Geometry puzzles: Math with Bad Drawings

• B
  • Thread starter Keith_McClary
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, Catriona Shearer's puzzles have been praised for their difficulty, but some users have suggested a hint system to make them more approachable. Others have noted that the solutions may involve algebraic trigonometry, which may be more challenging for some.
Keith_McClary
TL;DR Summary
Geometry puzzles at Math with Bad Drawings
Likes WWGD
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, there are some puzzles. Though I think it would be good to have a hint system with individual drawings (so that each puzzle would become approachable for most people). For a good number of them I have difficulty in identifying how (or where) to start.

Still very good though (if I had to solve one I would try to find an easy one and try to solve that). A hint system would complement it even more.

Yikes. I get the distinct impression that the solutions are not in geometry but in algebraic trigonometry (or trigonometric algebra).

IOW, rather than answers like angle c = root (b+a)2 or somesuch that can be illustrated, it'll be angle c = cos(sin(a)/(cotan(b))) or someothersuch that can't be illustrated.

Related to Geometry puzzles: Math with Bad Drawings

1. What are geometry puzzles?

Geometry puzzles are mathematical problems that involve using geometric concepts and principles to solve them. They often require critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. What is the purpose of geometry puzzles?

The purpose of geometry puzzles is to develop and strengthen mathematical skills, such as spatial reasoning, logical thinking, and pattern recognition. They also encourage creativity and perseverance in problem-solving.

3. Are geometry puzzles only for advanced mathematicians?

No, geometry puzzles can be enjoyed by people of all ages and mathematical abilities. They can be simple or complex, and there are puzzles for beginners as well as for advanced mathematicians.

4. How can geometry puzzles be helpful in real life?

Geometry puzzles can help improve critical thinking skills, which are essential in many areas of life, such as problem-solving in various professions, decision-making, and even daily life situations. They also enhance spatial awareness, which is useful in fields like architecture, engineering, and design.

5. Are there any benefits of solving geometry puzzles?

Yes, there are several benefits of solving geometry puzzles. They can improve mathematical abilities, develop problem-solving skills, enhance spatial reasoning, and boost confidence. They can also be a fun and engaging way to learn and apply geometric principles.