Graduate school profile for Caltech

In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate studying aerospace engineering at Texas A&M and plans to attend CalTech for grad school. They are seeking advice on what they need to have on their profile for the application, as well as how to secure a SURF (Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship) at CalTech. They mention their GPA and express interest in the research opportunities at CalTech. They also share a forum where they found information on accepted and denied applicants to various schools, but note that it may not be relevant for aerospace engineering. They then ask for suggestions on how to get a SURF at CalTech. The speaker shares their own experience and advises that having an introduction or recommendation from a professor may increase chances of being accepted into the program
64lakers
I am an undergrad at Texas A&M, College Station studying aerospace engg. I started college this past spring and will be a sophomore this fall, meaning I start taking aerospace classes,finally! I am aiming to go to CalTech for grad school for the same, Can someone please provide what all I will need to have on my profile when I do apply. Since I had not taken any classes with my own dept my freshman year, I did not get any research there for the summer, but I have been working with CMS group at my univ for this summer.

GPA should not really be an issue, if hells falls down then maybe i drop to a 3.7 by the time I graduate, but I understand that is not enough for caltech, What really makes an Ideal profile for caltech?

Also does anyone have any idea how to get a SURF at caltech? I really want to do that, the research opportunities seem awesome, read some papers that came out from surf, i really want to do it. Any ideas on that?

Physics news on Phys.org
64lakers said:
I am an undergrad at Texas A&M, College Station studying aerospace engg. I started college this past spring and will be a sophomore this fall, meaning I start taking aerospace classes,finally! I am aiming to go to CalTech for grad school for the same, Can someone please provide what all I will need to have on my profile when I do apply. Since I had not taken any classes with my own dept my freshman year, I did not get any research there for the summer, but I have been working with CMS group at my univ for this summer.

GPA should not really be an issue, if hells falls down then maybe i drop to a 3.7 by the time I graduate, but I understand that is not enough for caltech, What really makes an Ideal profile for caltech?

Also does anyone have any idea how to get a SURF at caltech? I really want to do that, the research opportunities seem awesome, read some papers that came out from surf, i really want to do it. Any ideas on that?

Take a look at this forum, http://www.physicsgre.com/viewforum.php?f=3 , click on one of the stickies above to look at the credentials of those who were accepted or denied at X school.

However, the threads are based on physics majors so I'm not sure how relevant it is for aerospace engineering. Try searching google, or as some might say "googling."

I did SURF at Caltech in 2011 - my advice (gathered from completely anecdotal evidence from other non-Caltech students) is that the best way to get into the SURF program is to know a professor who knows the professor at Caltech that you want to work for. Many of the professors get a lot of cold emails asking about SURF, and so a introduction/recommendation from someone that they already know goes a long way. That was essentially how I ended up there, and I knew a few other students who ended up there the same way. Though I can't say whether or not that is the most common way.

Related to Graduate school profile for Caltech

What is the admission process for graduate school at Caltech?

The admission process for graduate school at Caltech is highly competitive. Applicants are required to submit their academic transcripts, GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. The admissions committee also considers research experience, publications, and the fit of the applicant's research interests with those of the faculty.

What are the top graduate programs offered at Caltech?

Caltech is known for its strong programs in the sciences and engineering. Some of the top graduate programs include chemistry, physics, biology, computer science, and engineering. The graduate program in geology and geophysics is also highly regarded.

What is the average duration of a graduate program at Caltech?

The duration of a graduate program at Caltech varies depending on the field of study and the individual's progress. On average, most students take 5-6 years to complete their PhD, while master's programs typically take 2-3 years.

Is financial aid available for graduate students at Caltech?

Yes, Caltech offers financial aid to graduate students in the form of research and teaching assistantships, fellowships, and scholarships. These awards cover tuition and provide a stipend for living expenses. Students are also encouraged to seek external funding opportunities.

What resources are available for graduate students at Caltech?

Caltech provides a range of resources to support graduate students, including access to state-of-the-art research facilities, a dedicated library, career development services, and health and wellness resources. The Graduate Student Council also organizes social and academic events to foster a sense of community among students.