Following - how to control, question

• Thread starter symbolipoint
  • Start date
In summary, new members are following people without any indication of why, and it's unclear if this is a malicious act or if the member just doesn't understand how the community works.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
How do we control who is and who is not following us? How do we enable or reenable someone to follow us and how do we stop someone from following us?

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
You don't have control. Is there some reason for it?
Maybe. Not sure if this post should be made private or not but this -
Someone who just joined today, and has essentially posted nothing yet has already chosen to 'follow' me. This is suspiciously fast for my sensibility, without knowing anything about the member and without any indication of why. The fact that a member has a 'profile' page does NOT mean that we know anything about the member. Especially of a completely new member has has at most posted one posting onto the forums or vacuous content.

Likes ISamson
symbolipoint said:
This is suspiciously fast for my sensibility
Indeed, but it's a weird and dynamic community :)

What happens when you follow someone is their posts are added to your news feed:
https://www.physicsforums.com/account/news-feed

That is the extent of it. I wouldn't lose sleep over it :)

Likes ISamson
The imaginable way for me to try to find out is maybe to send a private message to the member and ask why. Member could possibly have a logical reason. I'll wait to see if the member actually posts something on the forum, so that something more about member might be learned.

Honestly some new members just don't understand how the community works and just start pressing buttons. It really happens often :DD:cry::biggrin:

Likes ISamson
Whenever you call me, I'll be there
Whenever you want me, I'll be there
Whenever you need me, I'll be there
I'll be around

No, I'm not following you. Honest.

We have various new users reading posts from others, and some of them click on the "follow" button. It probably means the user liked the post. Users with some badges are more likely to get followers, mentors get even more, and Greg has the most followers.

Every now and then some new member decides to follow me, and I never "hear" anything from them after that. If they can put up with my lame jokes, it's OK with me.

Likes lekh2003

Related to Following - how to control, question

1. How do I effectively control my following?

To effectively control your following, it is important to establish clear boundaries and expectations. Set guidelines for what is and is not acceptable behavior within the group. It is also important to lead by example and consistently enforce these boundaries.

2. How can asking questions help in controlling my following?

Asking questions can help in controlling your following by promoting critical thinking and encouraging group members to actively engage in discussions. It also allows for different perspectives to be heard and can help prevent groupthink.

3. Why is it important to maintain open communication with my following?

Maintaining open communication with your following is crucial for establishing trust and building strong relationships. It also allows for any issues or concerns to be addressed in a timely manner, preventing conflicts from escalating.

4. How can I handle disagreements within my following?

Disagreements within a following are inevitable, but it is important to handle them in a constructive and respectful manner. Encourage open communication and actively listen to both sides before making a decision. It may also be helpful to involve a neutral third party to mediate if necessary.

5. How can I encourage diversity within my following?

To encourage diversity within your following, actively seek out and value different perspectives and backgrounds. Create a welcoming and inclusive environment where everyone feels comfortable sharing their thoughts and ideas. Also, be aware of any biases or prejudices and address them if they arise.