Future in Physics? A Student's Questions

In summary, the individual is a community college student with a passion for astrophysics. They have struggled academically due to severe clinical depression, but are determined to transfer to UC Santa Barbara. They wonder about the possibility of transferring with a 3.1 GPA and the potential for success in upper division physics. They also question the possibility of getting into a good graduate school from a lesser known school. Despite a low GPA, their transfer application is strong and they have experience as the president of the school's astrophysics club. They seek advice on whether to switch to an English major or engineering, with the understanding that becoming a professional astronomer is highly competitive.
zsyed94
Sorry for the long post, but I'm in a tricky situation and have a lot of questions. I am a community college student who wants a career in astrophysics. My end goal is to contribute to scientific knowledge doing research, but my focus is on being a popularizer of science, teaching in some way to the public and hopefully inspiring people to want to learn. Here is the snag, though: I have always been impeded academically by severe clinical depression, even if I didn't always know it. I tanked my first year at this school with B's and a C in my major courses, started getting professional help while taking time off of class, and then came back to school after a semester. I've taken three classes in the last two semesters, and have B's in all three..two of them were elective courses that I didn't even need and one was Linear Algebra. I'm in a position now where if I can get straight A's in my current courses, I can TAG to UC Santa Barbara and be on my way. If not, though, where can I transfer with a 3.1 GPA? And if I'm struggling now in the easier courses, am I setting myself up for failure in upper division physics? Or let's say I get better as a student but not in time for this semesters transfer apps; can I still get into a good grad school from a lesser known and less selective school like San Jose state or San Francisco state, and if so, how well would I have to do? Should I abandon physics for now and try an English major or something, and come back later in life?
As of right now, my transfer application is strong in my personal statements and in that I spent a year as the president of the schools astrophysics club, where we hosted public events. My biggest weakness is a GPA almost as low as the cutoff rate.
Thanks in advance for your replies, and I appreciate you taking the time to read this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't wouldn't switch to English. I would switch to engineering. You will find it is easier. The great thing is that you can still get a job in astronomy as an engineer. Every observatory hires engineers to design experiments and keep things running. That said, to be a real astronomer is like being a professional athlete. It is said that if you have not been the very best athlete on every team you have ever been on, becoming a professional athlete is hopeless. The same applies to astronomy. The competition is that intense.

Related to Future in Physics? A Student's Questions

1. What career options are available for students studying physics?

There are a wide range of career options for students studying physics, such as research scientists, engineers, data analysts, teachers, and even consultants in various industries like technology, healthcare, and finance.

2. What skills are necessary for a successful career in physics?

Some important skills for a successful career in physics include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, mathematical proficiency, critical thinking skills, and the ability to work well in a team and communicate effectively.

3. How important is math in studying physics?

Math is an essential tool in studying physics. It provides the necessary language and framework for understanding and describing the natural world. A strong foundation in math is crucial for success in physics courses and careers.

4. Is it necessary to obtain a graduate degree in physics?

While a bachelor's degree in physics can lead to a variety of career opportunities, obtaining a graduate degree can open up more advanced and specialized roles in research or academia. It ultimately depends on an individual's career goals.

5. What are some current advancements and developments in the field of physics?

Some current advancements in physics include the study of dark matter and dark energy, the exploration of quantum computing, and the development of new technologies in renewable energy and space exploration. Physics is a constantly evolving field, so there are always new discoveries and developments being made.