Gonna be away from physics for 1 year

In summary, the speaker is concerned about losing knowledge of physics during a year-long break before college. They are also wondering if they should self-study AP Calc AB and what book to use. The responder suggests not worrying about the break as knowledge can be regained quickly and that taking AP Calc AB will also help with physics-related problems. They also advise against self-studying Calculus and instead recommend using a self-study book closer to the AP test. The responder also suggests talking to a teacher about preparing for the Calc BC test.
iRaid
Well here is my problem.. I decided I would take AP Physics B (trig/algebra based) in my junior year of high school. My high school doesn't have AP Physics C so I will essentially be without physics for a year (until college). During that time I feel like I'll lose a lot of knowledge. Any suggestions of what to do or has anyone taken an extended break from physics before? Do you get your "knowledge" back after time or what :p?
Also, I will be taking AP calc AB (Calc I) so I was wondering if I should buy a book and self-study, if so what book.

Thanks for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have some sort of dual-enrollment program with your local university or community college?

I took a break from Physics for 7 years after high school, and while you obviously forget things, when you revise them, it comes back to you fairly quickly. So don't sweat it, especially over merely a year.

I think you'll be fine with the year off of Physics - esspecially since you're taking Calculus (which will have a lot of physics-related story problems). Once you get to University, if you're going into any field where Physics is importaint, you'll be taking a Calc-based Physics anyhow. Much of the specifics you learned from the AP-Physics B class will likely be irrelevant as you'll learn new techniques to solve the problems.

As for self-studying Calc I - I wouldn't suggest it (if you're going to take the class). There is a lot of foundational learning that is done with Calculus at all levels and each of the building blocks, in order, are very importaint. Getting ahead of yourself will ruin some of those 'ah ha!' moments that makes math fun ;) Once you get closer to the AP test, look for a self-study book to use as review for the AP test.

Take this for what it's worth, as your mileage may vary (As your school may not fit this mold), but many High School Calculus classes cover nearly enough to prepare students for the Calc BC test (which will be good for a college level Calc II). I only took the AB test out of school, and was deathly bored in my University Calc II as 3/4 of it was review from high school. Talk with your teacher about making work towards the BC test (probably starting after Christmas) if you're really wanting to do something extra Math related.

I understand your concern about taking a break from physics for a year. It is important to continue building upon your knowledge and skills in this subject, especially if you plan on pursuing a career in a scientific field. However, taking a break can also have its benefits, as it allows you to approach the subject with a fresh perspective when you return to it.

One suggestion I have is to stay engaged with physics during your break by reading books, articles, or watching videos related to the subject. This will help you maintain your interest and understanding of the subject. You can also try solving practice problems or participating in online forums or discussions with other physics enthusiasts.

Another option is to self-study using a textbook. I would recommend finding a book that aligns with the AP Physics B curriculum and covers the topics you will be learning in your junior year. Some popular options include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett or "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick. It would also be helpful to check with your future college to see what textbook they use for their introductory physics courses, and use that as a guide for your self-study.

Lastly, don't worry too much about losing your knowledge during this break. With a strong foundation in physics, it is likely that you will be able to pick up where you left off once you return to studying the subject. Just make sure to review and refresh your understanding before starting your college physics courses.

Best of luck in your studies!

Related to Gonna be away from physics for 1 year

1. What are the potential consequences of taking a break from physics for 1 year?

Taking a break from physics for 1 year can have a variety of consequences depending on your specific field of study and career goals. Some potential consequences may include falling behind on current research and developments, missing out on networking opportunities, and losing proficiency in key skills and knowledge.

2. Will taking a break from physics hinder my career advancement?

It is possible that taking a break from physics could hinder your career advancement, especially if you are in a competitive field or seeking a research position. However, it ultimately depends on how you use your time away and how you are able to demonstrate your skills and knowledge upon your return.

3. Is it common for scientists to take breaks from their field?

Yes, it is not uncommon for scientists to take breaks from their field, whether it is for personal reasons or to pursue other interests. Many researchers and academics also take sabbaticals, which can range from a few months to a year or more, to focus on their own projects or collaborations.

4. How can I stay updated on developments in the field while away from physics?

There are various ways to stay updated on developments in the field while you are away from physics. You can subscribe to scientific journals and newsletters, attend conferences and seminars, and stay connected with colleagues and mentors. You can also stay engaged with online communities and discussion forums related to your field.

5. What can I do during my break from physics to make the most of my time?

There are many productive ways to spend your time away from physics. You can use the time to learn new skills or techniques, attend workshops or courses, volunteer or work in a related field, or engage in self-directed research projects. It is also important to take care of your mental and physical well-being during this time.