Have a problem? read this first

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, congratulations to Greg Bernhardt on the launch of his new forum. There are a few issues that need to be addressed but overall it is a success.
Greg Bernhardt said:
Not sure what canbe done about that. It needs to be broken up some how. Responsive sizing would be neat though.
Sadly this makes anything but the shortest equations cut off in the mobile version :-(

In the old forum the page just got wider, which worked quite well in my view.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lord Crc said:
Sadly this makes anything but the shortest equations cut off in the mobile version :-(
Interesting observation, I'll have to go look

Greg Bernhardt said:
Interesting observation, I'll have to go look
FWIW it happens in both Opera Mobile and Firefox Mobile for me.

Mobile theme in general could be improved a lot with a few tweaks, especially the excessive empty spaces, but of course not a burning issue.

Lord Crc said:
especially the excessive empty spaces
I see the left padding issue in posts that make them cramped. Solving that will make a big difference.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I see the left padding issue in posts that make them cramped. Solving that will make a big difference.
That would be great indeed.

In any case thanks for the hard work. For some reason I hadn't seen the announcement despite visiting daily so came as a bit of a shock, but the switch seems to have gone very smooth, which I assume is due to much work and planning.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Two points: When I click reply in a thread, the previous text is automatically quoted. What is the "+quote" for, then?
There was a strange thread in the chemistry forum about how to write a sigma which had started some days ago. The overview didn't show when it started nor who had replied to it. Today, the tread isn't there any more. Are there more threads which got lost in transition?

DrDu said:
When I click reply in a thread, the previous text is automatically quoted. What is the "+quote" for, then?

The +quote is what was called multi-quote in the old forum. The reply is what we used to call quote.

Will there be a reply without quote as it is kind of nasty to delete long quotes?
How do I see that a thread has been moved?

DrDu said:
Will there be a reply without quote as it is kind of nasty to delete long quotes?
Just use the quick reply. I used it rarely in PF3 because I often needed more tools but now that everything is present in quick reply, I just use it all the time and there is no unwanted quotes.

DrDu said:
How do I see that a thread has been moved?

Depends. Sometimes you don't.

In general, when moving threads, we leave a redirection thread. However, we treat redirection threads as a junk, they are typically set to expire. If the thread had no answers redirection thread will be set to expire in a day or two. If there were many people involved, we can send alerts to all involved (or make the expiration longer) - but that won't work if you have only read the thread.

Great job on the new PF;) Less bugs than anything released by MS!

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Imager said:
Less bugs than anything released by MS!
We just have a good can of Raid :)

Imager said:
Great job on the new PF;) Less bugs than anything released by MS!

Oh, that's setting the bar really low ;) Greg did a much better job than just beating MS.

OK, here's a new one. In general, I like the new feature where the system remembers a post that you're writing even if you leave the page and come back later. However, if I wipe it out, it ignores that and keeps putting my unfinished post back. If I want to remove a draft, I have to either post something or replace it with a single character.

Borg said:
OK, here's a new one. In general, I like the new feature where the system remembers a post that you're writing even if you leave the page and come back later. However, if I wipe it out, it ignores that and keeps putting my unfinished post back. If I want to remove a draft, I have to either post something or replace it with a single character.
I've been seeing that problem on this very thread. This post should take care of it.

Edit: yep, finally gone...

Borg said:
If I want to remove a draft, I have to either post something or replace it with a single character.
Just discovered the "Drafts" button on the editor (Floppy disk icon). Click that and "Delete Draft".

The editor auto-saves a draft after a period of time.

Borg said:
I have to either post something or replace it with a single character.
Find the diskette icon in the editor bar, one of the drop down options is delete draft

Greg Bernhardt said:
Find the diskette icon in the editor bar, one of the drop down options is delete draft
Ah, I see it now. Thanks.

I just edited my signature and realized there was no "Font Size" option. I managed to get a smaller font for the link but it took a little work. Not a big deal though.

edit: The preview looked smaller (size 1) but not in this post.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
@Greg Bernhardt, is it possible to give us the option to close the "So you want to be a physicist" thing, at the top of /home? Most of us have already read it and it's just "wasting" space there..

DataGG said:
close the "So you want to be a physicist" thing

Click the little triangle-in-a-circle icon at the upper right of that area ("Dismiss Featured Thread").

Oops, it doesn't do anything for me. :oops:

DataGG said:
is it possible to give us the option to close the "So you want to be a physicist" thing

jtbell said:
Click the little triangle-in-a-circle icon at the upper right of that area ("Dismiss Featured Thread"). ...
Oops, it doesn't do anything for me. :oops:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Try now

Most excellent support! I like providing options - options are great! On my end, I'm jazzing/enjoying this particular featured topic, and don't plan to dismiss it for now. And with that said: OMG! That is quite a comprehensive resource for tomorrow's physicists to dedicate themselves toward their future goals. Kudos towards that! It's a most excellent "reality check" from my perspective, and if I wasn't 59 years old, I'd find it hard not to be tempted/assured that making this kind of commitment to my dream was well founded.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
Try now

Still no go. Mac OS, Firefox 32.0.3. It doesn't matter whether my tracker-blocker (Ghostery) is on or off.

[added] Aha, now I get it. The message "Dismiss Featured Thread" isn't just a tooltip, it's a menu item. I was just clicking on the triangle. :p

Last edited:
I'm about to take a leap of faith... :)) As much as I want to keep the "So you want to be a physicist..." on my browsers, I can't resists the desire to test, report, and help.

DISCLAIMER:
It doesn't help my comfort level that yesterday, when I was digging into icon font issues, Firefox alerted me to update. I agreed and was updated to Firefox 30.0. When I launched Firefox today to investigate this dismiss issue, I was alerted to the 30.0.2 update. After downloading and installing, I checked Firefox 'Help' only to find/precipitate the installation of version 30.0.3. :confused:

Opening a second tab now to try the dismiss... SUCCESS! It works for me.

TumblingDice said:
Opening a second tab now to try the dismiss... SUCCESS! It works for me.
Don't worry, I'll try to get a featured thread posted a few times a week :) Of course that depends on the quality of our threads at the moment :D

@Greg Bernhardt - logged back in under IE 11 on desktop. The featured thread is gone - guessing the setting must be a user data bit on the server (e.g., not a local cookie thing.) Can you turn it back on for me? :rolleyes:

Greg Bernhardt said:
mmmmm not really :( :D
No worries - I should have mentioned that. Sign me, "Looking forward!"

Ah yes, clicking on that triangle on a circle and choosing "Dismiss feature" works for me. No idea how I didn't see that sooner. Thank you all.

TumblingDice said:
@Greg Bernhardt - logged back in under IE 11 on desktop. The featured thread is gone - guessing the setting must be a user data bit on the server (e.g., not a local cookie thing.) Can you turn it back on for me? :rolleyes:
Goto My PF > Preferences and check "Restore dismissed featured threads".

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Thank you. I can't decide on one I really like. It's driving me crazy! :P