Forum seems less active compared to 10 years ago?

• Thread starter Mulz
  • Start date
I do have hard data: traffic on other forums went down, on one that I observe closely it is now about five times lower than it was around the 2012/3, when it was at its peak. Measured by "new threads per year".

• Informative
Likes pinball1970 and Bystander
Physics news on Phys.org
Borek said:
traffic on other forums went down

Yep, one polish mathematical forum where I am a moderator is almost dead, and it really was the most popular mathematical forum when it was at its peak.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970, Borek and fresh_42
Borek said:
I do have hard data: traffic on other forums went down, on one that I observe closely it is now about five times lower than it was around the 2012/3, when it was at its peak. Measured by "new threads per year".
Interesting. I am curious as to reasons for the decline in traffic.

Perhaps those interested in science are finding their interests away from forums like PF in favour of other websites (e.g. Reddit).

Or perhaps the decline could be part of a broader cyclical pattern, in which PF and other forums are at the trough where 2012 and 2013 were the peak.

A couple of observations.
Firstly, I believe the moderation is perhaps a bit stricter and the list of banned topic a bit longer than it was 10 years ago. Often, the most popular threads (which presumably drive traffic?) are about controversial topics. There seem(?) to be fewer threads about quantum teleportation etc; and even the quantum interpretations threads seem calmer since they moved into their own sub-forum

Secondly. young people use internet in a different way (or at least the young person I have the opportunity to study). I started using forums back in the mid 90s (usenet) and was a member of several forums all over the internet when I was a student.
I suspect at least some of that type of traffic was taken over by Facebook groups. Now that only old people (or so I am told) use Facebook "communicating with others" seems for many young people mean Instagram or maybe Whatsapp (or some other messaging app). I suspect the idea of joining a forum on a specific website is quite alien to many young people
That said, Discord seems to a thing; and this is very ,very similar to the chatrooms of the 90s; maybe forums will make a comeback as well?

• Informative
Likes Tom.G and DaveC426913
BWV said:
But has there been any significant discoveries in physics over the past 10 years, or just more and more precise measurement?
Gravitational waves, tetraquarks and pentaquarks, extrasolar neutrinos (excluding supernovae), CP violation in the charm sector. Large-scale exoplanet discoveries, Hubble tension, much better estimates for dark matter and dark energy density. That's just some examples from particle physics and closely related fields, not all of physics.

Almost all forums saw a decline in activity in the last 10 years. Many of them shut down completely or became essentially inactive. PF is still active, just not with the same posts per day as 10 years ago.

Likes DennisN, Astronuc, berkeman and 3 others
f95toli said:
A couple of observations.
Firstly, I believe the moderation is perhaps a bit stricter and the list of banned topic a bit longer than it was 10 years ago. Often, the most popular threads (which presumably drive traffic?) are about controversial topics. There seem(?) to be fewer threads about quantum teleportation etc; and even the quantum interpretations threads seem calmer since they moved into their own sub-forum

Secondly. young people use internet in a different way (or at least the young person I have the opportunity to study). I started using forums back in the mid 90s (usenet) and was a member of several forums all over the internet when I was a student.
I suspect at least some of that type of traffic was taken over by Facebook groups. Now that only old people (or so I am told) use Facebook "communicating with others" seems for many young people mean Instagram or maybe Whatsapp (or some other messaging app). I suspect the idea of joining a forum on a specific website is quite alien to many young people
That said, Discord seems to a thing; and this is very ,very similar to the chatrooms of the 90s; maybe forums will make a comeback as well?
I do not see Instagram as lending itself to communicating about science, given its primarily visual nature (people tend to go on Instagram to compare and contrast pictures or video clips people have taken through their phones). WhatsApp is primarily used as a means of texting and calling individual people, so I see it as unlikely as a place where a broad group of people would communicate.

My own speculation is that the primary way younger people interested in science would go to discuss about science (apart from forums like ours) would be the following:

1. Reddit

2. Discord (I myself am a part of Discord as well -- I use the Discord chatting feature to talk to a dear friend who moved to British Columbia).

