Getting up to speed - self-study/online/or in-person?

• Thread starter ebaywannabe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the conversation is about someone who wants to study physics for their own interest and is considering taking summer courses at UC Berkeley. They are debating between taking multivariable calculus or E&M and are discussing various options such as self-studying or taking online courses. They also mention different books for studying calculus and physics.
ebaywannabe
Getting up to speed -- self-study/online/or in-person?

At Berkeley, 15 years ago, I took mechanics 7a (one semester of Physics for Scientists and Engineers - Giancoli textbook) and second semester calculus (1b). I gave up physics/math at that point.

Now I'm interested in studying physics again, just for my own edification. No intention of going to grad school, but I'd like to have an understanding of physics at the level of someone who's completed an undergraduate degree in physics.

I live near UC Berkeley. For the next few years, it will be difficult for me to take in-person classes during the school year, but one summer course per year is probably doable. Online classes are probably doable during the year.

I'm trying to decide what to take this summer at Berkeley. I am debating between Math 53 (multivariable calculus) and Physics 7b (E&M). I see several possible ways of doing it:

1. Review single variable calculus and self-study multivariable calculus over the Winter/Spring in preparation for 7b in the summer
2. Review single variable calculus in the winter, take an online course in multivariable calculus in the spring (at netmath.uiuc.edu, unless someone knows someplace better) and take 7b in the summer
3. Review single variable calculus in the Winter/Spring and take Math 53 over the summer

I'm probably stronger in physics than math (I got an "A" in 7a long ago, but switched math 1b to p/np because I wasn't getting an A (probably would have gotten a B in the course).

In the end, I am not training to be a physicist, or to teach physics, I just want to understand it.

Physics news on Phys.org
you can definitely study the calc sequence on your own.

ice109 said:
you can definitely study the calc sequence on your own.

I agree with this. Get a book like Stewart that seems to be great for physicists/engineers and you would do fine. Also, in light of another active thread, it may be a good idea to take classes with lab components (such as the fundamental physics classes) during the summer, if that is the only time you can attend a class. Online courses may be fine for theory classes, however.

stewart is balls. calculus by spivak and then calculus by apostol

ice109 said:
stewart is balls. calculus by spivak and then calculus by apostol

Spivak and Apostol are certainly great books. But, for someone that is going back to school after 15 years that had problems with calculus before, they may be a bit much. I also do not see the problem with Stewart for someone who wants to do undergraduate physics.

bravernix said:
Spivak and Apostol are certainly great books. But, for someone that is going back to school after 15 years that had problems with calculus before, they may be a bit much. I also do not see the problem with Stewart for someone who wants to do undergraduate physics.

Spivak is actually not a bad book to self study from, in my opinion.

Related to Getting up to speed - self-study/online/or in-person?

1. What are the benefits of self-study in getting up to speed?

Self-study allows for flexibility and personalized learning, as you can study at your own pace and focus on areas that you need to improve on. It also promotes self-motivation and critical thinking skills.

2. How can online learning help in getting up to speed?

Online learning provides access to a wide range of resources and materials, making it easier to gather information and learn new skills. It also allows for remote learning, which can be beneficial for individuals with busy schedules.

3. What is the difference between self-study and in-person learning?

Self-study involves learning independently, while in-person learning involves attending classes or workshops with an instructor. In-person learning allows for immediate feedback and interaction with others, while self-study promotes self-discipline and self-motivation.

4. How can I stay motivated while self-studying to get up to speed?

Setting realistic goals and creating a schedule can help in staying motivated while self-studying. It is also important to take breaks, reward yourself, and seek support from others if needed.

5. Are there any specific techniques or strategies for effective self-study?

There are various techniques and strategies that can help in effective self-study, such as creating study guides, summarizing key points, practicing self-testing, and using mnemonic devices. It is important to find a method that works best for you and to continuously reflect and adapt your approach as needed.