Going outside supervisor's field of expertise

In summary, the individual has started a doctorate in corrosion and has developed an interest in a specific type of corrosion that their supervisor has no interest in. They were initially told that their project would develop depending on findings, but are now unsure if it is wise to pursue this area without their supervisor's support. It is important to have a supervisor who is knowledgeable in the chosen research area, as they serve as a mentor and guide. Going against the supervisor's approval could lead to issues and hinder the progress of the project.
streeters
So I've started a doctorate in corrosion and through the last 2 months of reading and experimenting I've become interested in a type of corrosion (scc) that my supervisor has no interest in (they mainly look at atmospheric corrosion).

I went into the PhD being told that the project would develop depending on findings, so I'd be "allowed" to do it, but I'm not sure it is wise. Has anyone here done this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually at some point in your PhD you *should* get to a point where you are working beyond your supervisor's experience. It is supposed to be novel work after all. But you also want to be able to rely on him or her as a mentor.

What would sticks out as a flag to me is the phrase "no interest in." If your supervisor has an interest in the area, but just happens to be more experienced in a slightly different area, it should be okay to pursue the new area. But if he or she does not want anything to do with that new area, you're likely going to have problems because your supervior won't be reading up on that material and won't be able to identify if what you've done has been done before.

Actually it really doesn't matter if the supervisor has no interest in it. What is important here is whether the supervisor APPROVES that line of research for you to do. That is the part that you never indicated. If you are going rogue on him/her without that person's knowledge and approval, you are risking irking him/her and more importantly, you may not receive an approval for your project. If that happens, you are stuck up a creek without a paddle.

Zz.

Related to Going outside supervisor's field of expertise

1. What does it mean to go outside a supervisor's field of expertise?

Going outside a supervisor's field of expertise refers to conducting research or making decisions that fall outside of the supervisor's area of knowledge or expertise. This can lead to potential issues or errors in the project or findings.

2. How can going outside a supervisor's field of expertise impact a research project?

If a supervisor is not knowledgeable or experienced in a certain aspect of a research project, it can lead to biased or inaccurate results. Additionally, it can also delay the project if the supervisor needs to spend time learning about the new area or finding a new expert.

3. Are there any benefits to going outside a supervisor's field of expertise?

In some cases, going outside a supervisor's field of expertise can bring fresh perspectives and ideas to a project. It also allows for collaboration and the opportunity to learn from experts in different fields.

4. How can a researcher determine if they are going outside their supervisor's field of expertise?

It is important for researchers to have a clear understanding of their supervisor's expertise and to communicate openly about any potential areas that may fall outside of it. Additionally, seeking guidance and input from other experts in the field can help determine if a project is straying too far from the supervisor's expertise.

5. How can researchers avoid going outside their supervisor's field of expertise?

Proper communication and regular check-ins with the supervisor can help ensure that the project stays within their expertise. If a new area of research is necessary, it is important to seek guidance and collaboration from other experts in that field to ensure accurate and unbiased results.