Last edited:
BWV said:
But has there been any significant discoveries in physics over the past 10 years, or just more and more precise measurement?
mfb said:
Gravitational waves, tetraquarks and pentaquarks, extrasolar neutrinos (excluding supernovae), CP violation in the charm sector. Large-scale exoplanet discoveries, Hubble tension, much better estimates for dark matter and dark energy density. That's just some examples from particle physics and closely related fields, not all of physics.
Roughly the last 10 years have also seen time crystals (AMO physics) and the thermodynamic uncertainty relation (stat mech) in theoretical physics, as well as room temperature exciton condensates and moire physics in twisted 2D materials (both condensed matter/solid state) in experimental physics, just to add to the list. Not to mention the tons of work being done in active matter/soft matter/biophysics, etc.

Edit: yes, I know all of these discoveries have theoretical and experimental support, but I was trying to grab examples from a number of different "kinds" of physics.

Likes mfb, dextercioby and berkeman
StatGuy2000 said:
I do not see Instagram as lending itself to communicating about science, given its primarily visual nature (people tend to go on Instagram to compare and contrast pictures or video clips people have taken through their phones). WhatsApp is primarily used as a means of texting and calling individual people, so I see it as unlikely as a place where a broad group of people would communicate

That was sort of my point; it seems(?) methods (apps, websites etc) which involve directly communicating with a lot of people you don't necessarily know (such as Facebook) are no longer very popular with young people. When it comes to actual discussions my observation is that many prefer to stick to "closed" communities (such as whatsapp groups) where only people they somehow know can see what they post/ask.
I don't see Instagram (and certainly not tiktok) as being similar to a forum, from what I've seen these are more about one-way communication where people post "content" not necessarily expecting to create a discussion with strangers.

Edit: Also, as has been stated above;' this is not an issue only affect science forums. It seems to affect ALL forum with Reddit being the notable exception.,

Last edited:
Likes dextercioby and Greg Bernhardt
It seems like there must be a "Learned Study" or three that has been done by someone, somewhere!

Anyone have enough Search cleverness to find something?

Likes berkeman
How about this for a theory. Video feeds. People can watch other people do dumb things almost indefinitely now. Arguably, its more practical to their daily lives to do so, as opposed to endlessly pondering our existential crisis and the invisible cogs that create it. Science says there is no ultimate meaning, so people basically give up. Maybe that's just me being melodramatic.

Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt
erobz said:
Science says there is no ultimate meaning
Science says nothing about meaning; if you're looking for it there, you've already gone astray.

Forum activity across the board may be down, but also consider that it's summer and school has only recently started up (at least in the US). There always seems to be a dip in activity during the summer months--and a flurry of activity during exam season.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970, symbolipoint, Tom.G and 2 others
Vanadium 50 said:
Is every single message from 10 years ago here? No.
Is every single message from 10 days ago here? No.
Spam gets removed, and crackpottery sometimes gets removed, and rarely non-crackpot instances of bad behavior get removed.

But counting seems like a better plan than "it seems to me".

Two things to watch for - one is that there have been reorganizations, so some sections didn't exist then, and another is that MHB content has been merged into PF.
Some automated system of counting and data treatment?

If no then back to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5,
..., 6, 7, ....

It seems to me that even 5 years ago, if you googled a science topic, the search engine was likely to send you to at least one Physics Forums thread. That still happens sometimes these days, but not as often as previously.

StatGuy2000 said:
I do not see Instagram as lending itself to communicating about science, given its primarily visual nature (people tend to go on Instagram to compare and contrast pictures or video clips people have taken through their phones). WhatsApp is primarily used as a means of texting and calling individual people, so I see it as unlikely as a place where a broad group of people would communicate.

My own speculation is that the primary way younger people interested in science would go to discuss about science (apart from forums like ours) would be the following:

1. Reddit

2. Discord (I myself am a part of Discord as well -- I use the Discord chatting feature to talk to a dear friend who moved to British Columbia).
There's also this pinterest.com thingy. Dont despair though. IRC may not be what it once was but if I need instant help on geeky topics thats where I'll go. Old-fashioned Bulletin Board Systems may not be around anymore but IRC is still alive.

