Good things to include in a physics PhD application

In summary, the speaker is currently finishing their MSci in Astrophysics and planning to apply for PhDs in cosmology for autumn 2019. They are seeking advice from successful PhD applicants on what to include in their application, specifically internships and work experience. The advice given is to focus on relevant experiences and find a way to make other experiences relevant to the field.
BR1995
I'm soon going to be finishing my MSci in Astrophysics and am looking to apply for PhDs (in cosmology) for autumn 2019 entry. I'm on track to getting a first but I don't have much other good stuff to include on my application at the moment. If any successful PhD applicants could tell me some of the things that they included on their's (internships, work etc.) I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
That depends on what you did.
Whatever is relevant for the field is probably useful. Everything else is probably not that useful, but sometimes you can find a way to make it relevant as well.

Related to Good things to include in a physics PhD application

What are some key components to include in a physics PhD application?

In a physics PhD application, it is important to include your academic background, research experience, strong letters of recommendation, GRE scores, and a well-written personal statement.

How can I stand out in a physics PhD application?

To stand out in a physics PhD application, you should highlight any unique research experiences, publications, or awards you have received. Additionally, showcasing your passion for physics and your potential for future research can make you stand out.

Is it necessary to have a high GPA to be accepted into a physics PhD program?

While a high GPA is certainly beneficial, it is not the only factor considered in a physics PhD application. Admissions committees also take into account research experience, letters of recommendation, and GRE scores. However, a strong GPA can certainly strengthen your application.

What makes a strong personal statement for a physics PhD application?

A strong personal statement for a physics PhD application should showcase your passion for physics and your research interests. It should also highlight any relevant experiences, skills, and accomplishments that make you a strong candidate for the program.

How important are letters of recommendation in a physics PhD application?

Letters of recommendation are an essential part of a physics PhD application. They provide insights into your academic abilities, research potential, and personal qualities from people who have worked closely with you. It is important to choose recommenders who can speak positively and specifically about your qualifications for a PhD program.