General Question about circuits

This is known as Lenz's Law. It is important to understand this concept in order to determine when the sign of the current may turn negative in a circuit.
fredrogers3

Homework Statement

I have a general question concerning circuits. I am a bit confused as to how to determine when the current is negative. For instance, on circuit diagrams, we are shown arrows that indicate the positive direction of current. Then, when we open the switch on the circuit, the current through an inductor all of a sudden turns negative. I thought that such a discontinuous change was not possible. In general, how can I determine when the sign of the current turns negative?

Homework Equations

See Above

The Attempt at a Solution

See Above

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not the current that all of a sudden turns negative through an inductor when a switch gets opened. Just the opposite: If current flowed through a coil earlier, and we break the circuit so the current would cease, an induced electromotive force appears in the coil which maintains the current for a while: opposes the change of current. (Lenz's Law) Sometimes you even see a spark when you plug out a heater or hair-dryer from the socket.

ehild

Last edited:

Related to General Question about circuits

1. What is a circuit?

A circuit is a closed loop through which electric current can flow. It consists of a source of electricity, such as a battery, and various components, such as resistors and capacitors, connected by conductive wires.

2. How do you calculate the voltage in a circuit?

The voltage in a circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). In equation form, this is written as V = IR. Voltage can also be calculated by measuring the potential difference between two points in a circuit using a voltmeter.

3. What is the difference between a series and parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the components are connected one after the other in a single loop. This means that the same current flows through each component. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in branches, allowing the current to split and flow through multiple paths. This results in a different current flowing through each component.

4. How does a circuit work?

A circuit works by allowing electrons to flow from the negative terminal of a battery through the circuit and back to the positive terminal. Along the way, the electrons flow through various components, such as resistors, which can alter the flow of current. This flow of electrons is what powers devices connected to the circuit.

5. What is the purpose of a circuit diagram?

A circuit diagram is a visual representation of a circuit, showing the connections between components and the flow of current. It is used to help engineers and technicians understand the design of a circuit and troubleshoot any issues that may arise. It also allows for easy replication of the circuit for mass production.