Getting a PhD after a gap, what to do in meantime?

• Thread starter dydtaylor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gap Phd
In summary, the speaker recently graduated with a dual BS/MS degree and is considering going to grad school for a PhD in the future. They are currently looking at opportunities in modelling or data science while they prepare for their PhD application, but are unsure if they should also consider part-time teaching or other quantitative jobs. The speaker also mentions that paying off loans is a high priority.
dydtaylor
I recently graduated with a dual BS/MS degree that my school offers. I am considering going to grad school for a PhD in the future, and I am considering applying sometime this fall after taking the GRE/PGRE and getting recommendation letters set up. My question is that if I am looking to get a PhD in particle theory/string theory/grand unification what should I be doing in the meantime? I right now am looking at jobs in modelling or data science in the meantime because I have a few good opportunities in them around me, but I'm not sure if I should be looking at other types of jobs while I wait. If I'm going into theory should I be looking to do some part time teaching (which I'm qualified for as I have an MS) or should I be looking for jobs that are similar to engineering, or will any quantitative job do, so long as my application looks strong enough?

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably. Paying off loans would be a high priority.

Related to Getting a PhD after a gap, what to do in meantime?

What is a PhD and why is it important?

A PhD is a doctoral degree, the highest level of education one can obtain in a particular field. It requires original research and a dissertation. A PhD is important because it allows individuals to become experts in their chosen field and opens up opportunities for career advancement and higher salaries.

Why might someone take a gap before pursuing a PhD?

There are a variety of reasons why someone might take a gap before pursuing a PhD. Some may want to gain work experience or save money, while others may need to take care of personal or family obligations. It is also common for individuals to take a gap to figure out their research interests and gain a clearer understanding of their goals.

What can I do during a gap to prepare for a PhD program?

During a gap, there are several things you can do to prepare for a PhD program. You can gain relevant work experience, take courses or workshops to improve your skills, volunteer in your field of interest, and research potential programs and advisors. It is also important to stay connected with your academic network and attend conferences or seminars to stay updated in your field.

Will taking a gap affect my chances of getting into a PhD program?

Taking a gap before pursuing a PhD will not necessarily negatively impact your chances of getting into a program. Admissions committees understand that individuals may need time to gain experience or explore their interests before committing to a PhD. However, it is important to use this time wisely and demonstrate your dedication to your chosen field through your experiences and achievements.

How can I explain my gap in my PhD application?

In your PhD application, you can explain your gap by highlighting the valuable experiences and skills you gained during this time. You can also discuss how the gap has helped you clarify your research interests and academic goals. Be honest and transparent about your reasons for taking a gap and showcase your commitment to pursuing a PhD.