General guidance - Physics & Statics

In summary, physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions, while statics is a branch of physics that focuses on the study of objects at rest or with a constant velocity. It has many practical applications in engineering, architecture, and construction, and is based on the three fundamental principles of equilibrium, transmissibility, and action and reaction. In static equilibrium, forces do not cause any change in an object's motion or rotation, and understanding statics helps us better understand and predict the behavior of objects in our daily lives.
shaneb
Here's 2 simple questions :)

1) Should I take Physics I or Statics first?
2) Should I take them together?

As a side note, I've only taken Calc I and Calc II...I plan on taking Diff Eqs along with the above in the same semester.

Thanks for any opinions on this!

Shane

Physics news on Phys.org
Phy 1 before statics. In statics you use a decent amount of stuff from Phy 1. Mainly Newton's 2nd Law with a = 0. But also moments of inertia and center of mass calculations, which I am pretty sure I also learned in phy 1. But could be wrong.

Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought. :)

Related to General guidance - Physics & Statics

1. What is the difference between physics and statics?

Physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions, while statics is a branch of physics that focuses on the study of objects at rest or with a constant velocity. In other words, statics deals with the forces acting on stationary objects, while physics includes the study of both stationary and moving objects.

2. How is statics used in real life?

Statics has many practical applications in engineering, architecture, and construction. It is used to analyze and design structures such as buildings, bridges, and machines to ensure they can withstand the forces acting on them. It is also used in the design of vehicles, aircrafts, and other mechanical systems.

3. What are the basic principles of statics?

The three fundamental principles of statics are: the principle of equilibrium, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object must be zero; the principle of transmissibility, which states that the effects of a force acting on an object are the same regardless of where the force is applied; and the principle of action and reaction, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

4. How do forces affect static equilibrium?

In static equilibrium, forces do not cause any change in an object's motion or rotation. This means that the sum of all forces acting on an object must be zero and the sum of all torques (rotational forces) must also be zero. If these conditions are not met, the object will either move or rotate.

5. How does understanding statics help in understanding the world around us?

Understanding statics allows us to better understand and predict the behavior of objects in our daily lives. It helps us understand how structures and machines are designed to withstand external forces, and how these forces can affect their stability. It also helps us understand natural phenomena such as gravity, friction, and tension, which are all important in the study of statics.