Getting all three degrees (B.Sc., Masters and PhD)from same University

In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is acceptable to get all three degrees in Mathematics from the same institution in order to become a Math professor. Personal anecdotes are shared, including the idea that staying at the same university may give the impression of not being able to get into other institutions. However, the general consensus is that it is more important to focus on one's potential for research and obtaining a PhD from the same institution should not be a disadvantage in the hiring process. It is also suggested that broadening one's exposure to different research programs may be beneficial, but ultimately, the decision should be based on personal preference and learning opportunities.
JessicaJ283782
If I honestly really like the University I am currently at, so I was wondering if it is acceptable to get all three degrees in Mathematics from this institution if I want to become a Math professor? Some of the professors in their department got all of their degrees from the same university, but it was outside of the United States. A couple of them went to the university I'm studying at, for their undergrad and masters, but another university for their PhD and came back to the university they went to for undergrad to teach. If I want to teach at the university I'm at, one day should I go somewhere else for my PhD?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Most people go straight to PhD programs (no master's program after undergrad). My professor for inorganic chemistry at UCLA taught at UCLA and also got both his bachelor's and PhD from UCLA.

The impression that some may get is that you did not get in anywhere else and so your Bachelor's granting university did you a favor and let you stay aboard.

Personal anecdotes:

Several students at my undergrad institution who indeed did not get in anywhere else were permitted to stay aboard and do their PhD there.

In my current graduate institution, some of the weakest students were those who had stayed here from undergrad.

In addition to how others may perceive this, it is a good idea to broaden your exposure to research programs during your transition to graduate school.

Check with your department. Some math departments have a general policy of not accepting their own undergraduates into the graduate program. Others seem to be OK with it.

While what Zombie Feynman statement may be true, I've come to the conclusion that by the time you are finished with graduate school the people around you and you yourself will know your caliber while compared to your peers. If you have good potential for research and your adviser and those who know you on a professional level concur with that assessment, then I would really like to find the person who say'll "Man this guy is great, but too bad he got his PhD from his undergraduate university, toss his resume in the trash!"

The only reasonable argument I would make for going to a different university is the simple one. No one professor knows everything nor is do one group of professors work together the same. It is nice to be exposed and meet different people in your field to enhance your academic world view gather insight from a different group of people for a few years.

However, if you're content with your university, then, I personally do not find that a point against you.

I've been on quite a few hiring committee both in industry and in academia and I've never once heard "Wow, this candidate is great... too bad they got their Ph.D. at the same university as their BS though".

People ask the question "how does it look?" here all the time. I think that's the wrong question - I think the right question is "would I learn more by going somewhere else?" and for most people, I believe the answer is yes.

Related to Getting all three degrees (B.Sc., Masters and PhD)from same University

What are the benefits of getting all three degrees (B.Sc., Masters and PhD) from the same university?

There are several benefits to getting all three degrees from the same university. One of the main benefits is continuity in education and research. Since you are already familiar with the faculty, resources, and environment of the university, it can help you to have a smoother transition between degrees. Additionally, completing all three degrees from the same university can demonstrate a strong commitment and dedication to your field of study, which can be attractive to potential employers or academic institutions.

Is it common for students to pursue all three degrees from the same university?

While it is not uncommon for students to pursue all three degrees from the same university, it is not the norm. Many students may choose to pursue their B.Sc. and Masters degrees from one university and then move to a different university for their PhD. However, there are also many benefits to staying at the same university for all three degrees, as mentioned previously.

What are the potential drawbacks of getting all three degrees from the same university?

One potential drawback is that you may miss out on different perspectives and experiences that come with studying at different universities. This can limit your exposure to different research methods, ideas, and networks. Additionally, staying at the same university for all three degrees may not be the best option if your university does not have a strong program or faculty in your specific field of study.

Can I apply for all three degrees at the same time?

No, you cannot apply for all three degrees at the same time. Each degree has its own requirements and application process. Typically, students will apply for their B.Sc. first, followed by their Masters and then their PhD. However, some universities may offer combined programs where you can apply for your Masters and PhD simultaneously.

Will completing all three degrees at the same university give me an advantage in the job market?

Completing all three degrees at the same university can give you an advantage in the job market, but it ultimately depends on the employer and the field. Some employers may value a diverse educational background from different universities, while others may see the continuity and commitment to one university as a positive. It is important to consider the specific job market and industry you are interested in when making this decision.