Good reading material for quantum physics?

In summary, learning abstract linear algebra is crucial in understanding quantum physics and the textbook Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by David J. Griffiths is a popular choice for physics majors. However, it still requires a solid understanding of linear algebra, multivariable calculus, Fourier analysis, partial differential equations, and probability and statistics. For beginners, books like The Structure and Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics and Quick Calculus are recommended before delving into QM Demystified.
DLHill
I am fairly new to quantum physics, I don't know much more than the double slit experiment and schrodinger's cat paradox. Can anyone tell me what would be a good subject to read about to be able to "understand" quantum physics? Superposition? Entanglement? Also, if anyone has any good suggestions for books, that would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think a knowledge of your mathematical and physics background would help in determining what kind of book to suggest.

The textbook Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by David J. Griffiths is extremely popular with physics majors. It's certainly not perfect, but it's my favorite introductory book.

Even an "introductory" QM book still requires linear algebra, multivariable calculus, some Fourier analysis, some partial differential equations, and a tiny bit of probability & statistics. This book does a decent job reviewing that stuff.

My most useful advice to anyone trying to understand QM is: learn abstract linear algebra! In particular, know what an inner product is and why anyone would care about the eigenvalues of a self-adjoint matrix.

Practically all of the axioms of QM are written in the language of Hilbert spaces and linear operators. If you have a solid intuition about those things, then QM is very confusing. If you don't, then QM is hopelessly confusing; it basically looks like mystical numerology.

Matterwave said:
I think a knowledge of your mathematical and physics background would help in determining what kind of book to suggest.

I have only taken up to alg 2 and trig. I am still in high school

NegativeDept said:
The textbook Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by David J. Griffiths is extremely popular with physics majors. It's certainly not perfect, but it's my favorite introductory book.

Even an "introductory" QM book still requires linear algebra, multivariable calculus, some Fourier analysis, some partial differential equations, and a tiny bit of probability & statistics. This book does a decent job reviewing that stuff.

My most useful advice to anyone trying to understand QM is: learn abstract linear algebra! In particular, know what an inner product is and why anyone would care about the eigenvalues of a self-adjoint matrix.

Practically all of the axioms of QM are written in the language of Hilbert spaces and linear operators. If you have a solid intuition about those things, then QM is very confusing. If you don't, then QM is hopelessly confusing; it basically looks like mystical numerology.

Well, i guess it looks like i am going to be reading some math books!

DLHill said:
I have only taken up to alg 2 and trig. I am still in high school

In that case I recommend Hughs - The structure And Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0674843924/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It explains the Linear Algebra and all the math you need as it goes along. You simply need a smattering of Calculus for which I recommend Quick Calculus:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471827223/?tag=pfamazon01-20

After that you are set to go for a regular QM textbook. At your level I would recommend QM Demystified:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071455469/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Once you have done that you will be prepared for pretty much any QM book.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
DLHill said:
Well, i guess it looks like i am going to be reading some math books!

For the record: you don't have to be a linear algebra expert, you just have to be able to answer questions like "What is a complex vector space?" and "What is an orthonormal basis?" and "How do I know if a matrix is unitary?" A good introductory QM book will try to explain these things and give simple examples.

bhobba said:
In that case I recommend Hughs - The structure And Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0674843924/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It explains the Linear Algebra and all the math you need as it goes along. You simply need a smattering of Calculus for which I recommend Quick Calculus:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471827223/?tag=pfamazon01-20

After that you are set to go for a regular QM textbook. At your level I would recommend QM Demystified:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071455469/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Once you have done that you will be prepared for pretty much any QM book.

Thanks
Bill

Thank you so much! I will take a look at these books right away!

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Good reading material for quantum physics?

1. What are some recommended books for beginners in quantum physics?

Some popular books for beginners in quantum physics are "Quantum Physics for Dummies" by Steven Holzner, "In Search of Schrödinger's Cat" by John Gribbin, and "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths.

2. Are there any online resources for learning about quantum physics?

Yes, there are many online resources for learning about quantum physics. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and The Feynman Lectures on Physics.

3. What are some advanced books on quantum physics for those with a background in physics?

For those with a background in physics, some recommended advanced books on quantum physics are "Quantum Mechanics" by Albert Messiah, "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell, and "Quantum Physics: A Beginner's Guide" by Alastair I. M. Rae.

4. Is it important to read about the history and philosophy of quantum physics?

While it is not necessary to read about the history and philosophy of quantum physics to understand the subject, it can provide valuable context and insight into the development of the field. Some popular books on this topic include "The Strangest Man" by Graham Farmelo and "Quantum Generations" by Helge Kragh.

5. What are some books that explore the applications of quantum physics in everyday life?

Some books that explore the applications of quantum physics in everyday life are "The Quantum World: Quantum Physics for Everyone" by Kenneth W. Ford, "Quantum Enigma: Physics Encounters Consciousness" by Bruce Rosenblum and Fred Kuttner, and "The Fabric of Reality" by David Deutsch.