General GRE Scores and Their Effect.

In summary: Most schools don't really care if you get an 800 or not, they are more interested in your grades and your letters of recommendation.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
OK.

So I recently took the computerized general GRE. In my practice tests, I was scoring between 790 and 800 on the quantitative section. It seems that I was taken by surprise by the computer's adaptive questions, because some were more difficult than I expected.

I ended up with a 730 quantitative on the real thing.

I plan on taking the test again, since I am positive that now that I know the true difficulty of the math problems, I can adequately prepare myself for certain types of problems I know I often get wrong. I should be able to end up with a >=780 with not much of a problem.

Now, my question is, am I spending too much time on this? Is this score more of a threshold and less of a scale? i.e. Do schools only care if your above a certain cutoff, like 700 or will the difference between a 730 and a 780/800 matter in regards to schools or assistantships?

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I understand, getting an 800 on the quantitative does not distinguish you from the pack since 800's are more common on the GRE than SAT. I guess your decision to retake it depends on what school you want to go to since some emphasize GRE less than GPA. These schools are just looking to see that your GRE is not too low, I would say less than a 700. By the way according to ETS the average GRE score for engineers is ~730 and for physical sciences a 690.

I'm no expert and I'm also applying to grad school so I'm curious what other people have to say.

I took mine today, and yes, the computer system through me off as well. From what I heard, GRE will not help you get into a good grad school, it is merely a requirement and departments will have a threshold. I'm sure your entire undergraduate performance outweighs 3 hours worth of vocabulary and arithmetic problems.

I checked out a bunch of top graduate school websites to see if they had average GRE scores. CalTech was the only one with average general GRE. The physics department at CalTech says average scores for successful applicants are Verbal 600, Quantitative 780, Analytic 760, Physics Subject 880. CalTech also mentions "Top grades and excellent recommendations often take precedence over less than stellar GRE scores." Chicago only shared the average Physics score which was 829.

http://www.pma.caltech.edu/GSR/faqapplnt.html

I'm sure some other schools have this information, though I didn't come across it on the 5 or so other sites I checked. I hear that if you ask the person in charge of admissions for the department they may be able to give you the scores.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responses everyone. I am pleased to hear that the General is used more as a threshold at most places (or even just as a formality). I may retake it still, but I am not too sure about it.

Do any external fellowships for physical science grad students use the General scores for anything? If so, I may retake it.

ekrim said:
I'm sure your entire undergraduate performance outweighs 3 hours worth of vocabulary and arithmetic problems.

I would hope!:smile:

I'm pretty sure the NSF wanted my General GRE scores for their graduate research fellowship.

I got a 730 quantitative on the general GRE and got into almost every grad school to which I applied, these were all the most selective schools.

I also applied for the NSF fellowship but didn't get it, I doubt my GRE scores had much to do with this though.

I'm pretty sure that the general GRE scores don't really matter much. It's probably just a cutoff at 700 after which is hurts to get below that.

Related to General GRE Scores and Their Effect.

1. What is the purpose of the General GRE?

The General GRE is a standardized test used by graduate schools and business schools to assess an individual's readiness for advanced academic study. The test measures verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing skills.

2. How are General GRE scores used in the admissions process?

General GRE scores are one of several factors that graduate schools consider during the admissions process. Admissions committees use the scores as a way to compare applicants from different backgrounds and educational experiences. However, they also take into account other aspects such as undergraduate GPA, letters of recommendation, and personal statements.

3. What is a "good" General GRE score?

A "good" General GRE score is subjective and can vary depending on the program and school to which you are applying. Some schools may have a specific minimum score requirement, while others may use a score range as a guideline. It is important to research the average scores of accepted students at your desired schools to get an idea of where you stand.

4. Can I retake the General GRE if I am not satisfied with my score?

Yes, you can retake the General GRE. However, there are limitations on how often you can take the test. You can take the test once every 21 days and up to five times within a 12-month period. Keep in mind that all of your scores from the past five years will be visible to schools, so it's important to prepare and aim for your target score on your first attempt.

5. Are General GRE scores the only factor that determines admission to graduate school?

No, General GRE scores are not the only factor that determines admission to graduate school. As mentioned earlier, schools also consider other aspects such as undergraduate GPA, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. Additionally, some programs may place more emphasis on certain components, such as research experience or relevant work experience.