Grad Schools 2006-2007: UW Madison Particle Physics Updates

• Schools
  • Thread starter plancklength
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grad Schools
In summary: I'm talking about Ivy League schools.Let's put it this way. UW-Madison is part of the consortium that runs Fermilab for the DOE. So yes, it has a VERY good particle physics/high energy physics program. They even built some of the detectors used there.However, I don't think a 3.4 GPA, one summer of research, and a good senior project will be enough to get into their semiconductor physics/photonics program.
plancklength
Has anyone heard back from grad schools yet? And does anyone know how UW-Madison stacks up with other schools in particle physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
yes

I've heard back from a few. Acceptances so far. I'm rather surprised by that - I was expecting nothing till March.

However, nothing from the "name" schools yet. Nerve-wracking, isn't it?

No idea about Madison for particle physics.

Let's put it this way. UW-Madison is part of the consortium that runs Fermilab for the DOE. So yes, it has a VERY good particle physics/high energy physics program. They even built some of the detectors used there.

Zz.

Well, a friend of mine got rejected from Stanford. But nope, no other schools.

Yeah I didn't get into Stanford either. They were kind enough to reject me on Valentine's day...Still waiting to hear back from Cornell though...

My professor who got his Ph.D from Stanford and taught at MIT for a few years told me the in and outs of getting into grad school at places like MIT, Stanford, etc. He pretty much told me that successful applicants have a ~4.0 GPA. This was for engineering though. Not sure about physics.

Corneo said:
My professor who got his Ph.D from Stanford and taught at MIT for a few years told me the in and outs of getting into grad school at places like MIT, Stanford, etc. He pretty much told me that successful applicants have a ~4.0 GPA. This was for engineering though. Not sure about physics.

Looks like I'm not going to MIT or Stanford for grad school then.

Corneo said:

My friend who got rejected I think has about 3.8 or 3.9 GPA on your scale, had a score of 940 on GRE subject and had some research at CERN (3 months during the summer i think), but didn't have anything published. And also I think that he didn't have recommendation from anyone close to Stanford, so that might actually be the main reason. As already mentioned before (in older topics) it seems that a recommendation letter from someone close to that University is the best thing you can do to increase your chances.

I'm talking about physics.

Also, this friend told me about site http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php, as you can check here if particular school started to send results.

Last edited:
What about a student with a 3.4 GPA, one summer of research, a good senior project, and a dual degree in electrical engineering and applied physics? Would they have a fighting chance at getting into the semiconductor physics program (or maybe photonics) at a big name university? At this point, I won't be able to get any stellar letters of recommendations, and I have no idea what my GRE scores will be.

In fact, I still have 2 years to go yet, but this is where I hope to be at when it comes time to apply to graduate schools...My GPA might end up being a 3.1 or something, with no research experience, you never know.

Last edited:
I'm curious what the effect of having published papers as an undergrad would be.

leright said:
What about a student with a 3.4 GPA, one summer of research, a good senior project, and a dual degree in electrical engineering and applied physics? Would they have a fighting chance at getting into the semiconductor physics program (or maybe photonics) at a big name university? At this point, I won't be able to get any stellar letters of recommendations, and I have no idea what my GRE scores will be.

From what I hear, to get into "big name" university you need to have perfect (or almost perfect) recommendations, GRE scores, GPA and a significant research. Considering how much people applies to these schools, it's not really a surprise.

franznietzsche said:
I'm curious what the effect of having published papers as an undergrad would be.

Well it would probably increase the chance of being accepted. It would also show that a person has very probably done some research and what exactly. In other words, it would be something to show up ( I guess).

Igor_S said:
From what I hear, to get into "big name" university you need to have perfect (or almost perfect) recommendations, GRE scores, GPA and a significant research. Considering how much people applies to these schools, it's not really a surprise.

Well it would probably increase the chance of being accepted. It would also show that a person has very probably done some research and what exactly. In other words, it would be something to show up ( I guess).

When I say "big name", I don't necessarily mean cal tech, MIT, stanford, etc. I mean schools like UM - ann arbor, UIUC, etc.

Igor_S said:

Obviously it would be a positive, what I meant is what kind of weight would it be given. I know its fairly common to REUs as an undergrad (and pretty much a requirement if one wants to get into a upper end grad school) but those don't usually result in a peer reviewed publication for the students involved, which to my knowledge is a fairly rare achievement.

franznietzsche said:
Obviously it would be a positive, what I meant is what kind of weight would it be given. I know its fairly common to REUs as an undergrad (and pretty much a requirement if one wants to get into a upper end grad school) but those don't usually result in a peer reviewed publication for the students involved, which to my knowledge is a fairly rare achievement.

I'm not sure. But most people I contacted so far, who are in grad school, told me it would be a big plus to have your research work published.

As for UIUC, my friend got rejected, she had around 800 physics GRE, I think around 3.8 GPA and a little research (as far as I know). But if you're not international student (like her) you might have better chance...

Yes international students seem to need much higher test scores for some reason. As for published research at the undergraduate level, my small experience so far has been that a publication will significantly boost your chances of acceptance at some of the big name schools. It may even make up for a less than stellar GPA or physics GRE score. That's not to say it's the end all and be all, I know a few international students who have done a couple years of research but not produced any publications and have been accepted to several "top ten" physics programs.

Well international students are obviously not priority for universities which are funded by goverment. I mean it makes sense since these ARE american universities. I don't think its different in any other country.

Btw, my other friend got rejected from Princeton. :( He had 4.9/5.0 GPA, 970 physics GRE (2 percentile or something like that), summer research at CERN (and wrote a diploma thesis with someone there). I don't know if his advisor at CERN was familiar to people at Princeton. But he had nothing published, though. On the bright side, he did get admitted to Wisconsin-Madison.

Related to Grad Schools 2006-2007: UW Madison Particle Physics Updates

1. What updates have been made to the UW Madison Particle Physics program for the 2006-2007 school year?

For the 2006-2007 school year, the UW Madison Particle Physics program has undergone several updates, including the addition of new faculty members, the expansion of research opportunities, and the implementation of a new curriculum that emphasizes hands-on experience and collaboration.

2. How does the UW Madison Particle Physics program compare to other graduate programs in the field?

The UW Madison Particle Physics program is highly ranked among other graduate programs in the field. It is consistently ranked in the top 10 by U.S. News & World Report and has a strong reputation for its research facilities and faculty expertise.

3. What research opportunities are available for graduate students in the UW Madison Particle Physics program?

Graduate students in the UW Madison Particle Physics program have access to a wide range of research opportunities, including projects at the Wisconsin IceCube Particle Astrophysics Center, the Fermilab particle accelerator, and the Large Hadron Collider at CERN. Students also have the opportunity to work with renowned faculty members on cutting-edge research projects.

4. What types of career opportunities are available for graduates of the UW Madison Particle Physics program?

Graduates of the UW Madison Particle Physics program have a variety of career options available to them. Many choose to pursue careers in academia, working as professors or researchers at universities and research institutions. Others may find opportunities in industry or government, utilizing their skills in data analysis, problem-solving, and innovation.

5. How does the UW Madison Particle Physics program prepare students for their future careers?

The UW Madison Particle Physics program provides students with a strong foundation in theoretical and experimental physics, as well as practical skills such as data analysis and programming. Graduates also gain valuable experience through research opportunities, collaborations, and presentations at conferences. The program aims to develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills that are highly valued in the field of particle physics and beyond.