Force required to produce wave in tank

In summary, the problem involves building a tank to produce waves using either a pneumatic system or a motor and cam system. Before ordering any parts, the force required to move the flap the necessary distance must be determined. The calculations involve finding the distance, mass of the displaced water, height of the water when the flap is extended, and the force needed to move the flap. The work-energy theorem is used, but there may be some missing factors and considerations.
Whatamiat

Homework Statement

I am building a tank to produce waves.
I have two options to power the flap that will be produced to create the waves:

1. Pneumatic system
2. Motor and Cam system

Before I can order motors or pneumatic air cylinders I need to know what force will be required to move the flap the required distance to produce the waves.

Sketches of both systems are attached
Sketch of problem is attached

Homework Equations

Fxd = mgh

P= FxA ?

The Attempt at a Solution

From attached images:

Mass of Water = 7500kg

Finding Distance:
d = tan 18 x 1 = 32.5cm

Finding mass of displaced water:
d x h x w = .325 x 1 x .75 = 243.75kg
but we are dealing with triangle so
mass of displaced water =243.75/2 = 121.875kg of water displaced

Calculating Height of water when flap is extended:
Mass of water = length of tank x width of tank x height of tank
7.5 = (10-.1625) x .75 x h
h = 1.0165 cm

Calculating Force:
d = 32.5/2 = 16.25 (as we are dealing with triangle not rectangle)

F x 16.25 = 7500x9.81x1.0165

F = 4602.4kN

My Thoughts
Very sure I am missing something fundamental with this solution but not sure what!

I feel I have ignored the fact that the force is being applied at 1.25m not 1m but don't know how to incorporate this.

Im also unsure if I have used the wrong figures for my Fxd=mgh solution.

I feel P=F/A can be incorporated but not sure how?

Thanks for any feedback!

Attachments

• wave generater pneumatic.JPG
    wave generater pneumatic.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 431
  • wave generater.JPG
    wave generater.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 372
  • detailed sketch.JPG
    detailed sketch.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 472
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Whatamiat! :smile:

Are you using the work-energy theorem? (it would have been clearer if you'd said so)

If so, in the formula work done = force "dot" displacement, the displacement is the displacement of the point of application of the force. :wink:

Your solution seems to be on the right track, but there are a few things to consider. First, your calculation for the mass of displaced water is incorrect. It should be d x h x w = .325 x 1 x .75 = .24375 m^3. Then, using the density of water (1000 kg/m^3), the mass of displaced water would be 243.75 kg, not 121.875 kg.

Next, your calculation for the height of water when the flap is extended is also incorrect. It should be h = 1.0165 m, not cm.

Additionally, you are correct in thinking that the force is being applied at 1.25 m instead of 1 m. This means you will need to take into account the lever arm in your calculation. The correct equation to use would be F x 16.25 = 7500 x 9.81 x (1.0165 - 1.25), where 1.0165 is the height of the water when the flap is extended, and 1.25 is the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is being applied.

You can also use the equation P = F/A, where A is the area of the flap, to calculate the required force. However, this will only give you the force required to move the flap, not the force required to produce waves in the tank. To calculate the force required for the waves, you will need to consider the mass of the water being moved by the flap and the force required to accelerate it to the desired speed.

Overall, your solution is on the right track, but there are a few errors and considerations that need to be taken into account. It's always a good idea to double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct units and equations for the problem.

Related to Force required to produce wave in tank

1. What is the force required to produce a wave in a tank?

The force required to produce a wave in a tank depends on various factors such as the size and shape of the tank, the depth of the water, and the properties of the liquid. It can be calculated using the formula F = ρghA, where F is the force, ρ is the density of the liquid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the depth of the water, and A is the surface area of the wave.

2. How does the depth of the water affect the force required to produce a wave in a tank?

The depth of the water plays a significant role in determining the force required to produce a wave in a tank. The deeper the water, the higher the force needed to create a wave. This is because the deeper the water, the more weight the water exerts, and therefore, a greater force is required to displace it and create a wave.

3. What is the relationship between the size of the tank and the force required to produce a wave?

The size of the tank also affects the force required to produce a wave. A larger tank will require a greater force to create a wave compared to a smaller tank. This is because a larger tank has a larger surface area, and therefore, more force is needed to displace the water and create a wave.

4. How does the type of liquid in the tank affect the force required to produce a wave?

The properties of the liquid in the tank also play a significant role in determining the force required to produce a wave. The density and viscosity of the liquid will affect the force needed to create a wave. A more dense and viscous liquid will require more force to create a wave compared to a less dense and viscous liquid.

5. Can the force required to produce a wave in a tank be increased or decreased?

Yes, the force required to produce a wave in a tank can be increased or decreased by changing the variables such as the depth of the water, the size of the tank, and the properties of the liquid. Additionally, the force can also be increased by applying external force, such as using a mechanical wave generator or by creating a disturbance on the surface of the water.