Graduate School Focus: 3 Years of Solar Plasma Physics Research

In summary, a student is entering their second year of undergraduate studies as an astronomy and physics double major. They have a strong interest in black holes, high energy astrophysics, and cosmology and plan to study one of these in graduate school. However, they have been offered a job at NASA Godard Space Flight Center for the next 3 years to work on solar plasma physics research. The student is wondering if they should still pursue graduate school in this field if their interests change after the 3 years. The advice given is to take the opportunity for the valuable research experience and not limit oneself to only graduate study in this area, as graduate admissions committees understand the need for exploration and decisions based on available opportunities. The mentors at NASA are
MikeBeer
Hey everyone, I'm entering my second undergraduate year as an astronomy and physics double major. I've always had an interest in black holes, high energy astrophysics, and cosmology; consequentially, I've planned to study one of these in graduate school. However, over the summer I've been working full-time at NASA Godard Space Flight Center for two scientists on the STEREO spacecraft doing solar plasma physics research. We haven't gotten too deep into detail yet, but I still enjoy it. To get to the point, they just offered me job to stay and work for them until I graduate, so for the next 3 years, which I took without hesitation. They made it a point to let me know I can stop at any time I lose interest or decide not to move forward. My question is this - if after the 3 years my interest in solar plasma physics doesn't match up my interest in other topics, would you still suggest I go to graduate school for it since I'll have so much experience? The two scientists I work for said by the end of three years I'll know as much about plasma physics as any 3rd year graduate student, so naturally it seems like it would definitely be easier to succeed in graduate school with such a deep understanding. I know I still have plenty of time to decide, but I just don't want to regret my choice later on in my career. What do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
My advice would be to take it for what it is: an excellent opportunity to advance your understanding of physics and gain some valuable research experience. While this position will certainly give you an advantage if you decide to continue in space/plasma physics, by no means will you be limited to graduate study in that area.

Graduate admissions committees understand that undergraduates need to explore different areas and that often decisions about research are made based on the available opportunities at the time.

This sounds like a great position with some mentors that are willing to help you out in your career. Best of luck.

A gree with Choppy- you have an excellent opportunity to work with mentors who seem genuinely interested in you. That's a benefit that goes well beyond any specific knowledge you will pick up.

Related to Graduate School Focus: 3 Years of Solar Plasma Physics Research

1. What is solar plasma physics research?

Solar plasma physics research involves studying the behavior and properties of plasma, a state of matter consisting of highly ionized gas, within the context of the sun. This includes understanding the dynamics of solar flares, coronal mass ejections, and other solar phenomena.

2. What are the benefits of focusing on solar plasma physics research in graduate school?

Focusing on solar plasma physics research in graduate school offers numerous benefits, such as gaining a deeper understanding of the sun and its impact on our planet and society, developing skills in data analysis and scientific writing, and contributing to the advancement of scientific knowledge in this field.

3. What kind of research activities are typically involved in a 3-year graduate program in solar plasma physics?

A 3-year graduate program in solar plasma physics may involve a combination of theoretical and experimental research activities. This could include analyzing data from solar observations, developing and testing theoretical models, and conducting experiments in a laboratory setting.

4. What skills and qualifications are necessary for success in solar plasma physics research?

To be successful in solar plasma physics research, one should have a strong background in physics, mathematics, and computer science. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills are crucial for data analysis and scientific writing.

5. Is solar plasma physics research a rapidly developing field?

Yes, solar plasma physics research is a rapidly developing field due to advances in technology and increased interest in understanding the sun and its impact on Earth. This makes it an exciting and dynamic area for graduate students to pursue their research interests.