First Time Potentially Failling/Getting a C in a course

In summary, if this type of post is not allowed then I completely understand if the mods have to remove it.
E01
If this type of post is not allowed then I completely understand if the mods have to remove it.
So I'm a first year Master's student and I'm soon about to take my Real Analysis final exam. I know I'm going to fail the exam most likely as I have to be able to remember all of the homeworks (which consists of about 120 problems each half a page to a page long). I've done below average on most of the quizzes.

I'm musing on whether or not I should continue going for a Master's given that I don't have enough talent/motivation to do well in this class. (The one's who are currently successful in the class study much more than I do, though they seem to do nothing else. I'm not sure that I want to live like that. I think that I might not enjoy math quite enough to spend all of my time doing it. I do enjoy it more than most other activities though.) Any advice on how to figure out what one should do in this sort of situation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi E01,

So sorry you're in this situation, but don't drop the program just because of one C grade. I don't know how your class is structured, but it's unlikely that you need to remember every problem you've done. That would be an inefficient way to prepare for an exam. I suggest you work with another classmate or even a group for most, if not all your first year classes. Collaboration is usually how students succeed their first year.

I think it'll also help if you participate in my grad POTWs. You don't have to submit a solution, but try to work the problems out in your own time. You'll see a solution (or multiple solutions) the following week.

Download real analysis qualifying exams online for extra practice. Look for those that have solutions in the archives so that you could check your work. Otherwise you can ask us to check your work or comment on it.

I'd advise you to study about 30 - 35 hrs a week. It's important to review your notes from class the same day after the lecture (rewriting them if necessary). Do a few homework problems a day -- do not wait until the night before to work on them. Finally, as I've said before, find a study partner or join a study group to share ideas and collaborate. You can really learn a lot of new things by listening to other students' ideas.

Don't give up so soon! Getting a low grade in one Master's math course does not mean you're untalented or unmotivated. Please take my advice and continue the study. Best wishes.

I would strongly urge you, in addition to Euge's fine advice, to memorize the basic facts about analysis. This would be basic definitions, and major theorems, and possibly a few proofs of some of the major theorems. Memorization has come on hard times recently, but I think it should never have been denigrated the way it has. Knowing the basic facts and having them at your fingertips is essential for being good at anything, as Why Don't Students Like School has demonstrated.

As a practical example, suppose you're working an algebra problem, and $9\times 7$ comes up. If you don't know immediately, without thinking, that it's $63$, then you have to use working (short-term) memory to compute it, which is both slower and less accurate than long-term memory. So you take a performance and accuracy hit there. Follow that up with the fact that the working memory slots you used for the multiplication are now not available for the algebra problem. So you have re-acquaint yourself with the algebra problem - another performance hit! On the other hand, if you did have $9\times 7=63$ at your fingertips, then you're not slowed down and you can simply plow ahead.

Ask your teacher what the basic facts, major theorems, and big ideas in analysis are, and commit those firmly to memory - to the extent that you don't have to think about it. It should be instant, accurate, total recall without thinking, just as if you were tying your shoes.

I wouldn't say that you spend all of your time studying maths. I don't do that and many don't do it. But you have to make sure that you understand the lectures in the first place. Maths depend on understanding more than studying. If you understand the proofs and concepts given by the lecturer then you should do well and you don't have to spend that much time. If you are having a hard time understanding the lectures, then it is natural that you spend an extra time studying the material. As others suggested don't drop the program because of one course because you might find yourself in another area.

Related to First Time Potentially Failling/Getting a C in a course

1. What should I do if I potentially fail a course for the first time?

If you are facing a potential failure in a course for the first time, the first step is to speak with your professor or academic advisor. They can provide guidance on your options, such as retaking the course or seeking tutoring support. It is important to address the issue as soon as possible to improve your chances of success.

2. Will getting a C in a course affect my future academic opportunities?

While a C may not be the ideal grade, it is still considered a passing grade in most courses. It is important to maintain a good overall GPA, but one C is unlikely to significantly impact your future academic opportunities. However, if you are concerned, you can consider retaking the course to improve your grade.

3. How can I avoid failing a course in the future?

If you are worried about failing a course, there are several steps you can take to improve your performance. These include attending class regularly, actively participating in discussions, seeking help from professors or tutors, and staying organized with your coursework. It is also important to prioritize your studies and manage your time effectively.

4. Is it possible to recover from a potential failure or C in a course?

Yes, it is possible to recover from a potential failure or a C in a course. Depending on your school's policies, you may be able to retake the course for a better grade. You can also focus on improving your performance in other courses to maintain a good overall GPA. Remember to also reflect on your study habits and make any necessary changes to prevent similar issues in the future.

5. How can I stay motivated after a potential failure or C in a course?

Experiencing a potential failure or receiving a C in a course can be discouraging, but it is important to stay motivated and not give up. Set realistic goals for yourself and break them down into smaller, manageable tasks. Seek support from friends, family, or a counselor if needed. Remember that one setback does not define your academic journey, and with determination and hard work, you can overcome it.