Grad school for nuclear engineering.

In summary, the speaker is researching fusion and traditional fission power systems and is currently attending the University of Maryland with a 3.71 GPA. They mention struggling in one class and being interested in certain subjects, but also wanting to gain more engineering experience. They are considering taking the GRE and reaching out to schools directly for admissions information. They also mention wanting to keep costs low and are open to international programs. The speaker also discusses top schools for fusion engineering, including the University of Wisconsin-Madison and the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, and the impact of MIT's fusion program being offline. They advise the speaker to research professors and their recent publications, and to consider taking the GRE this summer.
Fusiontron
I'm mostly looking into fusion but also traditional fission power systems. Good schools seem to be Michigan, Illinois, Cal, MIT maybe a few others. I go to the University of Maryland. Right now I have a 3.71 GPA, downward trending though 4.00 -> 3.55 -> 3.53 over the first three years. I got my first C this past semester, bombed the QM final after I had a solid B. I am majoring in MechE and physics. But I've well in the classes I've been most interested in: the theromfluids track, statistical mechanics, E&M. Problem is I've only finally been able to start doing any real engineering work, right now I'm doing some coding and working on a refrigeration system. I've made some decent connections for recs here. I guess my plan for the fall is to have a good semester GPA-wise and try to get some good preliminary results for this research I'm doing. I'm wondering if it is advised to take the GRE this summer and then again in the fall? Also, should I contact these schools directly for admissions info for the specific departments? I've heard you need to do the shotgun approach if you want to get into any PhD program. But I'm really trying to keep costs low. Feel free to recommend other programs as well, even international-I speak Spanish.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fusiontron said:
I'm mostly looking into fusion but also traditional fission power systems. Good schools seem to be Michigan, Illinois, Cal, MIT maybe a few others. I go to the University of Maryland. Right now I have a 3.71 GPA, downward trending though 4.00 -> 3.55 -> 3.53 over the first three years. I got my first C this past semester, bombed the QM final after I had a solid B. I am majoring in MechE and physics. But I've well in the classes I've been most interested in: the theromfluids track, statistical mechanics, E&M. Problem is I've only finally been able to start doing any real engineering work, right now I'm doing some coding and working on a refrigeration system. I've made some decent connections for recs here. I guess my plan for the fall is to have a good semester GPA-wise and try to get some good preliminary results for this research I'm doing. I'm wondering if it is advised to take the GRE this summer and then again in the fall? Also, should I contact these schools directly for admissions info for the specific departments? I've heard you need to do the shotgun approach if you want to get into any PhD program. But I'm really trying to keep costs low. Feel free to recommend other programs as well, even international-I speak Spanish.

Top schools for Fusion engineering: University of Wisconsin-Madison, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, MIT (Uh oh http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/blog/mass_roundup/2013/05/mit-to-cut-nuclear-fusion-program.html), and UC Berkeley. Most major nuclear programs will have a course or two in it or some related research.

Overall, the top schools in nuclear engineering is here: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...ineering-schools/nuclear-engineering-rankings. Good programs outside the top ten are Oregon State University, Ohio State University, and RPI. There are a lot of good programs though, but you should really look for the professors who have good ongoing research programs in Nuclear Fusion and pick accordingly.

Also see this topic: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4393344#post4393344

MIT's tokamak is now offline? Too bad. I might have to go for physics grad school but my GPA is kind of low for that.

Fusiontron said:
MIT's tokamak is now offline? Too bad. I might have to go for physics grad school but my GPA is kind of low for that.

University of Wisconsin-Madison and University of Michigan Ann-Arbor both have very good fusion engineering research/academic programs as well. MIT's fusion programs isn't the only good one available.

I know. It's just I knew about the problem with MIT's program back last fall, just it actually happened. I guess at this point I'm just going to have to look through individual professors's research. My advisor said getting a recommendation from this one big name guy will give me a huge edge. Can you speak to this?

Fusiontron said:
I know. It's just I knew about the problem with MIT's program back last fall, just it actually happened. I guess at this point I'm just going to have to look through individual professors's research. My advisor said getting a recommendation from this one big name guy will give me a huge edge. Can you speak to this?

MIT still has a good core group of professors/researchers who do fusion research. Honestly I doubt loosing their reactor will affect the quality of their research.

I would highly advise you ask your current research adviser about good fusion engineering professors in addition to your own research. Also, look up recent papers or conference publications from professors and see if their research is truly interesting.

Do you know the big name guy? Have you work for him/her? Had conversations related to the subject of interest with him/her? Had a class where they were the teacher? This is important because a subpar recommendation from a big name/high impact person might not be as useful as a fantastic recommendation from someone not as well known.

Fusiontron said:
I'm wondering if it is advised to take the GRE this summer and then again in the fall? Also, should I contact these schools directly for admissions info for the specific departments? I've heard you need to do the shotgun approach if you want to get into any PhD program. But I'm really trying to keep costs low. Feel free to recommend other programs as well, even international-I speak Spanish.

I would take the GRE at least once this summer. It is something you SHOULD study for and try to do the best you can on it OVERALL. You need to score at least above 150 for the quant/qual (the higher the best on the quant) and at least a 4 on the writing for most nuclear engineering programs. Give yourself as much breathing room as you can. Take it twice if you need to, but remember spending 160+ dollars and 4+ hours of testing is not something worth doing twice if you can prevent it. A lot of nuclear engineering programs have their admissions info on their department websites, but contacting their graduate advisers (not professors) can't hurt. Nuclear Engineering graduate programs fund their PhD track graduate students as TAs first and then RAs once they are picked up as research assistant by a professor. Nuclear Engineering graduate programs usually are pretty well funded and most PhD track students get some kind of stipend and tuition wavier.

Also, feel free to contact me through PMs if you want more specific information.

Related to Grad school for nuclear engineering.

1. What are the prerequisites for entering a graduate program in nuclear engineering?

The specific prerequisites may vary depending on the university and program, but generally, applicants should have a Bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field, such as physics or chemistry. Some programs may also require specific coursework in math, science, and engineering principles.

2. What is the typical duration of a graduate program in nuclear engineering?

Most graduate programs in nuclear engineering take 2-3 years to complete, depending on whether the student is pursuing a Master's or Ph.D. degree. Some universities also offer accelerated programs that can be completed in a shorter timeframe.

3. How much does it cost to attend graduate school for nuclear engineering?

The cost of attendance for graduate programs in nuclear engineering can vary significantly, depending on factors such as the university, program, and whether the student is a domestic or international student. On average, tuition and fees for a graduate program in this field can range from $30,000 to $50,000 per year.

4. What types of research opportunities are available in graduate school for nuclear engineering?

Nuclear engineering is a diverse field with many research opportunities, including nuclear reactor design and safety, radiation detection and protection, nuclear materials and waste management, and nuclear medicine. Students can also work on interdisciplinary research projects in collaboration with other departments, such as physics, chemistry, and materials science.

5. Are there any specific career opportunities for graduates with a degree in nuclear engineering?

Graduates with a degree in nuclear engineering can pursue various career paths, including working in the nuclear power industry, national laboratories, government agencies, and research institutions. They can also find opportunities in non-nuclear industries, such as medical imaging, nuclear medicine, and environmental remediation. Additionally, a Ph.D. in nuclear engineering can open up opportunities for teaching and research positions in academia.