Heating liquid using wire coils

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for making ferrofluid and the issue of heating the solution to near boiling without access to a bunsen burner or heating plate. The suggestion is made to use a small camping stove with solid fuel as an alternative method for heating the liquid. It is noted that the solid fuel is harmless and can be easily lit with a match. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to try this method and the potential for prolonged boiling by adding more fuel.
Vandalus
I'm trying to make ferrofluid according to this guide:
http://www.sci-spot.com/Chemistry/liqimag.htm
and in step 5 I need to heat the solution to near boiling but I don't have access to a bunsen burner or heating plate. Also I can't do this in the kitchen because this heating is to remove ammonia gas.

My question is can I heat a liquid to 100-110 degrees Celcius by wrapping a nichrome/constantan wire around a beaker and sending a current through it? Is there a better way to boil this liquid?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe you still buy small camping stoves from camping stores? They are just a small folding frame, and you break off a piece of of solid fuel and put a piece in the middle of the frame and lit it. Place it on some concrete outdoors and heat your liquid over it. Rather than heat the beaker directly, sit it in a saucepan of water and heat it to near boiling that way. https://www.google.com/search?q=solid+fuel+for+camping

The solid fuel is harmless to handle, it's white, and lights when you touch a match to it.

But will it provide enough heat though?

It boils a saucepan of water. I expect you can keep throwing in more fuel if you need prolonged boiling.

ok thanks. going to try that.

Related to Heating liquid using wire coils

1. How does heating liquid using wire coils work?

Wire coils are made of conductive material, usually copper or aluminum, which allows electricity to flow through them. When an electric current is passed through the coils, the resistance of the wire generates heat, which is then transferred to the liquid surrounding the coils.

2. What types of liquids can be heated using wire coils?

Wire coils can be used to heat a variety of liquids, including water, oil, and even some chemicals. However, it is important to make sure the coils are compatible with the specific liquid being heated to prevent any damage or safety hazards.

3. How do I control the temperature of the liquid when using wire coils?

The temperature of the liquid can be controlled by adjusting the voltage or current flowing through the wire coils. This can be done manually with a variable power supply or automatically with a thermostat or temperature controller.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using wire coils to heat liquid?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when using wire coils to heat liquid. This includes ensuring the coils are properly insulated, using a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) outlet, and handling the coils with caution when they are hot.

5. What are the advantages of using wire coils to heat liquid?

Wire coils offer a simple and efficient way to heat liquid. They can be easily installed and provide even heating throughout the liquid. They also allow for precise temperature control and can be used in a variety of applications, from laboratory experiments to industrial processes.