Going to RIT this Fall: Dual Majoring MicroE & Physics?

• Thread starter Stevedye56
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fall
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of doing a dual major in Micro Electronic Engineering and Physics at RIT. The speaker is concerned about the workload and is seeking advice from others who may have experience with a similar double major. They mention that some courses may be able to be double-counted and clarify that the required physics courses for engineering are University Physics and Modern Physics. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing their gratitude for the help and asking about the acronym "RIT", which stands for Rochester Institute of Technology.
Stevedye56
Hello all!

I am planning on going to RIT this fall into the Micro Electronic Engineering program. I realized after looking through my schedule for classes that there a lot of physics courses that are required. I was wondering if taking on MicroE and Physics as a dual major is too much to handle or if anyone has done a dual major with Physics and a related Engineering program.

Thanks for the help!

Steve

Physics news on Phys.org
Steve, I bet that the only required "physics" courses are University Physics and Modern Physics. This is the required physics for ALL engineers (some don't take modern). If you have some AP credit in the liberal arts and/or don't mind the extra work, then there is still nothing wrong with doing a dual major in physics as well. Just note that you will have to do the remainder of the physics curriculum as well as your engineering curriculum.

I'm sure as long as you talked to your advisor/dept. head, you would be able to double count certain courses. For example, there's no point taking the physics electronics course if you already have several engineering electronics courses. Additionally, an engineering E&M shouldn't mean much when you have physics E&M.

Awesome, thanks for the help.

bit outta topic but what's RIT

Rochester Institute of Technology.

Related to Going to RIT this Fall: Dual Majoring MicroE & Physics?

1. What is the advantage of dual majoring in MicroE and Physics at RIT?

Dual majoring in MicroE and Physics at RIT allows students to gain a strong foundation in both fields, making them well-equipped for a variety of career opportunities. It also allows for a more well-rounded education and the ability to apply knowledge from both disciplines in research and real-world applications.

2. How challenging is it to dual major in MicroE and Physics at RIT?

Dual majoring in MicroE and Physics at RIT is a rigorous and challenging program, as it requires students to balance coursework from two different fields. However, with proper time management and dedication, it is a highly rewarding and feasible option for driven students.

3. What research opportunities are available for students dual majoring in MicroE and Physics at RIT?

RIT has a strong emphasis on hands-on learning and offers numerous research opportunities for students, including those dual majoring in MicroE and Physics. Students can work with faculty on cutting-edge research projects in areas such as nanotechnology, biophysics, and materials science.

4. Can students pursue internships while dual majoring in MicroE and Physics at RIT?

Yes, students dual majoring in MicroE and Physics at RIT have the opportunity to pursue internships and co-op experiences in both fields. These experiences not only provide valuable practical skills, but also allow students to network and gain industry experience.

5. What career paths are available to graduates of the MicroE and Physics dual major program at RIT?

Graduates of the MicroE and Physics dual major program at RIT have a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as microelectronics, nanotechnology, biotechnology, renewable energy, and more. They are also well-prepared for graduate studies in either MicroE or Physics, or a related field.