Georgia Institute of Technology, graduate school question

In summary: I will definately be looking into the program more when I have the chance. In summary, the aerospace engineering program at GIT is a good one, with average GRE scores and GPAs. However, it is a hard major, and is one of the more expensive options.
NBAJam100
Hey guys, I was curious as to whether or not anyone here knows anything about the admission standards for GIT. I checked out their undergraduate requirements but I am not quite sure how that relates to their grad admissions.

I was looking at their aerospace engineering program and from what I understand, its a pretty decent program. My main question here is does anyone have any general guidelines as to where most of the aerospace or just general engineering students fall in terms of GRE scores/college GPA?

Im about to enter my junior year of classes for mechanical engineering

Physics news on Phys.org
Current GT student here. I'll assume you want to go into the MS program:

It varies from engineering department to engineering department, but the average GRE math will be around 770 and verbal will be around 550. GPA's will be around 3.5.

NBAJam100 said:
Hey guys, I was curious as to whether or not anyone here knows anything about the admission standards for GIT. I checked out their undergraduate requirements but I am not quite sure how that relates to their grad admissions.

I was looking at their aerospace engineering program and from what I understand, its a pretty decent program. My main question here is does anyone have any general guidelines as to where most of the aerospace or just general engineering students fall in terms of GRE scores/college GPA?

Im about to enter my junior year of classes for mechanical engineering

Well, I was accepted for Grad School at GATech in the Civil Engineering department back in 2008. I rejected the offer for another school.

Anyway, I can tell you my stats.

GRE Q760
V 580
AW 4.5

TOEFL iBT 100/120 (international student)

GPA: 3.9/4.0

1 year of work experience

3 solid recommendations letter, 2 academic (thesis advisor + dean of the civil eng department) and 1 from the Director of the DOT of my country.I also visited the campus back in 2008. It looked very nice, and Atlanta as a city didn't look bad to me. I spoke with some faculty members and other grad students, the program looked solid back then. In fact, this school was one of my top choices.

Good luck!

Awesome, thanks a lot for the info firstyeargrad and cyclovenom!

Firstyeargrad- Are you currently in the MS aerospace program? If you wouldn't mind me asking, how do you like it?

I'm not in AE myself (my research is in semiconductors), but I have friends that are. I think the general opinion is that AE is one of the harder majors here, but I personally am not overwhelmed with my coursework as an ECE (well I take that back I am right now since I'm writing a manuscript and studying for finals). One big perk about AE is that they pay their GRA's/GTA's the best of any department save for the biosciences. Last year it was $25k.

Atlanta is a fun town. I've found a lot to do here, and the best part about Atlanta (and the South in general) is that it's dirt cheap compared to up North to live.

Wow! Hearing about that $25k made my mouth water haha! I am also from sort of up north (PA) so the cheap living is another plus! So far I'm thinking that GA is my best bet in terms of location convenience in combo with program quality.

I should be applying to grad schools soon so ill be looking more into the program until then.

Thank for the info First!

Related to Georgia Institute of Technology, graduate school question

What is the application process for graduate school at Georgia Institute of Technology?

The application process for graduate school at Georgia Institute of Technology typically involves submitting an online application, transcripts, letters of recommendation, test scores (such as GRE or GMAT), and a personal statement. Some programs may also require a resume or writing sample.

What are the admissions requirements for graduate school at Georgia Institute of Technology?

The admissions requirements for graduate school at Georgia Institute of Technology vary by program, but generally include a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, a competitive GPA, and strong test scores. Some programs may also require specific coursework or relevant work experience.

What types of financial aid and scholarships are available for graduate students at Georgia Institute of Technology?

Georgia Institute of Technology offers a variety of financial aid options for graduate students, including fellowships, assistantships, and scholarships. The school also participates in the federal student loan program. Additionally, many departments and programs offer their own funding opportunities for graduate students.

What is the average time it takes to complete a graduate degree at Georgia Institute of Technology?

The average time it takes to complete a graduate degree at Georgia Institute of Technology varies by program and can range from 1-2 years for master's degrees to 4-6 years for doctoral degrees. Factors such as full-time versus part-time enrollment and the chosen field of study can also affect the timeline.

What makes Georgia Institute of Technology's graduate programs stand out?

Georgia Institute of Technology is known for its strong emphasis on research and innovation, as well as its renowned faculty and cutting-edge facilities. The school also has a diverse and highly ranked range of graduate programs in areas such as engineering, business, and sciences. Additionally, the school's location in Atlanta provides unique opportunities for networking and career advancement.