Solving Combustion Q: Find Steam Raised Per Hour

• Thread starter darin khan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combustion
In summary, the three equations are: c4H10 + o2 --> CO2 + h20c3H8 + o2 ---> CO2 + h20c4h8 + 6o2 --> CO2 + h20
darin khan
Hi there,

I was wondering if you could kindly help me in one of the question. its a tiny question..

the question is
1. A fuel gas consists of 75% butane (C4H10), 10% propane (C3H8) and 15% butene (C4H8) by volume. It is to be fed to the combustion chamber in 10% excess air at 25ºC, where it is completely burnt to carbon dioxide and water. The flue gases produced are to be used to generate 5 bar steam from water at 90ºC

If 5% of the heat available for steam production is lost to the atmosphere, determine the amount of steam raised per hour when the total flow of flue gsaes is 1400 kmol /h

Data: Net calorific value (MJ m–3) at 25ºC of: Butane (C4H10) = 111.7 MJ m–3 Butene (C4H8) = 105.2 MJ m–3 Propane (C3H8) = 85.8 MJ m–3 Air is 21% oxygen, 79% nitrogen by volume and 23.3% oxygen and 76.7% nitrogen by mass. Atomic mass of C = 12, O = 16, N=14 and H = 1.

now the solution I'm meant to do is :
find the total heat required to heat water and we do it in three steps
1. find the sensible heat 90-100C --- the equation is m x cp x (temp difference) I am not sure what tthe flow rate is and is the water m,cp ?
2. Latent heat - 100-152C
3.Sensible heat- not sure the temp difference
then we add all them to find the total and then 5% is lost so total heat/ 0.95 to find the heat supplied and at the end we are meant to divide the mass available by heat required.

does my method seems alright?
i will be highly glad if you could kindly help me in this.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the three chemical reaction equations? How many moles of oxygen are required stoichiometrically per mole of each fuel gas species? How many moles/hr of each species are flowing in the fuel gas? How many moles/hr of oxygen are required stoichiometrically. How many moles/hr of oxygen are required if there is a 10 % excess. How many moles/hr of nitrogen accompany this amount of oxygen?

three equations are :
c4H10 + o2 --> CO2 + h20
c3H8 + o2 ---> CO2 + h20
c4h8 + 6o2 --> CO2 + h20

0.628moles will be present in the flue gas.

the flue gas in total contains 40.9moles

according to the reaction stoichiometry for component :
0.75moles c4h10 will require = 4.88moles of o2, 3.75 h20, 3.0 co2
0.10moles c3h8 will require = 0.5 o2, 0.4 h20, 0.3 co2
0.15 moles c4h8 will require = 0.90o2, 0.6 h20, 0.6 co2
in total 6.28moles,theres 10% excess so actual amount = 6.91moles

nitrogen - 25.974mol

please check the above info

darin khan said:
three equations are :
c4H10 + o2 --> CO2 + h20
c3H8 + o2 ---> CO2 + h20
c4h8 + 6o2 --> CO2 + h20
Let's start over. What are the three PROPERLY BALANCED chemical reaction equations?

Related to Solving Combustion Q: Find Steam Raised Per Hour

1. What is combustion and why is it important?

Combustion is a chemical reaction that occurs when a fuel and an oxidant (usually oxygen) combine to release energy in the form of heat and light. It is important because it is the primary source of energy for many industrial and domestic processes, such as heating, electricity generation, and transportation.

2. How is steam raised per hour related to combustion?

Steam raised per hour is a measure of the amount of steam produced by a combustion process in a given time period. This is important for determining the efficiency and capacity of a combustion system.

3. How do you calculate the steam raised per hour in a combustion process?

To calculate the steam raised per hour in a combustion process, you need to know the amount of fuel burned per hour, the energy content of the fuel, and the efficiency of the combustion system. This can be calculated using the formula: Steam Raised (kg/h) = Fuel Burned (kg/h) x Energy Content (kJ/kg) x Combustion Efficiency

4. What factors can affect the steam raised per hour in a combustion process?

The steam raised per hour in a combustion process can be affected by various factors, including the type and quality of fuel used, the design and efficiency of the combustion system, and the operating conditions (such as temperature and pressure).

5. How can the steam raised per hour in a combustion process be optimized?

The steam raised per hour in a combustion process can be optimized by ensuring that the combustion system is designed and maintained for maximum efficiency, using high-quality fuel, and controlling the operating conditions. Regular monitoring and tuning of the system can also help to improve the steam production rate.