Funniest Sci-Fi Episodes: What are the Top Picks?

• Thread starter Gaz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed people's favorite funny episodes from various science fiction shows. One person mentioned "Harmony" from Stargate Atlantis, while another brought up "A Piece of the Action" from the original Star Trek series. The X-Files episode "Jose Chung's From Outer Space" and the Red Dwarf episode with the despair squid were also mentioned. The conversation then shifted to an episode of Deep Space Nine that referenced the original Star Trek episode "The Trouble with Tribbles", and Worf's attempt to hide his Klingon forehead.
Gaz
What's peoples favorite Funny episodes?

Mine has to be Stargate Atlantis s4 e14 : Harmony. Really funny if you haven't seen it you should watch it.

Physics news on Phys.org
From the original Star Trek series: "A Piece of the Action", with Kirk and Spock dressed up like 1920s Chicago gangsters:

Spock: Captain, I'm neither brooding nor sombre, but I do have reservations about your solution to the problem of the Iotians.

Capt. Kirk: Ah, yes. I understand that. You don't think it's logical to leave a criminal organization in charge.

Spock: Highly irregular, to say the least, Captain. I'm also curious as to how you propose to explain to Starfleet Command that a starship will be sent each year to collect "our cut."

Last edited:
The X-Files episode "Jose Chung's From Outer Space".

That Red Dwarf episode with the despair squid. Although I'm not sure Red Dwarf would count since it is a Sci-Fi Sit Com :)

*edit* or the episode where Rimmer gets the holo virus that drives him insane.
"We can't do that Mr. Flibbles... who would clean up the mess??"

On an episode of "Deep Space 9" (which I didn't particularly like- but kept watching!) the crew, Sisko, Worf, and another, go back in time to the same space station where the original "Star Trek" series did "The Trouble with Tribbles", using tape from that original series, with the Deep Space Nine crew add. Worf, as he often did when trying to "pass" for something other than a Klingon, is wearing a hat that covers his forehead. The "Klingons" from the original show, of course, did not have the "forehead ridge" that all other Klingons from "second generation", on forward, had. The others ask "what happened!" Worfs response is "We Klingons don't talk about that".

Related to Funniest Sci-Fi Episodes: What are the Top Picks?

1. What makes a sci-fi episode funny?

A sci-fi episode can be considered funny if it incorporates elements of humor, satire, or parody in its plot, characters, or dialogue. It can also be funny if it pokes fun at common sci-fi tropes or uses absurd scenarios.

2. Are there any famous examples of funny sci-fi episodes?

Yes, there are many famous examples of funny sci-fi episodes. Some popular ones include "The Trouble with Tribbles" from Star Trek: The Original Series, "Once More, With Feeling" from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and "The One with the Princess Leia Fantasy" from Friends.

3. Can a funny sci-fi episode also have serious themes?

Yes, a funny sci-fi episode can also have serious themes. In fact, many sci-fi shows use humor to tackle complex or serious issues in a more approachable way. For example, the episode "Hush" from Buffy the Vampire Slayer uses humor to explore the power of communication.

4. Why do viewers enjoy funny sci-fi episodes?

Viewers enjoy funny sci-fi episodes because they offer a break from the typical serious and intense tone of sci-fi shows. They also provide a sense of light-heartedness and entertainment, making them a refreshing and enjoyable watch.

5. Can a sci-fi episode be too funny?

Some may argue that a sci-fi episode can be too funny, as too much humor may take away from the serious or thought-provoking elements of the show. However, it ultimately depends on personal preference and the execution of the humor in the episode.