Can resistance wire and batteries be used to create a self-heating bottle?

In summary, the group is discussing ideas for a project to develop a self-heating bottle that can be powered by 3-4 AA batteries. The main concern is finding a wire that can generate enough heat to warm a beverage, and the group is considering using nichrome wire or shorting batteries attached to the bottle. However, there are concerns about the wire getting too hot and the batteries not lasting long enough. One member suggests using a wall outlet instead, and another suggests only using a small amount of heat to keep the beverage warm rather than heating it from room temperature. The project is for a physics class and is due in one month, but the group is starting early to experiment and get a head start. They are also seeking input and
briguy2188
hello, one of my projects is to develop some sort of self heating bottle. i must fabricate and build a working prototype. i have a couple of ideas. one is to use the same concept as a toaster. wrap the bottle in nichrome, a type of resistance wire. however, would the wire get hot enough to heat a beverage using maybe 3-4 AA batteries? is there another type of wire that you know of which will work? my other idea is to short 3-4 batteries attached to the bottle. i did some testing and found that this caused the battery to heat up very fast and the battery got very hot. i could be able to attach several double A batteries and short them...

i would however would like to run with the wire idea, as it will probably work better, providing that it will work off of a couple of batteries.

any input is appreciated, thanks guys.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you have the patience, read through this thread : https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=44551&highlight=butter

Do not overdraw from the batteries...they won't last very long that way, and your device will have a very short shelf life.

Do you want the bottle to heat up a beverage from room temperature, or just keep a hot beverage hot for a long time ?

If it is the first, it's going to be tricky. The problem with using batteries (say 4 AAs), is that you get a maximum power output of 6V*1A = 6W. A typical soda-can will hold at least 250cc of water. To heat that up from room temperature to kinda hot (~70C or about 170F), takes 250g*4.2J/g-C*50C = 60,000J. At the rate of 6W, this will take 2.5 hours to heat up.

You'd get there in about 5 minutes, if you could use a wall outlet instead.

If you only have to keep something hot by gently reheating, you can easily make this work.

"If you only have to keep something hot by gently reheating, you can easily make this work."

could you elaborate a bit?

hmmm...yes my first plan was to have a device that will heat a cold beverage up to something warmer...doesnt have to be hot necessarily, just warmer than its current state.

You need to compute, as Gokul has done, the amount of energy you need to accomplish what you need. Given your source voltage and the fact that [itex] P = \frac {E^2} R [/itex] you can find the resistance required. Since Nichrome has a well know resistivity you now know how long to make your wire.

could you help me out? I am a little rusty in doing these calculations. i know what V, I, and A are. i believe ohms law is V=IR? the amount of energy that i need is for the batteries or the wire? so then i find that resistance...then find a wire that will have that resistance? will i need to use Q=MC(T2-T1) ?

briguy2188 said:
"If you only have to keep something hot by gently reheating, you can easily make this work."
could you elaborate a bit?
Just a bit...I'm outta here in a couple of minutes.

If you had hot coffe in a thermos. It would stay hot enough for maybe 20-30 minutes. If you wanted it to stay hot for a couple of hours, you'd have to throw in just a tiny bit of heat to have it stay hot. That doesn't take much power.

hmmm...yes my first plan was to have a device that will heat a cold beverage up to something warmer...doesnt have to be hot necessarily, just warmer than its current state.
It all comes down to how much hotter you want to make the liquid. Inreasing the temperature by 10C (18F) from room temperature doesn't hardly make a tangible difference. You'll want at least a 30C increase in temperature to make the liquid noticeably warmer. And then you run into the problem I brought up in the previous post.

Did you read the other thread ?

PS : What grade are you in ? What class is this for ? And when is the deadline ?

briguy2188 said:
could you help me out? I am a little rusty in doing these calculations. i know what V, I, and A are. i believe ohms law is V=IR? the amount of energy that i need is for the batteries or the wire? so then i find that resistance...then find a wire that will have that resistance? will i need to use Q=MC(T2-T1) ?
Yes, that's what I used to calculate the 60,000J number in my first post.

On the other hand, if you want to warm up a refrigerated beverage to about room temperature (no idea why anyone would want to do that), that's only about a 15C increase in temperature.

it wouldn't be a refrigerated beverage..it would be something that a consumer has left in his or her car in cold weather for instance. I am in first year engineering and this project is for physics. we are going to be studying electricity in a week or so, so I am just going off my high school physics that i remember. this project isn't due for a month, as a matter of fact this project is sort of the culminating task for electricity. i just like to get a head start and start experimenting as soon as i can. sorry for the confusion. and thanks for your help, i will be starting those calculations and will post later, I am going to bed right now. me tired.

1. Give yourself a deadline one week before the real deadline. So you have three weeks. This is the only way to do something that's better than just enough.

2. Do you have a description of the project ? If you have a written description (as given by your prof), quote it exactly. If not, it is important to have a precise definition of the problem, so ask your prof for one (asking will be seen as a positive sign). You need to know (i) the typical volume of liquid that needs to be heated, (ii) the initial and final temperatures, and (iii) how much time is acceptable.

3. Goodnight.

PS : Incidentally there's another member here that goes to Uni at London, Ontario (UWO, is it?)...can't recall who.

Last edited:
To give you some food for thought, here is a homebrew design describing construction of a heater using http://www.dewbuster.com/heaters/nichrome.html using 330ohm 1/2W resistors, in a parallel arrangement. His design was intended for keeping the dew off the optical surfaces of a telescope and uses 12Vdc source.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Can resistance wire and batteries be used to create a self-heating bottle?

What is resistance wire?

Resistance wire is a type of wire that is specifically designed to have a higher resistance than regular wire. This higher resistance allows it to limit the amount of electrical current flowing through it, making it ideal for use in devices such as heating elements and resistors.

What are the different types of resistance wire?

There are several types of resistance wire, including Kanthal, Nichrome, and Nickel. Kanthal is made of iron, chromium, and aluminum and is commonly used in heating elements. Nichrome is made of nickel and chromium and is used in heating elements and electronic components. Nickel wire is made of pure nickel and is used in precision electronic components.

How is resistance wire used in batteries?

Resistance wire is often used in batteries to regulate the flow of electrical current. In some batteries, it is used as a heating element to increase the temperature and improve the performance of the battery. In others, it is used as a resistor to limit the amount of current flowing through the battery and prevent it from overheating.

What is the relationship between resistance wire and battery life?

The resistance wire in a battery plays a crucial role in determining its lifespan. If the resistance wire is too low, the battery may overheat and fail prematurely. On the other hand, if the resistance wire is too high, it may limit the flow of current and reduce the battery's performance. Finding the right balance is essential for maximizing battery life.

How do I choose the right resistance wire for my battery?

The best way to choose the right resistance wire for your battery is to consult with a professional. They can help you determine the appropriate type and gauge of wire based on your battery's specifications and intended use. It is essential to choose the right resistance wire to ensure the safety and optimal performance of your battery.