For grad school, how much more helpful is it to have a BS?

In summary, the person is a junior at the University of Florida, double majoring in math and physics. They are planning their final year and are concerned about the difficulty of obtaining a BS in both fields and the impact it may have on their GPA and chances of getting into grad school. They are also worried about not having professors who know them well enough to write a recommendation and not being able to do research. However, dropping a major and getting a BA instead of a BS may not significantly affect their chances and a double major in math and physics is impressive regardless.
tjackson3
I want to go to grad school in applied math. Currently I'm a junior at the University of Florida, double majoring in math and physics. I'm planning out my final year, and I'm noticing that it becomes ludicrously hard to get a BS in both fields (especially because I am a transfer student, and the requirements to get the BS differ greatly between the two schools I've attended). Doing so would, I believe, hurt my GPA a lot and only contribute to the burn out I'm feeling because of the stress I'm under. I guess my question is: does it significantly hurt my chances of being accepted into grad school in the field that I like if I get the BA degree in these two fields rather than the BS?

I'm especially worried because right now, my chances of getting into grad school are somewhat dim. While my GPA is decent (3.5), having just transferred to a very large school, I have no professors who know me well enough to write me a recommendation, and due to some major issues I've been having, I haven't been able to get into any research.

Physics news on Phys.org
No one is going to really care that you got a BA rather than a BS, and a double major in math and physics is pretty impressive no matter what the degree title is. If you get overly stressed, you might consider dropping a major and then doing some sort of minor.

I don't think that your chances of getting into some graduate school somewhere are dim.

Very reassuring. Thanks!

Related to For grad school, how much more helpful is it to have a BS?

1. How much of an advantage does having a BS degree provide for grad school?

Having a BS degree can provide a significant advantage for grad school admissions. It demonstrates that you have completed a rigorous undergraduate curriculum and have a strong foundation in your field of study.

2. Will having a BS degree increase my chances of getting accepted into a competitive grad school program?

While having a BS degree does not guarantee acceptance into a competitive grad school program, it can certainly make you a more competitive applicant. Admissions committees often look for candidates who have a strong academic background and a BS degree can help demonstrate that.

3. How does having a BS degree compare to having a BA degree in terms of grad school admissions?

Having a BS degree is typically seen as more advantageous for grad school admissions compared to a BA degree. This is because BS degrees often require more coursework in a specific field of study and demonstrate a stronger foundation in that subject.

4. Can having a BS degree help with securing funding for grad school?

Yes, having a BS degree can help with securing funding for grad school. Many scholarships and grants require applicants to have a bachelor's degree, and having a BS degree can make you a more competitive candidate for these opportunities.

5. Is it possible to get into a good grad school program without a BS degree?

While it is possible to get into a good grad school program without a BS degree, it may be more challenging. Admissions committees often look for candidates with a strong academic background and a BS degree can help demonstrate that. It is important to research the specific requirements of the program you are interested in to determine if a BS degree is necessary for admission.