Guidance on classes I should take?

In summary, the speaker, a second semester sophomore at a lesser-known school for math, plans to take several advanced math classes by the end of junior year and has space for four more senior year. They have taught themselves analysis and number theory, and are interested in pursuing analytic number theory in graduate school. They are considering independent studies with professors in various areas, including analytic number theory, complex analysis, and multiple complex variables, and are also planning to study number theory through Hardy & Wright and Apostol's book. They are seeking advice on what else to study to prepare for analytic number theory and are considering asking a professor for an independent study in advanced complex analysis and multiple complex variables.
dh363
Hey guys, I'm a second semester sophomore who goes to a school that's not terribly well known for math. As such, I'll have taken most of the math classes I want to take by senior year (we don't have a very strong graduate program, so not a lot of good grad courses except for applied math/stats). By the end of junior year, I plan to have taken:

Multivariable Calculus
Linear Algebra
A proofs and problem solving class
Grad level Probability Theory and Applications
Abstract Algebra
Analysis I
Analysis II
Complex Analysis
ODEs
PDEs
Differential Geometry

I have around 4 spaces for more math classes senior year. I've taught myself analysis out of GF Simmons' book and number theory from Hardy and Wright. I'm very interested in going into analytic number theory for grad school. We have a few profs here whose research focuses on things from analysis, several complex variables, number theory, PDEs, etc, and I was thinking of asking some profs I know well to do independent studies with me, which the school allows with approval from the faculty member. I was wondering what sort of things I should learn to best position myself for studying analytic number theory in grad school

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, wouldn't it be best to actually take a book on analytic number theory and try to understand the material? You will likely not understand everything in the book, so you will have to read up on number theory and analysis.

Another thing you should know more about is complex analysis. You already took a course, but I bet you didn't come to the interesting parts yet. With complex analysis, it is for example possible to give a proof of the celebrated prime number theorem. Why don't you find a complex analysis textbook which contains that and study it? I know that Freitag & Busam contains a discussion and proof on the prime number theorem, and there are certainly other textbooks that do.

There are a lot of powerful methods used in analytic number theory. One of these methods is the so-called tauberian theory. Perhaps you could study that? Other techniques are "sieve methods".

Multiple complex variables is also used in modern analytic number theory, so it won't hurt to know something about that.

Probability theory is another thing you might study. A very recent development is in the study of number theory through the tools of probability. Maybe this can be of interest of you??

micromass said:
Hmm, wouldn't it be best to actually take a book on analytic number theory and try to understand the material? You will likely not understand everything in the book, so you will have to read up on number theory and analysis.

Another thing you should know more about is complex analysis. You already took a course, but I bet you didn't come to the interesting parts yet. With complex analysis, it is for example possible to give a proof of the celebrated prime number theorem. Why don't you find a complex analysis textbook which contains that and study it? I know that Freitag & Busam contains a discussion and proof on the prime number theorem, and there are certainly other textbooks that do.

There are a lot of powerful methods used in analytic number theory. One of these methods is the so-called tauberian theory. Perhaps you could study that? Other techniques are "sieve methods".

Multiple complex variables is also used in modern analytic number theory, so it won't hurt to know something about that.

Probability theory is another thing you might study. A very recent development is in the study of number theory through the tools of probability. Maybe this can be of interest of you??

I am planning on studying some number theory via Hardy & Wright, then try to learn some more analysis before moving onto Apostol's introduction to anlaytic number theory. Would this be too hard or a good progression?

I'm also thinking of approaching my complex analysis professor, who seems to like me a lot, and asking to do an independent study with him in more advanced complex analysis and then multiple complex variables (one of his research areas) the semester after that.

Related to Guidance on classes I should take?

1. What factors should I consider when choosing classes?

When choosing classes, you should consider your academic goals, interests, and strengths. You should also take into account any prerequisite courses that are required for your major or future career plans. Additionally, think about the workload and time commitment of each class, as well as your personal schedule and responsibilities.

2. How many classes should I take per semester?

The number of classes you should take per semester depends on your individual circumstances. Factors such as your academic abilities, course workload, and personal schedule should be considered. Generally, a full-time course load is around 12-15 credits, but this may vary depending on your school and major.

3. Should I take classes outside of my major?

Yes, it can be beneficial to take classes outside of your major. These classes can provide you with a well-rounded education and may help you develop new skills or interests. They can also be a way to fulfill general education requirements or earn a minor in another subject.

4. How do I know if a class will be too difficult for me?

Prior to enrolling in a class, you can research the course syllabus, read reviews from previous students, and talk to your academic advisor or classmates. You can also consider your past academic performance and how well you have done in similar courses. It's important to challenge yourself, but also be realistic about your abilities.

5. Can I change my class schedule once it's been finalized?

In most cases, yes, you can make changes to your class schedule. However, it's important to check with your school's policies and deadlines for adding or dropping classes. It's also recommended to talk to your academic advisor before making any changes to ensure that it aligns with your academic goals and requirements.