GRE / Chemistry Subject Test Studying

In summary, the speaker has recently begun studying for the GRE and plans to take it in either the spring or summer. They intend to go to graduate school for chemistry in the fall of 2010 and have bought a Kaplan test prep book for the regular GRE, but realized they also need to take the subject test. After researching on Amazon, they found mixed reviews for subject test study guides and are asking for recommendations on a good book to use for the Chemistry GRE subject test. The speaker also asks for any other tips for taking the GRE and subject test. The response suggests using a Princeton Review study guide and practicing with old textbooks, as well as taking practice exams to develop test-taking skills. They also recommend starting early and using a test prep
bluezor
Hey all, I've recently begun studying for the GRE and plan on taking the test this spring or summer. My intent is to go to graduate school for chemistry in the fall of 2010. I bought the Kaplan test prep for the regular GRE but realized that I will have to take the subject as well.

I looked on amazon for potential subject test study guides and found a mass of 2.5/5 reviews, many reviewers stated they would have been better off studying old textbooks rather than the test prep book.

So my questions are this:

1. Is there a book that you would recommend for the Chemistry GRE subject test?

2. If not, what would you recommend studying for the subject test?

3. What other pearls of wisdom do you have regarding taking the GRE / subject test?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's true, there's nothing really good out there. I used the Princeton Review one, Cracking the GRE Chemistry, and it was decent. Review books help in that they condense the material. Many critics will say to study old textbooks ... but when you're studying for the GRE, you will not (and should not!) re-read all of your textbooks. The Chemistry GRE is (unfortunately) largely a test of memorization - especially when it comes to organic chemistry, and cramming reactions into your head before you go and take the exam can be surprisingly beneficial. Above all else, take practice exams! Go over them, find your weaknesses, check the ones you guessed on, find ways to rule out wrong answers - you'll hopefully develop good GRE-test-taking intuition. Good luck.

If you are starting this early, I would recommend getting a test prep book (isn't there one that ETS publishes?) to get to know the syllabus well, but prepare from standard textbooks.

Related to GRE / Chemistry Subject Test Studying

What is the GRE Chemistry Subject Test?

The GRE Chemistry Subject Test is an exam designed to assess a student's knowledge and understanding of fundamental concepts in chemistry. It is often required for admission to graduate programs in chemistry or related fields.

What topics are covered on the GRE Chemistry Subject Test?

The GRE Chemistry Subject Test covers a wide range of topics including analytical chemistry, organic chemistry, physical chemistry, and biochemistry. It also includes questions on laboratory techniques and data analysis.

How should I prepare for the GRE Chemistry Subject Test?

To prepare for the GRE Chemistry Subject Test, it is important to review fundamental concepts in chemistry and practice solving problems. You can also find study materials and practice tests online or through test prep books. It may also be helpful to work with a tutor or join a study group.

How long is the GRE Chemistry Subject Test?

The GRE Chemistry Subject Test is 2 hours and 50 minutes long. It consists of 130 multiple-choice questions, with a mix of standalone questions and questions based on data sets and experiments.

How is the GRE Chemistry Subject Test scored?

The GRE Chemistry Subject Test is scored on a scale of 200-990, with 200 being the lowest possible score and 990 being the highest. Your score is based on the number of questions you answer correctly, and there is no penalty for incorrect answers. The score report also includes percentile ranks, which show how your score compares to other test-takers.