No offense to this forum. The rules are indeed strict (I know because I got my fair share of warnings), but I'm sure that's also what attracts well-educated people and keep'em all doing their best.

Likes BillTre and symbolipoint
Charles Link said:
It seems to me that even 5 years ago, if you googled a science topic, the search engine was likely to send you to at least one Physics Forums thread. That still happens sometimes these days, but not as often as previously.

Perhaps physicsforums.com needs some search engine optimization. :)

sbrothy said:
No offense to this forum. The rules are indeed strict (I know because I got my fair share of warnings)
Yes, there are fora around with a different ethos. I am on one that is sort of "the other side of the tracks", as it were. A forum can't be all things to all people.

Likes BillTre and Greg Bernhardt
TLDR: traffic here is down because this forum is too hostile to new visitors.

1693408225330.png
I'm pretty sure the above is a fake photo. So not tomorrow's problem, but an ongoing one.
lavinia said:
Rather it is the instrument of doom. Monsanto's maxim "Better Living Through Chemistry" has been exchanged for pessimism about industrial agriculture, food additives, Big Pharma,and so on. Today, applied science is seen to be destroying the planet whereas in Oppenheimer's day it was seen to be increasing well being and personal freedom. Many people I talk to even see "Western Science" as a failure for humanity. So it would not surprise me if the interest in STEM has declined.
It isn't so much science itself that has declined, as our faith in political institutions to keep science used safely, instead of used for a few people to accumulate power. We aren't allowed to own things anymore. Progress just eliminates jobs and poisons people.

[Political comments deleted by the Mentors]

Physics Forums is not helpful in this regard. I too have tried to help new users, only to see them shunned and banned by mods for asking forbidden questions. This makes science seem malicious and resembling a false faith to them. It is probably why crackpot theories and paranoid accusations get so many followers. Sometimes you can get better discussions on 4chan.

People today can't tell the difference between rational inquiry and blind scepticism. That distinction is more important than anything else discussed on this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
Algr said:
Physics Forums is not helpful in this regard. I too have tried to help new users, only to see them shunned and banned by mods for asking forbidden questions. This makes science seem malicious and resembling a false faith to them. It is probably why crackpot theories and paranoid accusations get so many followers. Sometimes you can get better discussions on 4chan.
We've discussed this over many years. The early days of PF were a wild west and it was a cesspool. Few credible members wanted to participate. We had to decide on fewer members and productive discussions or many members but destructive discussions. We made a choice and we don't regret it for a second.

Likes SammyS, gleem, pinball1970 and 10 others
Greg Bernhardt said:
cesspool
Eliminating the sewers does not make a town cleaner.

• Sad
Likes weirdoguy
Algr said:
Eliminating the sewers does not make a town cleaner.
Perhaps not, but banning the heavy defecators from the town certainly does.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, OmCheeto, sbrothy and 2 others
@Algr
your post #52:

Most of the post I cannot agree and I cannot disagree. My reaction is that your post is interesting.

Your last sentence specifically is good to be reminded about and that I do agree.
People today can't tell the difference between rational inquiry and blind scepticism. That distinction is more important than anything else discussed on this forum.

Algr said:
Sometimes you can get better discussions on 4chan. [...]
Discussions(?) on 4chan? I was under the impression that 4chan was mostly for "crazy manifestos", "discussions" about "specific demographics" and a certain type of "pediatrics". Truth be told though I haven't had neither the patience nor scatterbrain-ability to "follow" a "discussion" on 4chan.

Talk about cesspool.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
If you want to help people learn critical thinking skills, you are better of going to 4chan than posting here. On 4chan you will find trolls and edgelords, but you will also find people who honestly want to learn how to evaluate an idea on its own merits, rather than just looking at which authority backs what. Physics Forums, with its emphasis on authority, is not going to be useful for that.

So you can complain about the cesspool, but you need fertilizer to grow crops. And your "heavy defecators" are often where you get your beef from. Galileo is not Bart Sibrel, but the authorities of the time are infamus for not knowing the distinction.

