Graduate Programs in Applied Math

In summary, the speaker is seeking information about graduate programs in applied math and the general GPA requirements for top-25 programs. They have taken many math classes but do not have a pure math major. They are also concerned about the GREs and are considering applying to the Cornell Center for Applied Math. Another speaker mentions that not majoring in pure math should not hurt their chances, but a high GPA is preferred. They also mention that some applied math programs may require the math subject GRE and they have not taken all the necessary courses. Recommendations for programs are also requested.
xxthecrowxx
Hi all.

I am trying to get a sense for applications to graduate programs in applied math. What are the general GPA requirements for top-25 programs? I am currently doubling majoring in Physics and Economics looking to do applied mathematical modeling of social science problems (game theory, network theory, ect, ect). I have taken A LOT of math classes, almost enough for a major, but will not having a pure math major hurt my chances? Finally, recommendations for programs to look at are appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
i'm also considering applying to the top 10-25 applied math grad schools next fall

i don't think not majoring in pure math hurts you. for the top schools, of course the closer to 4.0 the better

the main thing I'm worried about are the GREs. some applied math grad schools still want you to take the math subject GRE, and i haven't taken topology, abstract algebra, and only 1 semester of analysis

Related to Graduate Programs in Applied Math

1. What is the difference between a graduate program in applied math and a graduate program in pure math?

A graduate program in applied math focuses on the practical applications of mathematical principles, while a graduate program in pure math focuses on theoretical concepts and proofs. Applied math programs may also involve interdisciplinary studies, such as combining math with engineering or biology.

2. What are the job prospects for graduates with a degree in applied math?

Graduates with a degree in applied math have a wide range of job opportunities, as their skills are in high demand across many industries. They may work as data analysts, financial analysts, operations researchers, statisticians, or in research and development for companies.

3. What types of courses can I expect to take in a graduate program in applied math?

Graduate programs in applied math typically include courses in advanced calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, numerical analysis, and statistics. They may also offer specialized courses in areas such as optimization, mathematical modeling, and computer science.

4. Is research a requirement for a graduate program in applied math?

Most graduate programs in applied math do require students to complete a research project as part of their degree requirements. This may involve working with a faculty advisor on a specific topic or completing a capstone project that demonstrates the application of mathematical concepts to a real-world problem.

5. Can I pursue a graduate program in applied math if my undergraduate degree is in a different field?

It is possible to pursue a graduate program in applied math with a different undergraduate degree, but it may require taking additional prerequisite courses to ensure a solid foundation in math. Some programs may also offer a bridge program for students who have an undergraduate degree in a related field, such as engineering or physics.