Free fall of straight wire in a homogeneous magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the inductive voltage of a falling wire in a magnetic field using two different equations. The first equation calculates instantaneous velocity and EMF, while the second equation calculates average velocity and EMF. This leads to a discussion on the difference between instantaneous and average values.
alkmini
hello every body. I have a high school problem
a straight horizontal wire is falling freely in a homogeneous horizontal magnetic field, perpendicular to the wire and i want to find the inductive voltage.
I said E= Blv=Blgt
But I can also say E=ΔΦ/Δt=BΔΑ/Δt=Βl1/2gt [t][2]/Δt=1/2Blgt
why doew this difference of 1/2 arise?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hummm...

Your problem arises because of something like this:v = gt, but... v = 1/2gt too?

That's because on the first equation, you were finding INSTANTANEOUS velocity, so therefore INSTANTANEOUS EMF.
On the second equation, you somehow got average velocity... I'm still trying to figure it out.

A-ha! Okay, I think I got it figured out.
When you substituted 1/2gt for X, and divided by t to get 1/2gt, you actually found the average velocity, since it's NOT instantaneous velocity. The velocity constantly changes because the wire is accelerating.

Both of your equations are right, except the first one is instantaneous EMF after a certain T, and the second equation is average EMF with respect to T.

Last edited:
thanks a lot

Related to Free fall of straight wire in a homogeneous magnetic field

1. What is free fall of a straight wire in a homogeneous magnetic field?

The free fall of a straight wire in a homogeneous magnetic field is a phenomenon in which a wire falls vertically through a uniform magnetic field without experiencing any resistance or drag. This occurs due to the interaction between the Earth's magnetic field and the electric current flowing through the wire.

2. What are the factors that affect the free fall of a straight wire in a homogeneous magnetic field?

The main factors that affect the free fall of a straight wire in a homogeneous magnetic field are the strength of the magnetic field, the length of the wire, and the amount of current flowing through the wire. These variables can be manipulated to change the rate at which the wire falls or to prevent it from falling altogether.

3. How does the velocity of the wire change during free fall in a homogeneous magnetic field?

During free fall in a homogeneous magnetic field, the velocity of the wire remains constant. This is because the force of gravity pulling the wire down is equal to the magnetic force pushing the wire up, resulting in a balanced system and a constant velocity.

4. Can the direction of free fall be changed in a homogeneous magnetic field?

Yes, the direction of free fall can be changed in a homogeneous magnetic field by adjusting the direction of the magnetic field or the direction of the current flowing through the wire. This can cause the wire to fall at an angle or to move in a circular path.

5. What are some real-life applications of free fall of a straight wire in a homogeneous magnetic field?

The free fall of a straight wire in a homogeneous magnetic field has many practical applications, such as in electromagnetic braking systems, magnetic levitation trains, and particle accelerators. It is also used in experiments to study the behavior of electric currents and magnetic fields.