Have you found a successful method for studying algebra?

In summary, the speaker discusses their struggle with algebra skills after their first year of college and their plan to study Gelfand's book on algebra. They ask for advice on studying methods and mention their intention to follow the author's advice of solving problems and relating solutions to the text. Another person shares a similar experience and recommends using an online tutorial site. This approach led to their son becoming a successful math major and actuary.
twj2944
Hello everybody,

After my first year of college, I have found that my algebra skills are seriously lacking. Other than simple factoring, I don't feel like I retained anything from high school. (Stopped taking math in 10th grade with my "D" in algebra II) I have been able to take two semesters of calculus, but I feel like for me to continue my education in math, my skills in Algebra, Geometry, and Trig need development.

For this reason, today I am going to begin studying Gelfand's book on algebra.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0817636773/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I wonder - do any of you here have a particular method of studying which you find beneficial? It may not have to be related to this book or algebra in particular. One of my problems is reading the text, feeling like I understand the material, then moving on too quickly; resulting in very little retained knowledge.

I do intend to follow the author's advice of trying to solve each problem and then relating your solution to that which is provided in the text.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with Gelfand's advice ... it is the only way to go!

One of my sons had a similar problem with his studies after an algebra II disaster as a sophomore in HS.

So he decided to re-teach himself math, starting with algebra. He used this site:
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/

He actually got so excited as his understanding blossomed that he became a math major in college, and now works as an actuary!

Related to Have you found a successful method for studying algebra?

1. What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that uses symbols and letters to represent numbers and quantities, and manipulates these symbols to solve equations and understand relationships between variables.

2. Why is it important to study algebra?

Studying algebra helps develop critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and logical reasoning. It also provides a foundation for more advanced math courses and has practical applications in fields such as science, engineering, and finance.

3. What are some common methods for studying algebra?

Some common methods for studying algebra include practicing problems, using visual aids like diagrams and graphs, and working with a tutor or study group. Online resources and textbooks can also be helpful.

4. How do I know which method is best for me?

The best method for studying algebra may vary from person to person. It's important to find a method that works for you and stick with it. Experiment with different approaches and see which one helps you understand and retain the material better.

5. How can I improve my understanding of algebra?

To improve your understanding of algebra, it's important to regularly practice solving problems and reviewing concepts. Working with a tutor or study group can also be helpful, as well as finding real-world applications for the concepts you are learning.