Guide to Programming Languages: Beginner's Path

In summary, the person is asking for guidance on what programming languages to learn as a first year computer science engineering student. They mention being familiar with C and C++ and being interested in Java. They receive advice that Java is a practical and widely used language, but may be more difficult to grasp due to its strong focus on object-oriented programming. They are advised to only pursue Java if they are truly interested in learning it.
Compengg
Guide me !

hi frnds,
i am doing my computer science engineering in India and i am in 1st year.I am interested to learn some languages as i am interested in programming.Can u people please guide me .:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

What languages are you interested in learning?

noblegas said:
What languages are you interested in learning?
as i am in 1st year only C nd C++ are the languages i am known and i am inetrested in and some of my friends have suggested me to do java??what about it

Compengg said:
as i am in 1st year only C nd C++ are the languages i am known and i am inetrested in and some of my friends have suggested me to do java??what about it

It'd be practical to learn 'cause it's one of the most used languages in industry (as is COBOL, but nobody teaches that anymore), and it's interesting. Basic Java has very similar syntax to C++ and a lot of the same rules, but it's much more strongly object oriented, so if you don't understand OOP (object oriented programming) you've got to wrap your head around it while learning java to be good at it. After you learn the basics, Java gets tricky. More complex Java is full of templates and libraries and you've got to get really good at using both.

story645 said:
It'd be practical to learn 'cause it's one of the most used languages in industry (as is COBOL, but nobody teaches that anymore), and it's interesting. Basic Java has very similar syntax to C++ and a lot of the same rules, but it's much more strongly object oriented, so if you don't understand OOP (object oriented programming) you've got to wrap your head around it while learning java to be good at it. After you learn the basics, Java gets tricky. More complex Java is full of templates and libraries and you've got to get really good at using both.
ok then shall i proceed with my friends suggestions??

Compengg said:
ok then shall i proceed with my friends suggestions??

Only if you're actually interested in the language.

story645 said:
Only if you're actually interested in the language.
Hmm thanks for ur needful replies thanks friend

Related to Guide to Programming Languages: Beginner's Path

1. What is a programming language?

A programming language is a set of instructions and rules used to create computer programs and applications. It is a way for humans to communicate with computers in order to perform specific tasks.

2. Why is learning programming languages important?

Learning programming languages is important because it allows individuals to create their own software, websites, and applications. It also helps develop critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities, which are valuable in many fields.

3. How do I choose which programming language to learn?

The best way to choose a programming language is to consider your goals and what you want to create. Some languages are better suited for specific tasks, so researching the different languages and their uses can help you decide which one to learn.

4. Do I need to have a technical background to learn programming languages?

No, you do not need to have a technical background to learn programming languages. While having a background in math or computer science can be helpful, anyone can learn programming with dedication and practice.

5. How long does it take to learn a programming language?

The time it takes to learn a programming language varies depending on the individual's learning style, dedication, and previous experience. Some people may pick it up quickly, while others may take longer to grasp the concepts. It also depends on the complexity of the language and the level of proficiency you want to achieve.