Get Masters in Japan or Switzerland: Experiences?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's plans to obtain a master's degree in physics in a different country, specifically Japan or Switzerland. They mention considering the University of Tokyo in Japan and EPFL Lausanne and University of Geneva in Switzerland. The other speaker mentions studying in the Netherlands, specifically at Utrecht University, which also has an experimental HEP group involved in the ALICE collaboration. They also mention the European universities' involvement with the Large Hadron Collider.
PhysicsGente
Hello, I'll be getting my physics BS soon and I want to obtain my master's in some other country. I have been thinking about going to either Japan or Switzerland. Has anybody studied in any of those countries?
In Japan I'm considering the University of Tokyo. In Switzerland, the EPFL Lausanne and University of Geneva. I'll be going for experimental HEP.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, I am just finishing my first year in the Master's in theoretical physics at Utrecht University in the Netherlands. I know that here they also have an experimental HEP group that is part of the ALICE collaboration. I think lots of European universities are working with the LHC, if that is what you are interested in.

Related to Get Masters in Japan or Switzerland: Experiences?

1. What are the benefits of getting a Masters in Japan or Switzerland?

There are several benefits of pursuing a Masters degree in Japan or Switzerland. These countries are known for their high-quality education systems and top-ranked universities. Graduating from a university in either of these countries can give you a competitive edge in the job market, especially in fields such as technology, engineering, and business. Additionally, studying in these countries can also provide valuable cultural experiences and opportunities for global networking.

2. How do I apply for a Masters program in Japan or Switzerland?

The application process for a Masters program in Japan or Switzerland may vary depending on the specific university. Generally, you will need to submit an online application form, academic transcripts, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and proof of language proficiency (if applicable). Some universities may also require standardized test scores, such as the GRE or GMAT. It is important to carefully review the application requirements and deadlines for each university you are interested in.

3. What is the cost of obtaining a Masters degree in Japan or Switzerland?

The cost of a Masters degree in Japan or Switzerland can vary greatly depending on the university, program, and your nationality. Generally, tuition fees in Japan are lower compared to Switzerland. However, living expenses in Switzerland may be higher. It is important to research and budget for the cost of tuition, housing, transportation, and other expenses before applying to a Masters program in either country.

4. Can I work while studying for my Masters in Japan or Switzerland?

In both Japan and Switzerland, international students are allowed to work part-time while studying. However, there may be restrictions on the number of hours you can work and the types of jobs you can take on. It is important to check the specific regulations for international students in each country before seeking employment. Additionally, it is important to prioritize your studies and make sure that working does not interfere with your academic performance.

5. Are there any scholarships available for international students pursuing a Masters in Japan or Switzerland?

Yes, there are various scholarships available for international students pursuing a Masters degree in Japan or Switzerland. These may be offered by the universities themselves, the government, or private organizations. It is important to research and apply for these scholarships early, as they often have specific eligibility criteria and deadlines. You can also check with your home country's government or organizations for any study abroad scholarships that may be available to you.