Got an MS admission offer -- Have some questions

• Admissions
  • Thread starter random_soldier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Admission
In summary, the individual has received a positive reply from the University of Florida for the MS Nuclear Engineering program. They are curious about any specific information regarding the university or the program, and whether their background in Electronics and Communications will have any impact. They are also interested in preemptive measures to ease themselves into their studies and the research scene at the MS level. They have questions about the process of writing a thesis and finding a suitable topic, as well as any obligations to draw from their background. The individual is also concerned about the financial aspect and possible limitations or issues with not receiving significant aid. They mention being an international student and the potential for scholarships or assistantships in the future. Finally, they question if there are any other problems that may
random_soldier
I had applied to several universities and got a positive reply from the University of Florida for the program in MS Nuclear Engineering.

Anyway, these are my questions:

1. Is there anything I should be aware of in particular about the university or the program at this university? Whatever you guys know is fine. It would be too much of me to ask everybody detailed info on this.
  2. My undergraduate background is in Electronics and Communications so that might make people a bit skeptical. However, I have this admission offer now. They must have seen something and regardless of what it is, if something trivial, I will not back off from any and all work it takes me to make the most of this opportunity and beyond that. What preemptive measures can I take prior to joining to ease myself to the greatest degree into my studies?
  3. The letter says that I have to respond by April 15. Obviously, I am still waiting for other responses. It is not possible that they would rescind the offer prior to that date, would they?
  4. What is the research scene like at the MS level? My thesis will be the most important, I have come to learn, but is there anything else I can or should do during my MS to improve my credentials as a researcher in this field? I am not particularly familiar with the process it takes to become a fully fledged and recognized researcher. I only know a few bits and pieces such as you have to work well with other recognized professionals in the field on research projects, internships during summers/after the program, perhaps submitting some papers of your own (though, you have to be affiliated with a recognized institute in my understanding). However, this is a bit vague, so is there anything that I should specifically be informed of?
  5. How exactly does writing a thesis work? And how would I find a suitable topic to write one on? Or hot topics for research in general?
  6. Given my background, is there an heavy obligation to draw from it at the university, in my studies or otherwise?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you only been admitted, or is there a significant financial aid package (fellowship, research assistantship, teaching assistandship)?

I wouldn't take too much confidence in merely being admitted, if you are going to have to pay six figures to attend. They admitted you, because they want your money.

Dr. Courtney said:
Have you only been admitted, or is there a significant financial aid package (fellowship, research assistantship, teaching assistandship)?

I wouldn't take too much confidence in merely being admitted, if you are going to have to pay six figures to attend. They admitted you, because they want your money.

No. $1500 tuition waiver per semester for 3 semesters currently. Anything I should note?

random_soldier said:
No. $1500 tuition waiver per semester for 3 semesters currently. Anything I should note?

That's not much love in light of the in-state tuition of $12,470 per year and total expenses estimated at $30k per year.

I encourage students to think of financial aid in that ballpark more as a discount coupon than as real aid. They want your money, not your mind.

Dr. Courtney said:
That's not much love in light of the in-state tuition of $12,470 per year and total expenses estimated at $30k per year.

I encourage students to think of financial aid in that ballpark more as a discount coupon than as real aid. They want your money, not your mind.

I get that. I am an international student, just so you know.

What I was asking was is there some other serious problem it leads to?

I really wish I could pass on the offer but circumstances are not in my favour. Besides, couldn't I attempt for a scholarship or assistantship midway?

random_soldier said:
I get that. I am an international student, just so you know.

What I was asking was is there some other serious problem it leads to?

I really wish I could pass on the offer but circumstances are not in my favour. Besides, couldn't I attempt for a scholarship or assistantship midway?

Wow! So you likely have out of state tuition also. That's going to be expensive.

Scholarships midway are unlikely (at least of the magnitude to make a significant dent in overall costs.)

Assistantships depend on the relative supply and demand of research and teaching labor needs. I would not be optimistic unless you investigate it thoroughly and determine that you are well qualified for those and they are likely. But if that were the case, one wonders why that offer is not already on the table.

Safer to assume they only want your money until they put the money on the table to prove they want your mind.

Dr. Courtney said:
Wow! So you likely have out of state tuition also. That's going to be expensive.

Scholarships midway are unlikely (at least of the magnitude to make a significant dent in overall costs.)

Assistantships depend on the relative supply and demand of research and teaching labor needs. I would not be optimistic unless you investigate it thoroughly and determine that you are well qualified for those and they are likely. But if that were the case, one wonders why that offer is not already on the table.

Safer to assume they only want your money until they put the money on the table to prove they want your mind.

I myself did not ask for assistantships. It's true my record isn't great so I just didn't ask for it in my application.

Regardless, some help is better than no help, so I'll probably be on the lookout if opportunities arise for better aid.

However, I still would like to know, perhaps they are after my money but does this also lead to other problems? As in do I not get a certain service everybody else does or do they not perform some duty they are supposed to generally?

random_soldier said:
However, I still would like to know, perhaps they are after my money but does this also lead to other problems? As in do I not get a certain service everybody else does or do they not perform some duty they are supposed to generally?

It can. Since you are paying them, they do not have the same level of motivation for you to complete your degree as quickly as if they were paying you. One or two more semesters means more money for them. As a result, faculty may not be as eager to help you complete all your course and research requirements in a timely manner compared with how eager they would be if your tuition and stipend were coming out of a faculty member's research grant. Faculty tend to be more invested in the success and graduation of students they are paying.

Dr. Courtney said:
It can. Since you are paying them, they do not have the same level of motivation for you to complete your degree as quickly as if they were paying you. One or two more semesters means more money for them. As a result, faculty may not be as eager to help you complete all your course and research requirements in a timely manner compared with how eager they would be if your tuition and stipend were coming out of a faculty member's research grant. Faculty tend to be more invested in the success and graduation of students they are paying.

