Graduate schools in quantum information theory in US and UK

In summary, an undergraduate majoring in maths or physics from a US university is taking a year abroad at the University of Bristol in the UK. After this academic year, they will go back to their home university to finish their degree. The quantum information (QI) researches at the department of mathematics at the University of Bristol is quite inter-disciplinary and interesting to the student, so they talked to a QI professor here. The QI professor told the student that he prefers a student to be comfortable with high-level maths, and that the student should choose carefully which theoretical courses they are going to take before graduating. The student is not considering taking experimental physics courses because they think it's risky to try to be a jack of all trades
Truecrimson
Hi. I'm an undergrad majoring in maths/physics from a US university now taking a year abroad at university of Bristol (UOB) in UK. After this academic year, I'll go back to study in my home university for a year and then graduate. The quantum information (QI) researches at the department of mathematics at UOB is quite inter-disciplinary and very interesting to me. So I talked with a QI professors here and he told me that he prefers a student to be comfortable with high-level maths and that I should choose carefully which theoretical courses I'm going to take before I graduate.

Now, even though I'm technically a math major, I planned to graduate with a minimum number of math courses that I thought useful for physics, because virtually any physics professor at my home university encourage me to do lab researches rather than taking math courses. But I'm perfectly fine with taking theoretical math courses. I enjoy them a lot. In fact, because of what the QI professor said, now I have a practical motivation to take those courses other than just for fun.

But the problem is, I've never considered this turn of event before. So far, my courseworks balance theoretical and experimental courses. I even thought that, if I have an opportunity to do experiment, I may be fine with it. But now that I want to go all out on theoretical physics/maths to prepare for this UOB master-PhD program in applied maths, it's never guaranteed that I'll get accepted. So do anyone know of grad school that are good at theoretical QI, and it's realistic to hope to get in? I know there're MIT, Waterloo, OxBridge out there, but the probability to get accepted for theoretical physics is even lower than for experimental physics. (For UOB, at least I can score good grades in the courses that I'm taking.) Or should I still prepare for experimental physics? I'm not considering this option myself because I think it's risky to try to be a jack of all trades in this situation.

Thank you for your patience reading my long post.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a QI group at the University of Nottingham, in the UK, that I know of: http://www.maths.nottingham.ac.uk/research/applied_mathematics/quantum_information/
It's based in the maths group, along with the quantum gravity group, so it's certaintly theoretical...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. By the way, how hard is it to apply to IQC at Waterloo? http://www.iqc.ca/positions/graduate/ It's new, but probably someone can give an estimate of what a student from a typical US university needs to think about.

Related to Graduate schools in quantum information theory in US and UK

1. What is quantum information theory?

Quantum information theory is a branch of physics and computer science that studies the processing, transmission, and storage of information at the quantum level. It combines concepts from quantum mechanics, information theory, and computer science to understand and utilize the unique properties of quantum systems for information processing.

2. What are some top graduate schools for studying quantum information theory in the US?

Some top graduate schools for studying quantum information theory in the US include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), University of California, Berkeley, University of Colorado Boulder, and University of Maryland. These schools have renowned faculty, well-equipped research facilities, and strong programs in quantum information theory.

3. Are there any graduate schools in the UK that specialize in quantum information theory?

Yes, there are several graduate schools in the UK that offer programs in quantum information theory. Some notable ones include University of Oxford, University of Cambridge, and University of Bristol. These schools have leading research groups and collaborations in the field, providing valuable opportunities for students.

4. What are the admission requirements for graduate programs in quantum information theory?

Admission requirements may vary slightly between schools, but in general, students are expected to have a strong background in physics, mathematics, and computer science. Most programs also require GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose. Some schools may also require applicants to have completed coursework in quantum mechanics and information theory.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates with a degree in quantum information theory?

Graduates with a degree in quantum information theory can pursue careers in research, academia, and industry. They may work in fields such as quantum computing, cryptography, and quantum communication. Some specific job titles may include quantum information scientist, quantum algorithm developer, and quantum hardware engineer.