Gauss's Law on a Charged Sphere

In summary, the electric field intensity at r < a is 3Ar2, at r=a it is 3Aa2, and at r > a it is (19/8)Aa3.
LeePhilip01
Hi I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong section or it's laid out wrong but I have a question that I need a bit of help with.

Homework Statement

I'm given: A spherically symmetrical charge distribution is contained within a sphere of radius a with no charge outside. At a distance r (r [itex]\leq[/itex] a) from the centre of the sphere the potential may be written as:

V = -Ar[itex]^{3}[/itex] + B

Then I'm asked to calculate a bunch of things which hopefully I've got right.

(a) Calculate the electric field intensity for r < a.

(b) What is the electric field intensity for r = a.

(c) Using Gauss's law calculate the total charge in the sphere.

(d) What is the electric field for r > a?

(e) What is the potential for r > a if V[itex]_{\infty}[/itex] = 0?

(f) Show that the difference in potential between r = a/2 and r = 2a is given by (19/8)Aa[itex]^{3}[/itex].

It's the last one I'm stuck on.

Homework Equations

Gauss's Law.

E = -[itex]\nabla[/itex] V

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok. So for (a) I differentiated and got E = 3Ar[itex]^{2}[/itex]

(b) I just subbed r=a and got E = 3Aa[itex]^{2}[/itex]

(c) I got that E for r=a with Gauss's Law: E = [itex]\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}a^{2}}[/itex]. Then equated that with answer from (b) to get Q = 12[itex]\pi\epsilon_{0}[/itex]Aa[itex]^{4}[/itex]

(d) I used Gauss's Law again to obtain: E = [itex]\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}r^{2}}[/itex].

Then I subbed in Q from part (c) to get: E = 3A[itex]\frac{a^{4}}{r^{2}}[/itex].

(e) I integrated -E with boundaries r and 0 and got: V = 3A[itex]\frac{a^{4}}{r}[/itex].

(f) Now I subbed r=a/2 into the equation for V given in the question. And r=2a into the equation I just got in part (e). But cannot seem to get (19/8)Aa[itex]^{3}[/itex] at all.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
For e, you need to integrate between r and infinity as the potential is zero at infinity.
For f, you need to match B so as V=-Ar3+B be the same at r=a as the outer potential.

ehild

Last edited:
Got it all sorted now! Thanks!

Related to Gauss's Law on a Charged Sphere

1. What is Gauss's Law on a Charged Sphere?

Gauss's Law on a Charged Sphere is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed within that surface. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is directly proportional to the charge enclosed by that surface.

2. How is Gauss's Law on a Charged Sphere derived?

Gauss's Law on a Charged Sphere is derived from the more general Gauss's Law, which states that the electric flux through any closed surface is equal to the total enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space. By applying this general law to a spherical surface enclosing a point charge, we can derive the specific law for a charged sphere.

3. What is the significance of Gauss's Law on a Charged Sphere?

Gauss's Law on a Charged Sphere has important implications in understanding the behavior of electric fields around charged spheres. It allows us to calculate the electric field at any point outside the sphere by considering only the total charge and the distance from the center of the sphere, making calculations much simpler and more efficient.

4. Can Gauss's Law on a Charged Sphere be applied to other shapes?

Yes, Gauss's Law on a Charged Sphere can be extended to any closed surface, not just spheres. The general Gauss's Law applies to all closed surfaces, and the specific law for a charged sphere is just a special case of this more general law.

5. How does Gauss's Law on a Charged Sphere relate to Coulomb's Law?

Gauss's Law on a Charged Sphere is a mathematical representation of Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. By using Gauss's Law, we can derive Coulomb's Law and vice versa.