Flux is not controllable in Direct Torque Control of IM

In summary, the individual is having trouble controlling the flux in their simulated direct torque and flux controlled induction motor. Despite successfully controlling torque, the flux seems to escape its hysteresis band after 0.1 seconds. Potential reasons for this issue include problems with the model or simulation setup, the control algorithm, or the limitations of the simulation tool being used. It is recommended to double check parameters and equations, adjust control parameters, and consider using a more advanced simulation tool for better results.
Ziya
Hi all,

I was trying to simulate a direct torque and flux controlled induction motor in simulink.
Even though I've managed to control torque within the band, i can't seem to be able to control the flux.
It stays for a while within its hysteresis band and escapes after about 0.1 sec and keeps on increasing, and about 0.2 secs later torque escapes its own band ( I am presuming its because of the rapidly increasing phase current sustaining the increasing flux). The switching table is giving the correct output.
What could be going wrong. I am using the simulink models of igbt universal bridge and induction motor.
Help!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It sounds like you have made some progress in controlling the torque, but are having trouble with controlling the flux. This can be a common issue in simulations, as it is difficult to accurately model all aspects of a complex system like an induction motor.

There are a few potential reasons why you may be experiencing this issue. One possibility is that there may be a problem with your model or simulation setup. I would recommend double checking all of your parameters and equations to ensure they are accurate and correctly implemented.

Another possibility is that the issue may lie with the control algorithm itself. Have you tried adjusting any of the control parameters to see if that improves the performance? It may also be helpful to review the literature on direct torque and flux control to see if there are any specific considerations or techniques that could improve your results.

Lastly, it may be worth considering using a more advanced simulation tool that is specifically designed for motor control applications. These tools often have more accurate and robust modeling capabilities, which could help you troubleshoot and improve your results.

I hope this helps, and best of luck in your simulations!

Related to Flux is not controllable in Direct Torque Control of IM

1. What is Direct Torque Control (DTC) of IM?

Direct Torque Control (DTC) of Induction Motors (IM) is a control technique used in electric motor drives to achieve high dynamic performance and efficient operation. It is a form of AC motor control that directly controls the torque and flux of the motor, without the use of a separate vector control system.

2. What is flux in DTC of IM?

Flux is the measure of the magnetic field strength in an electric motor. In DTC of IM, the flux is controlled by adjusting the stator voltage and frequency to achieve the desired torque output.

3. Why is flux not controllable in DTC of IM?

The flux in DTC of IM is not directly controlled because it is dependent on the stator voltage and frequency, which are controlled to achieve the desired torque output. Therefore, the flux is indirectly controlled through the torque control loop.

4. What are the consequences of not being able to control flux in DTC of IM?

Not being able to directly control flux in DTC of IM can lead to instabilities in the system and affect the accuracy of torque control. It can also result in a decrease in efficiency and increased motor heating.

5. Are there any alternative control techniques that allow for direct flux control in IM?

Yes, there are alternative control techniques such as Field Oriented Control (FOC) or Vector Control that allow for direct flux control in IM. However, these techniques are more complex and require additional sensors and calculations, making DTC a more popular choice for its simplicity and robustness.