Good books for 13 year old to self teach physics?

In summary, there are several great books for 13-year-olds to self-teach physics. Some recommended titles include "Physics for Every Kid" by Janice VanCleave, "The Cartoon Guide to Physics" by Larry Gonick, and "The Manga Guide to Physics" by Hideo Nitta. These books offer engaging and accessible explanations of key concepts in physics, making it easy for young readers to understand and apply them. Additionally, websites like Khan Academy and Crash Course also offer free online resources for self-teaching physics. With these resources, 13-year-olds can dive into the world of physics and learn at their own pace.
PhysxRox
Hi, I am only 13, but am really interested in physics. My highest level of math knowledge is pre-algebra, but I'll be in algebra 1 once school starts. I am a fast learner and know I can learn the physics criteria if it is explained thoroughly. Please don't let my math knowledge make you think I can't handle it, as long as the author explains it good I will be fine. I would like to be an experimental/theoretical physicist. I have a khan academy account and learn physics of on it, but I want MORE knowledge and want to have a high knowledge of physics before high school classes and college. If you know of any books that you would recommend for me please post the title and author(or link)thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysxRox said:
Hi, I am only 13, but am really interested in physics. My highest level of math knowledge is pre-algebra, but I'll be in algebra 1 once school starts. I am a fast learner and know I can learn the physics criteria if it is explained thoroughly. Please don't let my math knowledge make you think I can't handle it, as long as the author explains it good I will be fine. I would like to be an experimental/theoretical physicist. I have a khan academy account and learn physics of on it, but I want MORE knowledge and want to have a high knowledge of physics before high school classes and college. If you know of any books that you would recommend for me please post the title and author(or link)thank you.

You should definitely take geometry, algebra1, algebra2, and trigonometry first. Perhaps from https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0470416742/?tag=pfamazon01-20 and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0760706603/?tag=pfamazon01-20 . There are countless other books that will teach you these subjects.

Once you have finished the above two books, start with https://www.amazon.com/dp/0992001005/?tag=pfamazon01-20. Although this book actually explains all math required, I would still spend some time on geometry, algebra1, algebra2, and trigonometry first.

Once you finished that, come back and I will recommend you more.

Trust me, there is no shortcut. You have to learn the required math first if you want to learn physics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes symbolipoint and NathanaelNolk
smodak said:

Trust me, there is no shortcut. You have to learn the required math first if you want to learn physics.

And don't be tricked. There are socalled "calculus-free physics books", but that's fake. It's way more complicated to learn physics without calculus than to learn calculus first and then physics. You don't need to learn all of the math but you can also learn it in parallel to the physics. A good approach is to start with (calculus based) general experimental-physics textbooks for freshmen like Haliday, Resnick, Walker or Tipler and see what math you really need at any step.

Likes smodak

Related to Good books for 13 year old to self teach physics?

1. What are some good books for a 13 year old to self teach physics?

Some good books for a 13 year old to self teach physics include "The Cartoon Guide to Physics" by Larry Gonick, "Physics: Why Matter Matters!" by Dan Green, and "The Manga Guide to Physics" by Hideo Nitta.

2. Are there any books specifically geared towards young adults for learning physics?

Yes, there are several books specifically written for young adults to learn physics, such as "The Physics Book: From the Big Bang to Quantum Resurrection, 250 Milestones in the History of Physics" by Clifford A. Pickover and "Physics for Future Presidents: The Science Behind the Headlines" by Richard A. Muller.

3. Are there any interactive or hands-on books for learning physics?

Yes, there are books that incorporate interactive elements and hands-on activities for learning physics, such as "The Physics Book: From the Big Bang to Quantum Resurrection, 250 Milestones in the History of Physics" by Clifford A. Pickover and "Science in Seconds for Kids: Over 100 Experiments You Can Do in Ten Minutes or Less" by Jean Potter.

4. Are there any online resources that can supplement these books for self teaching physics?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement these books for self teaching physics, such as Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and Physics Central. These websites offer videos, interactive simulations, and practice problems to help reinforce concepts learned from books.

5. Can these books be used as a primary resource for learning physics, or should they be used in addition to a textbook?

These books can be used as a primary resource for learning physics, especially for self-teaching. However, it is always beneficial to have a textbook as well to provide a more comprehensive understanding of the subject matter and to supplement any gaps in knowledge. It is recommended to use these books in addition to a textbook for a well-rounded learning experience.