Good precalculus and calculus book for a beginner for physic

In summary, a good precalculus and calculus book for a beginner in physics should cover the fundamentals of algebra, trigonometry, and calculus in a clear and concise manner. It should also include relevant examples and practice problems to aid in understanding and application. A well-structured and comprehensive book can serve as a strong foundation for further studies in physics and related fields.
Stiernspetz
Hi

I'm 16 years old, the physics and maths in school is really easy and it quickly becomes boring. So I wish to study outside of school, can you please recommend me some good books on calculus?

I am a beginner in the subject and only know the big picture of what calculus actually is, so nothing too advanced please, but still challenging.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Michael Spivak's Calculus is quiet challenging, his The Hitchhiker's guide to Calculus should be easy enough as a first introduction (it is better to regard it as a companion). Personally, I used Stewart's Calculus as a first exposure. Also have a look at these lectures from MIT OpenCourseware:
As well as Khan|Academy videos on Calc. (differential calculus then integral calculus)

Have fun!

Last edited:
Anama Skout said:
Michael Spivak's Calculus is quiet challenging. You could also try Apostol's Calculus vol.I.

OP: definitely do NOT do these if you're new to calculus.

micromass said:
OP: definitely do NOT do these if you're new to calculus.
Hahahaha, ok then :)

Anama Skout said:
Michael Spivak's Calculus is quiet challenging, his The Hitchhiker's guide to Calculus should be easy enough as a first introduction (it is better to regard it as a companion). Personally, I used Stewart's Calculus as a first exposure. Also have a look at these lectures from MIT OpenCourseware:
As well as Khan|Academy videos on Calc. (differential calculus then integral calculus)

Have fun!
Thank you. I will look into this.

micromass said:
I'd not recommend a non-standard analysis textbook for a beginner, particularly if he is interested in physics more than in pure math. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend a calculus textbook, because all my favorites are in German.

The good thing about Keisler is that it teaches both standard as nonstandard calculus, so you get the best of both worlds.
And I think that infinitesimals show up more in physics than pure math.

That's true. The only problem with nonstandard analysis is that no physics book uses its language, and it can be difficult, particularly for a beginner, if different books use different concepts. I don't say this book is bad, because I don't know it, but I just warn against possible problems when using a nonstandard-analysis textbook as a beginner. It's of course always good, to also look at all kinds of concepts for the same subject, but for this you should first have some basic knowledge about this subject, and that's most easily achieved by using standard material. As I said, I don't know introductory calculus textbooks. For physics, I'd recommend one of the excellent introductory-physics textbooks at the entry level of universities. I've just seen the newest (German) edition by Tipler, which is excellent. I also like Haliday&Resnick for that purpose. I only warn against the socalled "calculus-free" approach. This simply doesn't make sense. It's even more difficult to learn about physics. So it's a good approach to learn vector algebra and calculus in parallel with classical non-relativistic mechanics, which still is the backbone of all physics education. A bit later, as a first approach to the more theoretical side, I'd think that the Feynman lectures are still a very good (but tough) choice, because of Feynman's emphasis of physics intuition with a pragmatic use of math.

vanhees71 said:
That's true. The only problem with nonstandard analysis is that no physics book uses its language, and it can be difficult, particularly for a beginner, if different books use different concepts. I don't say this book is bad, because I don't know it, but I just warn against possible problems when using a nonstandard-analysis textbook as a beginner. It's of course always good, to also look at all kinds of concepts for the same subject, but for this you should first have some basic knowledge about this subject, and that's most easily achieved by using standard material. As I said, I don't know introductory calculus textbooks. For physics, I'd recommend one of the excellent introductory-physics textbooks at the entry level of universities. I've just seen the newest (German) edition by Tipler, which is excellent. I also like Haliday&Resnick for that purpose. I only warn against the socalled "calculus-free" approach. This simply doesn't make sense. It's even more difficult to learn about physics. So it's a good approach to learn vector algebra and calculus in parallel with classical non-relativistic mechanics, which still is the backbone of all physics education. A bit later, as a first approach to the more theoretical side, I'd think that the Feynman lectures are still a very good (but tough) choice, because of Feynman's emphasis of physics intuition with a pragmatic use of math.
Thank you for these great tips, I have actually ordered the Feynman Lectures, and I'm also studying vector algebra and standard mechanics in school and at home.

Great! And this forum is great to discuss problems!

vanhees71 said:
Great! And this forum is great to discuss problems!
I know, one of the primary reasons for signing up. I will post them on this forum if I ever need any help.

Stiernspetz said:
Hi

I'm 16 years old, the physics and maths in school is really easy and it quickly becomes boring. So I wish to study outside of school, can you please recommend me some good books on calculus?

I am a beginner in the subject and only know the big picture of what calculus actually is, so nothing too advanced please, but still challenging.

Thanks in advance.

I buy calculus books at the lowest prices on the internet regularly. Not one site has the lowest of all. It's all over the place at all of the book sites. It really varies on the title of the book. There is a great tool that you require to use is a book comparison site. You enter the title of the book and author and it will search at all of the book sites such as: Amazon, Barnesandnoble, AbeBooks, Zapper, Powells, etc.

"Calculus made easy" by silvanus p Thompson. Fantastic short book that has been in print for over 100 years. i learned from it myself and still have my copy.

Related to Good precalculus and calculus book for a beginner for physic

1. What is a good precalculus and calculus book for a beginner in physics?

There are several good options for precalculus and calculus books for beginners in physics. Some popular choices include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Precalculus: Mathematics for Calculus" by James Stewart and Lothar Redlin, and "Calculus for Scientists and Engineers" by William Briggs and Lyle Cochran. It is also helpful to look for books that specifically focus on applications of calculus in physics.

2. What should I look for in a precalculus and calculus book for learning physics?

When searching for a precalculus and calculus book for learning physics, it is important to look for a book that explains concepts clearly and provides plenty of examples and practice problems. Additionally, look for a book that covers relevant topics in physics, such as kinematics, dynamics, and electricity and magnetism.

3. Do I need to have a strong math background to understand precalculus and calculus for physics?

While having a strong math background can be helpful, it is not necessarily required to understand precalculus and calculus for physics. Many books include review sections or appendices that cover necessary math concepts. It is important to have a basic understanding of algebra and trigonometry before delving into calculus.

4. Can a precalculus and calculus book for physics be used for self-study?

Yes, many precalculus and calculus books for physics are designed for self-study. Look for books that include answer keys or solutions to practice problems so that you can check your work and track your progress. It may also be helpful to find a book that includes online resources, such as video tutorials or interactive practice problems.

5. Are there any online resources that can supplement a precalculus and calculus book for physics?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement a precalculus and calculus book for physics. Some popular options include Khan Academy, which offers free video tutorials and practice problems, and OpenStax, which provides free textbooks for various subjects, including precalculus and calculus. Additionally, many universities and educational institutions offer online courses or lecture videos on precalculus and calculus for physics.