Force vector in a new coordinate frame?

In summary, this conversation discusses how to approach a question involving vector measurements in different coordinate bases. The solution involves using trigonometry to convert between different bases and understanding the relationship between vector components and the angle between them.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/9092/captureykj.png

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is also in the image above. I have no clue how to start this question. Could anyone be so kind to give me a hint on how I should approach this question? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
theBEAST said:

Homework Statement

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/9092/captureykj.png

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is also in the image above. I have no clue how to start this question. Could anyone be so kind to give me a hint on how I should approach this question? Thanks!

The statement "[itex]\mathbf{f}[/itex] is measured as [itex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ -1\end{bmatrix}\text{N}[/itex] in the [itex]u[/itex], [itex]v[/itex] coordinate basis" means that [itex]\mathbf{f} = (1 \text{N})\mathbf{e}_u +(-1\text{N}) \mathbf{e}_v[/itex]. So, if you can do a little trig to express [itex]\mathbf{e}_u[/itex] & [itex]\mathbf{e}_v[/itex] in terms of [itex]\mathbf{e}_x[/itex] & [itex]\mathbf{e}_y[/itex], you can express [itex]\mathbf{f}[/itex] in the [itex]x[/itex], [itex]y[/itex] coordinate basis.

Hint: [itex]\mathbf{A} \cdot \mathbf{B} = ||\mathbf{A}||||\mathbf{B}|| \cos \theta[/itex], where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle between the two vectors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Force vector in a new coordinate frame?

1. What is a force vector in a new coordinate frame?

A force vector in a new coordinate frame refers to the representation of a force in a different coordinate system. This means that the magnitude and direction of the force may appear differently when viewed from the new coordinate frame.

2. How is a force vector in a new coordinate frame calculated?

A force vector in a new coordinate frame can be calculated by first determining the components of the force in the original coordinate system, and then using transformation equations to convert these components into the new coordinate system.

3. Why is it important to understand force vectors in new coordinate frames?

Understanding force vectors in new coordinate frames is important because it allows for a more comprehensive understanding of how forces act on objects. It also enables us to analyze and predict the effects of forces in different directions and orientations.

4. Can a force vector change in different coordinate frames?

Yes, a force vector can change in different coordinate frames. This is because the representation of the force is dependent on the chosen coordinate system, and different coordinate systems may have different orientations and axes.

5. How are force vectors in new coordinate frames used in real-life applications?

Force vectors in new coordinate frames are used in various real-life applications such as engineering, physics, and navigation. They are particularly useful in analyzing forces in complex systems, such as aircraft and spacecraft, where forces may act in multiple directions and orientations.