• Skeptical
Likes sbrothy and weirdoguy
Algr said:
If you want to help people learn critical thinking skills, you are better of going to 4chan than posting here. On 4chan you will find trolls and edgelords, but you will also find people who honestly want to learn how to evaluate an idea on its own merits, rather than just looking at which authority backs what. Physics Forums, with its emphasis on authority, is not going to be useful for that.

So you can complain about the cesspool, but you need fertilizer to grow crops. And your "heavy defecators" are often where you get your beef from. Galileo is not Bart Sibrel, but the authorities of the time are infamus for not knowing the distinction.
Riiggghhhhtttttt............

Algr said:

Please, mentor or moderator, give a constructive or instructive response to that. physicsforums is not usually as severely bad as he are trying to describe. At least this forum has sections/boards dedicated to thoughts, discussions, experience in Natural Sciences and technologies. I'm not so sure about the other online communities he mentioned.

Likes Charles Link
Bystander said:
Riiggghhhhtttttt............
symbolipoint said:
Please, mentor or moderator, give a constructive or instructive response to that. physicsforums is not usually as severely bad as he are trying to describe.
Well, we don't normally comment on the Moderation history of a particular user, so no comment.

Likes sbrothy
Algr said:
Physics Forums, with its emphasis on authority,
It's not "authority" (there's an ongoing thread in Relativity at the moment discussing errors in Susskind's book, for example), but rather there's a minimum standard for what we're willing to spend time and server space on discussing.

I used to participate in a science forum that allowed free discussion of ideas. It didn't attract critical thinkers, it attracted fantasists who believed themselves to be critical thinkers.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes pinball1970, Charles Link, symbolipoint and 2 others
Algr said:
but you will also find people who honestly want to learn how to evaluate an idea on its own merits

And you really think they will learn anything with a mixture of "normal" people and a bunch of crackpots and trolls? Sorry, but I don't think that PF is to strict for "people who honestly want to learn".

Likes Charles Link and PeroK
Algr said:
If you want to help people learn critical thinking skills, you are better of going to 4chan than posting here. On 4chan you will find trolls and edgelords, [...]

Well, I certainly learned... something here. "Edgelord" is a new one to me. But please point me to a serious discussion on 4chan. Any kind of serious discussion really. You might want to do so in a private message though or I suspect it'll be an infraction of the rules here.

PS: I didn't really mean that. Please don't.

Algr said:
traffic here is down because this forum is too hostile to new visitors.
I am not sure of the causal connection, but there is probably too much snark directed at newbies and definitely too much piling on. Long time users are trying to impress other long time users.

Likes erobz, Tom.G, BillTre and 3 others
Frabjous said:
I am not sure of the causal connection, but there is probably too much snark directed at newbies and definitely too much piling on. Long time users are trying to impress other long time users.
I'll gladly admit that my last comment was unneccessary and perhaps even in bad taste. I apologize for that, but please.... comparing 4chan and this forum seems to me ridiculous.

• Wow
Likes gmax137, BillTre, sbrothy and 2 others
berkeman said:
Well, we don't normally comment on the Moderation history of a particular user, so no comment.
Sometimes silence is a comment in itself. And rightly so, at least in this case.

EDIT: And probably in my case as well.

Likes berkeman and Charles Link
Tom.G said:
It seems like there must be a "Learned Study" or three that has been done by someone, somewhere!

Anyone have enough Search cleverness to find something ?
Ironically, there seems to be plenty of hits on Google Scholar but they all seem to be about 10 years old.

EDIT: I left out "or more" to serve the irony.

Last edited:
symbolipoint said:
Please, mentor or moderator, give a constructive or instructive response to that.
So... you are asking the authority for a response on if PF is too deferential to authority. I thank the moderators for not getting sucked into an ad hominem trap.

I'm not asking anyone to switch to 4chan. I am saying that there shouldn't be any situation where 4chan is a better place to discuss an idea. So if that ever happens, it is a concern.

Distinguishing between legitimate criticism and trolling is hard. Democracy is hard. But the alternative can take you to places that are hard to escape from.