Any particular example? Do they purposely try to sabotage me or find stupid, petty reasons to hold me back from something or another? And which part of the faculty may be responsible for any such deeds? Teaching, administratve, others?

random_soldier said:
Any particular example? Do they purposely try to sabotage me or find stupid, petty reasons to hold me back from something or another? And which part of the faculty may be responsible for any such deeds? Teaching, administratve, others?

Nothing as bad as purposeful sabotage - more of being less willing to go out of their way to help you. More likely to cancel a course you might need due to low enrollment or less likely to get something you need approved in a timely manner.

Being an RA or TA you have a built in advocate - the faculty member you are working for.

I have never seen a professor make that kind of calculus. I can't even imagine it - it's not like faculty are paid on commission.

Likes Student100
Vanadium 50 said:
I have never seen a professor make that kind of calculus. I can't even imagine it - it's not like faculty are paid on commission.

No, not that kind of calculus. But I've seen professors decline to help students that were not "their" students dozens of times. Who can say what the intent was. But "no" means "no" regardless of intent.

Dr. Courtney said:
Nothing as bad as purposeful sabotage - more of being less willing to go out of their way to help you. More likely to cancel a course you might need due to low enrollment or less likely to get something you need approved in a timely manner.

Being an RA or TA you have a built in advocate - the faculty member you are working for.

To be honest, I'm trying to get my foot in the door at this point. If it is nothing nearly as bad as open, rampant corruption, I can't really concern myself with it. I'll just have to find ways to mitigate all this, be on top of things from the get-go and you did say it was not impossible even if difficult to obtain assistantships during the course.

Dr. Courtney said:
No, not that kind of calculus. But I've seen professors decline to help students that were not "their" students dozens of times. Who can say what the intent was. But "no" means "no" regardless of intent.

Do you remember any examples or any times where it was particularly obvious and/or bad?

random_soldier said:
To be honest, I'm trying to get my foot in the door at this point. If it is nothing nearly as bad as open, rampant corruption, I can't really concern myself with it.
If that is the case, you need to step back and look at the bigger picture. Are you prepared for their program? And as Dr. Courtney has stated, they ain't showing you a lot of love. You may be much better served by going to a school of your choice, chasing after a degree of your choosing, and initially paying your first semester (with savings and loans as required).
Chances are you may choose a school with lower tuition with a program that is more in line with your background or desire. Most mid-tier schools will welcome you aboard if you have a halfway decent GPA and an acceptable GRE. Most Grad students can receive some assistance once on board, certainly an amount comparable to $1500.

CalcNerd said:
If that is the case, you need to step back and look at the bigger picture. Are you prepared for their program? And as Dr. Courtney has stated, they ain't showing you a lot of love. You may be much better served by going to a school of your choice, chasing after a degree of your choosing, and initially paying your first semester (with savings and loans as required).

Any particulars you have in mind when you think about preparation for the program?

Also, I don't understand what you mean by school or degree of my choosing. I would not have applied to this school in this program if it was not my choice.

CalcNerd said:
Chances are you may choose a school with lower tuition with a program that is more in line with your background or desire. Most mid-tier schools will welcome you aboard if you have a halfway decent GPA and an acceptable GRE. Most Grad students can receive some assistance once on board, certainly an amount comparable to $1500.

Wait, how is that any different from me joining this school and proving my worth for assistantships or the like?

Anyway, I'll let you know more. I still have a few responses I am waiting for.

Bumping because I believe I could benefit from the advice.

Vanadium 50 said:

I agree, you're paying the university not the professors.

I also don't see the conundrum, most Engineers in the US pay out pocket for a masters, less any finacial aid, at least all the ones I've met. If you want to find out ways to help pay for the program, email the admissions officer who you've been in contact with or better the schools finacial aid department/engineering department. You're an international student, so many avenues of aid are closed to you.

If you want to study there, study there. Your biggest concern should be with your lack of preparatory work. If I were you I'd look at the undergraduate courses in a comparable bachelors program in the US and see where you stand. Then self study those topics between now and when you start.

Student100 said:
If you want to study there, study there. Your biggest concern should be with your lack of preparatory work. If I were you I'd look at the undergraduate courses in a comparable bachelors program in the US and see where you stand. Then self study those topics between now and when you start.

Their course list is available on their website and the respective syllabus can be easily found. Can I use those to guide myself where necessary?

random_soldier said:
Their course list is available on their website and the respective syllabus can be easily found. Can I use those to guide myself where necessary?

Yes.

Related to Got an MS admission offer -- Have some questions

What does getting an MS admission offer mean?

Getting an MS admission offer means that a university or college has accepted your application and offered you a spot in their Master of Science program.

What should I do after receiving an MS admission offer?

After receiving an MS admission offer, you should carefully review the offer letter and any accompanying materials. You should also consider your financial situation and research the program and university to ensure it is the right fit for you.

Can I negotiate the terms of the MS admission offer?

It is possible to negotiate the terms of an MS admission offer, such as scholarship or financial aid packages. However, it is important to do so professionally and with a solid reason for requesting changes.

Is there a deadline to accept or decline the MS admission offer?

Yes, there is usually a deadline to accept or decline an MS admission offer. This deadline is typically stated in the offer letter and varies from university to university. It is important to adhere to this deadline to secure your spot in the program.

What if I have questions or concerns about the MS admission offer?

If you have questions or concerns about the MS admission offer, you should reach out to the university's admissions office or the designated contact person listed on the offer letter. They will be able to provide you with more information and address any concerns you may have.