Fourier transform of single pulse & sequence of pulses

In summary: However, if the sequence is finite in duration then the Fourier transform will only represent the frequencies that were present in the original sequence.
bfusco

Homework Statement

What is the Fourier transform of a single short pulse and of a sequence of pulses?

The Attempt at a Solution

In class we haven't dealt with the mathematics of a Fourier transform, however my professor has simple stated that a Fourier transform is simply a equation converter. You can take equations that are a function of frequency and change them to a function of time, and vice versa.

With that said, i think that the Fourier transform of a single short pulse consists of an infinite amount of waves, that destructively interfere everywhere except one place.

From that i want to say a series of pulses is the sum of many waves that have phase relations that there is periodic constuctive interference, but destructive interference in between. I have no clue if this is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are basically correct

By 'sequence of pulses' do you mean a finite number of pulses or an infinite number?

I believe infinite pulses, although the professor didn't specify

A single very short pulse has (in the limit) an infinate frequency spectrum. This is why one can determine characteristics of a filter by exciting the filter with a single pulse and then doing a Fourier transform on the output waveform to determine the filter characteristics.

A repeated pulse stream has discrete frequencies in the transform. The frequencies are multiples of the frequency of the puilse stream. However, the amplitude of the frequencies are determined by the width of the pulses and will form a Sin(x)/x envelope so to speak.

bfusco said:

Homework Statement

What is the Fourier transform of a single short pulse and of a sequence of pulses?

The Attempt at a Solution

In class we haven't dealt with the mathematics of a Fourier transform, however my professor has simple stated that a Fourier transform is simply a equation converter. You can take equations that are a function of frequency and change them to a function of time, and vice versa.

With that said, i think that the Fourier transform of a single short pulse consists of an infinite amount of waves, that destructively interfere everywhere except one place.
What do you mean " .. except in one place"?

From that i want to say a series of pulses is the sum of many waves that have phase relations that there is periodic constuctive interference, but destructive interference in between. I have no clue if this is correct.

I don't see how you can find the Fourier transform of anything if you haven't dealt with the math.

If the sequence is infinite in duration (past and future) then the Fourier transform represents an infinite number of discrete frequencies. Those frequencies appear in the Fourier series.

Related to Fourier transform of single pulse & sequence of pulses

What is a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical tool used to decompose a signal into its individual frequency components. It converts a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain, allowing us to analyze the signal's frequency content.

What is a single pulse?

A single pulse is a brief, isolated burst of energy or signal. In the context of Fourier transform, it refers to a single instance of a signal that is used to represent a specific point in time.

How is a Fourier transform of a single pulse calculated?

The Fourier transform of a single pulse is calculated by taking the integral of the signal multiplied by a complex exponential function over all time. This yields a frequency spectrum that represents the signal's frequency content.

What is a sequence of pulses?

A sequence of pulses is a series of individual pulses that occur one after another. In the context of Fourier transform, it refers to multiple instances of a signal that are used to represent a continuous signal over a period of time.

How is a Fourier transform of a sequence of pulses calculated?

The Fourier transform of a sequence of pulses is calculated by taking the integral of the signal multiplied by a complex exponential function over all time. This yields a frequency spectrum that represents the signal's frequency content over a period of time.