Good physics books for someone who is not a complete beginner.

In summary, if you are a college student, you can take physics courses. However, if you are interested in pursuing higher education in astronomy or astrophysics, you may want to study more difficult material first.
Alok Shah
I am already familiar with High school math and physics. I have also studied Calculus(vector included), Differential Equations and basic electrodynamics in freshman year in college and I want to take it a step further. Which books should I study to strengthen my physics background if I want to pursue higher education in the field ? Currently, I am studying aerospace engineering.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if you are a college student, surely you can take physics courses?

Also, when you say you want to pursue higher education, do you mean in aerospace engineering or physics?

Yes, I can take physics courses and I do plan to take a few in the upcoming semesters. Although, there can be time-table constraints with some of my core courses and also, there are prerequisites to most of the courses. I have two months before the next semester starts. So, I 'd like to get myself familiar with the next level topics beforehand.

I want to go for higher education in astronomy and astrophysics.

For your background, I would recommend the following first:

Classical Mechanics by Taylor
Classical Electrodynamics by Griffiths

These should be relatively easy for you given your stated math profile, but you'll learn a lot with relatively little suffering. Once you are done with those (or at least with the "required" chapters in each) you can move up to more difficult material, such as:

Classical Mechanics by Goldstein AND/OR Landau (yes, CM again)
Modern Electrodynamics by Zwangwill OR Classical Electrodynamics by Schwinger (yes, ED again)
Principles of Quantum Mechanics by R. Shankar
Statistical Mechanics in a Nutshell by Peliti

These books above cover a pretty good basic core for graduate physics. There are many more specialized or advanced topics that may interest you. If you're thinking of astronomy/astrophysics, then a pretty handy book to have is:

An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics by Carroll & Ostlie (I used this one extensively for my Master's)

Also, you can use the following as mathematical supplements:

Basic Training in Mathematics by R. Shankar (great for "understanding", i.e., knowing what you're doing mathematically, though very informal)
Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences by M. Boas (great for "doing", i.e., practicing until you can do things automatically)
Physical Mathematics by Kevin Cahill (graduate level, for use only after you percieve the previous two as "too basic" or "not rigorous enough")

The following are short, succint, modern (and sometimes quite advanced) books by Cambridge Press that cover many of these topics:

A Student's Guide to Vectors and Tensors
A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations
A Student's Guide to Lagrangians and Hamiltonians
A Student's Guide to Entropy

There may be more books in this series that I'm not aware of.

Obviously, if you're on a budget, you'll have to prioritize, find used books, search the library, etc.

Related to Good physics books for someone who is not a complete beginner.

1. What makes a physics book suitable for someone who is not a complete beginner?

A good physics book for someone who is not a complete beginner should strike a balance between being easy enough to understand for a non-expert, while also providing enough depth and complexity for more knowledgeable readers. It should also have a clear and engaging writing style, and use relevant and relatable examples to help explain difficult concepts.

2. Are there any specific topics or areas of physics that are best for non-beginners?

This can vary depending on the individual's interests and prior knowledge, but some common areas that are suitable for non-beginners include classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics. It's also important to choose a book that aligns with the reader's specific interests within these broader topics.

3. How can I determine the level of difficulty of a physics book before reading it?

One way to determine the level of difficulty is to look at the intended audience mentioned in the book's description or reviews. Another way is to flip through the book and see if the concepts are explained in a way that is easy to follow and understand. Additionally, checking the author's background and credentials can give an indication of the book's intended audience.

4. Are there any recommended authors or publishers for physics books for non-beginners?

Some popular authors for physics books for non-beginners include Brian Greene, Michio Kaku, and Stephen Hawking. As for publishers, some well-respected ones in the field of physics are Oxford University Press, Cambridge University Press, and Princeton University Press.

5. Can I find good physics books for non-beginners online or should I visit a physical bookstore?

You can find good physics books for non-beginners both online and in physical bookstores. Online retailers such as Amazon and Barnes and Noble have a wide selection of physics books, and you can also find reviews and ratings from other readers to help you make a decision. However, visiting a physical bookstore can also be beneficial as you can browse and flip through the books before making a purchase.