Getting into internet/network security

• Thread starter JonnyG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Security
In summary, the individual is interested in internet/network security, specifically in the area of cryptography/cryptology. They have some programming experience and are a math major at a university with a good selection of computer science courses. They are seeking recommendations for courses to take, and are also interested in career opportunities in this field. They have been advised to eventually take the Security+ certification exam and have been directed to check the NSA website for career information. Some relevant computer science courses that may be beneficial for their interests include CSC448H1 and CSC463H1. They are advised to speak with an advisor for further guidance.
JonnyG
Lately I have been getting interested in internet/network security (an area of study which I am guessing is a subset of computer security). I use to do a little bit of programming a long time ago, but since it has been so long, let's assume that I have no programming experience. I am a math major at a university that seems to have a good selection of computer science courses that I can take. The only thing is, as I don't know much about computers, I don't really know which courses I should take. I do know that I will take some programming courses (they start you off programming in Python). I was hoping you guys could tell me which courses which be best for me to take. Or if isn't too much trouble, take a look at the list of courses and recommend some:

http://www.artsandscience.utoronto.ca/ofr/calendar/crs_csc.htm#CSC108H1

I would appreciate all help. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're going to get into network security, you'll eventually need to know most of what's in the Security+ certification exam. The exam doesn't require any coding skills but it is something that you should eventually take if you want to get into the field. The certification does have a time limit though. It is only good for three years and then you have to be re-certified.

Likes JonnyG
JonnyG said:
Lately I have been getting interested in internet/network security (an area of study which I am guessing is a subset of computer security). I use to do a little bit of programming a long time ago, but since it has been so long, let's assume that I have no programming experience. I am a math major at a university that seems to have a good selection of computer science courses that I can take. The only thing is, as I don't know much about computers, I don't really know which courses I should take. I do know that I will take some programming courses (they start you off programming in Python). I was hoping you guys could tell me which courses which be best for me to take. Or if isn't too much trouble, take a look at the list of courses and recommend some:

http://www.artsandscience.utoronto.ca/ofr/calendar/crs_csc.htm#CSC108H1

I would appreciate all help. Thanks!
Adding to what Borg suggested, I think it's also helpful to know what your goal is. Do you want to implement existing solutions, or develop new solutions? The former does not usually require any university (programming) courses, while the latter might.

Likes JonnyG
I am mostly interested in the encryption side of security...I am looking for an area where I can apply my math skills. Think of the type of mathematician/computer scientist that the NSA would employ.

JonnyG said:
I am mostly interested in the encryption side of security...I am looking for an area where I can apply my math skills. Think of the type of mathematician/computer scientist that the NSA would employ.
Ahh, cryptography/cryptology it is then. :) The NSA does hire BS/BA Math majors for the field in which you're interested. Have you checked their site for any information regarding career paths?

https://www.nsa.gov/careers/career_fields/mathematics.shtml
https://www.nsa.gov/careers/career_fields/compsci.shtml

As far as programming goes, you should meet with an advisor and ask about any CS courses related to cryptography/cryptology. Unless there is someone here with intimate knowledge of the CS program at your institution, we can only give some general advice.

Here's a relevant link to a wiki that might give you some ideas for the discussion with an advisor:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptography#Modern_cryptography

Edit: Taking a quick look through the link you posted, I do not see any courses directly related to Cryptography. However, here are two I found that have some relevance:

CSC448H1 Formal Languages and Automata(24L/12T)
CSC463H1 Computational Complexity and Computability(24L/12P)

Again, you'll want to talk to an advisor to make sure, but the topics covered in the above courses are related to cryptography.

Last edited:
Likes JonnyG

Related to Getting into internet/network security

1. What qualifications do I need to have to get into internet/network security?

To get into internet/network security, you typically need a bachelor's degree in computer science, information technology, or a related field. Some employers may also require a master's degree in a specialized area of security. Additionally, having certifications such as CompTIA Security+ or Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) can also enhance your qualifications.

2. What skills are needed to be successful in internet/network security?

There are several skills that are important for success in internet/network security, including knowledge of various operating systems and programming languages, understanding of network protocols, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, and attention to detail. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important, as you will likely be working with a team to identify and address security threats.

3. What kind of job opportunities are available in internet/network security?

There are a variety of job opportunities in internet/network security, including roles such as network security analyst, information security analyst, security engineer, and security consultant. These positions can be found in industries such as finance, healthcare, government, and technology. You may also have the option to work for a security consulting firm or as a freelance consultant.

4. Do I need to have experience in IT before pursuing a career in internet/network security?

While having experience in IT can certainly be beneficial, it is not always necessary to have prior experience in order to pursue a career in internet/network security. Many entry-level positions in this field offer on-the-job training and opportunities for professional development. However, having a basic understanding of computer systems and networks is important for success in this field.

5. Is a background in mathematics or coding necessary for internet/network security?

While a background in mathematics or coding can certainly be helpful in understanding the technical aspects of internet/network security, it is not necessarily a requirement. Many security professionals come from a variety of backgrounds, including computer science, information technology, and engineering. However, having strong analytical and problem-solving skills is important for success in this field.