Are Physicists better math puzzle solvers than mathematicans?

In summary: There are certainly physicists who do very sophisticated math (e.g. I could mention more names but I don't want to leave anyone out). But even if it's true that *on average* physics students engage in more sophisticated math than math students, that's not at all the same as saying that *mathematicians* don't know how to do that type of math.In summary, there is a claim that mathematicians have a deeper understanding of math, while physicists and engineers are better at problem solving math. This claim is based on the idea that math students mainly focus on proof of concept exercises, while physics and engineering students are more focused on applying math to solve problems. However, there is no evidence to support this claim and
Pleonasm
This might appear absurd but concidering that math students are so preoccupied with acquring a deeper understanding of mathematics, most of the undergraduate exams are actually not problem solving math per se, but actually "proof of concept" type of excercises (quite different from solving puzzles).

By contrast, physicists and engineers are mainly preoccupied with problem solving math, applying it to a set of circumstances.

Is there any validity to the claim by some that mathematicans have a deeper understanding of math but that phycisists are generally superior problem solvers ( at least undergraduates)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Pleonasm said:
This might appear absurd but concidering that math students are so preoccupied with acquring a deeper understanding of mathematics, most of the undergraduate exams are actually not problem solving math per se, but actually "proof of concept" type of excercises (quite different from solving puzzles).
I doubt that what you're saying about undergrad math exams is true. As someone who taught college-level math for 20 years, virtually all of my exams at the level of calculus and above had at least some applied problems. Very few were of the sort "prove that ..."
Pleonasm said:
By contrast, physicists and engineers are mainly preoccupied with problem solving math, applying it to a set of circumstances.

Is there any validity to the claim by some that mathematicans have a deeper understanding of math but that phycisists are generally superior problem solvers ( at least undergraduates)?
You'll have to provide better evidence to convince me that this is true.

Last edited:
Likes BvU
How you would quantity problem-solving skills without saying which type of problem?

This is sufficiently vague that I don't think it can be answered. Maybe it can be used to start fights, but that's about all.

Likes BvU
mfb said:
How you would quantity problem-solving skills without saying which type of problem?

I am NOT restricting it to any problem other than that which does not relate to proof of concept. It was a universal claim by a PHD in engineering physics that physicists and engineers are better equipped to handle novel problem solving, simply because mathematicans at undergraduate level mainly train proof of concept and verbal examinations.

Goes to show a PHD doesn't protect one from producing stupid remarks :wink:

dr BvU

Likes StoneTemplePython
BvU said:
Goes to show a PHD doesn't protect one from producing stupid remarks :wink:

dr BvU

Why is it stupid? If everything physicists occupy themselves with (especially string theorists) is applied math, while math students can work on anything ranging from proof of concept, statistics (fairly basic math relatively speaking) and economics, doesn't it make sense that physicists would have superior training for novel problem solving?

It isn't clear to me what string theory has to do with this person's background in engineering physics.

If this person is a physicist, I would think there is an eye towards testability and evidence.

How would you propose to test this conjecture (assertion)? Or how would you propose to uncover evidence in its favor or not?

StoneTemplePython said:
It isn't clear to me what string theory has to do with this person's background in engineering physics.

I used string theory as an example to sharpen the argument further, simply because string theory is widely concidered to have the most difficult math possible in physics.

We could test the hypothesis by having thousands of PHD*s in theoretical physics (for argument sake) competiting with math graduates in novel problem solving, to investigate whether there is a substantial difference between the groups success rate. That is, does the applied math in physics tell the tale against proof of concept math graduates who understand deeper but spend less time problem solving.

Their respectives scores in basic math is inseparable, judging by the GRE data, as expected...

Last edited:
As far as I see it, you are committed to one of the two propositions: A) proof of concept math abilities overlap with novel problem solving or B) More time spent on novel problem solving does not equal better performance on novel problem solving (=??).

I only see A) as a tenable position, but highly questionable.

Pleonasm said:
Why is it stupid? If everything physicists occupy themselves with (especially string theorists) is applied math, while math students can work on anything ranging from proof of concept, statistics (fairly basic math relatively speaking) and economics, doesn't it make sense that physicists would have superior training for novel problem solving?

Statistics is not necessarily fairly basic math -- there are many areas of statistics research (e.g. wavelets, topological data analysis, etc.) which can be highly advanced mathematically.

Look up some of the research of people like, say, David Donoho at Stanford (you can search for some of his more recent works on Arxiv).

Related to Are Physicists better math puzzle solvers than mathematicans?

What is the difference between a physicist and a mathematician?

A physicist is a scientist who studies the natural laws and properties of matter, energy, and the universe as a whole. A mathematician, on the other hand, is a scientist who studies and uses mathematical concepts and theories to solve problems and develop new theories.

Do physicists use more complex math than mathematicians?

It depends on the specific field of study within physics and mathematics. Some areas of physics, such as theoretical physics, may require more complex math than others. Similarly, some areas of mathematics, such as pure mathematics, may involve more complex concepts than others. Overall, both physicists and mathematicians use a wide range of mathematical tools and techniques in their work.

Are physicists better at solving math puzzles than mathematicians?

There is no clear answer to this question as it depends on the individual's skills and strengths. Some physicists may excel at solving math puzzles, while others may struggle. Similarly, some mathematicians may be great at solving puzzles, while others may not be as skilled. Overall, both physicists and mathematicians have strong problem-solving abilities, but it ultimately comes down to the individual.

Why do some people believe physicists are better at solving math puzzles than mathematicians?

There may be a common misconception that physicists are better at solving math puzzles because they use math extensively in their work. However, this is not necessarily true as both physicists and mathematicians have strong mathematical abilities and use them in different ways. Additionally, some people may believe this because physicists often use math to solve real-world problems, while mathematicians tend to focus more on theoretical concepts.

Is there a rivalry between physicists and mathematicians?

There is no inherent rivalry between physicists and mathematicians. In fact, many physicists and mathematicians collaborate and work together to solve complex problems. However, like in any field, there may be some competition and differing opinions among individuals, but this does not reflect a general rivalry between the two groups.