Getting started as a medical physicist questions

In summary, the conversation includes questions about becoming a clinical medical physicist with an MS in Physics, obtaining clinical experience, and finding resources for information and networking in the field of medical physics.
rishman1
Hi all,

I just discovered this forum in my quest to find answers to some questions I have about getting started in the field of medical physics.

I am going to finish my MS in Physics in about a year. I've become interested in medical physics recently after realizing, over the course of a few yrs, that I want to do something where I can feel like I'm helping society (I used to be interested in cosmology-- which I still really like and respect, and I still feel is important to society.. but hopefully you understand what I mean; I want to feel like I'm contributing more directly).

Anyhow, my questions are:

1) Can I become a clinical medical physicist with an MS in Physics, rather than an MS in Medical Physics? I've done some job searches at monster.com and it seems that about half the jobs ask for an MS in Physics, and the other half ask for an MS in Medical Physics. So based on that, it seems like I should be OK. (?) Is that true?

2) The other thing I noticed is that jobs ask for at least 2 yrs of clinical experience. Where do I get that from?? I read something about residency programs online but apparently you need a PhD to get into those. But all the jobs I found only ask for an MS, so how do I get that residency or other clinical experience?

Thanks a lot for any info!

Physics news on Phys.org
rishman1 said:
Hi all,

Anyhow, my questions are:

1) Can I become a clinical medical physicist with an MS in Physics, rather than an MS in Medical Physics? I've done some job searches at monster.com and it seems that about half the jobs ask for an MS in Physics, and the other half ask for an MS in Medical Physics. So based on that, it seems like I should be OK. (?) Is that true?

2) The other thing I noticed is that jobs ask for at least 2 yrs of clinical experience. Where do I get that from?? I read something about residency programs online but apparently you need a PhD to get into those. But all the jobs I found only ask for an MS, so how do I get that residency or other clinical experience?

Thanks a lot for any info!

hi sir ...,

ok i think to be a medical physicst u need to study physics but not a pure physics

i mean u will need objects as nuclear physics . radiation physics , and similar objects

but also u need agood study in anatomy . physiology ..

so may u need good subjects to help u in the field ..,

hope u get what u want

rishman1 said:

1. It shouldn't really matter which you have... as long as if you've taken medical physics related courses. You mentioned you were interested in cosmology originally. Has you degree been geared towards that? Have you taken courses in things like physiology, biochemistry, NMR, other biophysics related courses?

2. I was searching for residency programs a while ago too. I'm no longer set on going that route but I noticed the same things you have. Not only do many residency programs require a PhD, they also only accept 1 or 2 students a year!

You've probably browsed this page already, but in case you haven't: http://www.aapm.org/main.asp
Of interest are the links "Medical Physicist" and "Education". They have links to accredited programs for both education and residency. If you're in the US, consider the Canadian programs too. If I remember, their residency programs seemed to be a little less strict.

Good luck!

For your information PSG college of technmology as started M.Sc Medical Physics course this year 2007

Also, the medical physics residency program at Ohio State only requires a master's degree or better, not a Ph.D.

To continue this thread, does anyone know of a website that's dedicated to the field of medical physics? I'm aware of the AAPM site, but I'm looking to join a group and/or forum that would expose me to professionals in this field. It's never too late to start rubbing elbows!

The Health Physics Society has a Medical Health Physics section.

Anyone knows any good european masters in medical physics?

I need to talk to a biophysicist (via email) for an essay. does anyone konw where i can contact one?

Related to Getting started as a medical physicist questions

1. What education is required to become a medical physicist?

To become a medical physicist, you typically need to have a doctoral degree (PhD) in medical physics or a related field, such as physics or engineering. Some employers may also require a medical physics residency or fellowship program.

2. What skills are important for a career in medical physics?

Strong mathematical and analytical skills are essential for a career in medical physics. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills are important for understanding and explaining complex medical concepts to patients and colleagues.

3. What type of work does a medical physicist do?

Medical physicists use their knowledge of physics and medical imaging to improve and optimize medical procedures, such as radiation therapy, diagnostic imaging, and nuclear medicine. They also play a crucial role in ensuring the safety and accuracy of these procedures.

4. Is certification necessary for a career in medical physics?

While not always required, certification is highly recommended for medical physicists. Certification demonstrates a high level of expertise and knowledge in the field and can lead to better job opportunities and higher salaries.

5. What are the employment opportunities for medical physicists?

Medical physicists can work in various settings, including hospitals, research facilities, and government agencies. They may also work in academia, teaching and conducting research. The demand for medical physicists is expected to grow due to advancements in medical technology and an aging population.