First order differential equations ?

In summary, the conversation discusses various recommendations for a good book to learn first order differential equations. Ross' book is recommended, along with supplements from either Boyce/Prima or Zill. The Terrabaun book is also mentioned, but some prefer Ross' book. The only complaint with Ross' book is the operator method section, while Zill's book has more explanation on Laplace Transform. Simmons' book is also suggested, but someone found the coverage lacking.
awholenumber
what is a good book to learn first order differential equations ??

Physics news on Phys.org
Other people, including myself, have recommended you titles. Please search your previous post.

Ross: Differential Equations
Maurris Terrabaun (Not sure how this is spelled): It is a dover title.
Zill or Boyce/Prima: These are the standard textbooks used at universities. Generic, but get the job done.

I would purchase Ross and supplement it with either Boyce/Prima or Zill.

The Terrabaun book is also nice, but for some reason I prefer Ross.

My only complaint with Ross, is that the operator method section can be hard to read for some people. A few of my friends found that section to be incoherent. I found it readable. Laplace Transform is explained well, but Zill gives a bit more explanation. That is the only thing I liked about ZIll.

Zill/Boyce have harder plug and chug problems.

The book by Simmons: Differential Equations with Applications and Historical Notes, is also nice. I found it to concise for my needs. Lots of thinking problems. It is an interesting read, like all of Simmons books. Found the coverage lacking.

MidgetDwarf ,

Shepley L. Ross - Differential Equations ,looks like a really nice book ...thanks a lot for all the book suggestions ...

MidgetDwarf said:
Ross: Differential Equations
Maurris Terrabaun (Not sure how this is spelled): It is a dover title.
Zill or Boyce/Prima: These are the standard textbooks used at universities. Generic, but get the job done.

I would purchase Ross and supplement it with either Boyce/Prima or Zill.

The Terrabaun book is also nice, but for some reason I prefer Ross.

My only complaint with Ross, is that the operator method section can be hard to read for some people. A few of my friends found that section to be incoherent. I found it readable. Laplace Transform is explained well, but Zill gives a bit more explanation. That is the only thing I liked about ZIll.

Zill/Boyce have harder plug and chug problems.

The book by Simmons: Differential Equations with Applications and Historical Notes, is also nice. I found it to concise for my needs. Lots of thinking problems. It is an interesting read, like all of Simmons books. Found the coverage lacking.
MidgetDwarf, what are the topics that you found lacking in the book by Simmons?

Related to First order differential equations ?

What is a first-order differential equation?

A first-order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its derivative. The derivative in this case is a first derivative, which means it is the rate of change of the function with respect to the independent variable.

What is the general form of a first-order differential equation?

The general form of a first-order differential equation is dy/dx = f(x,y), where y is the dependent variable and x is the independent variable. The function f(x,y) represents the relationship between the two variables and can be expressed in various forms, such as algebraic, trigonometric, or exponential.

What are the methods for solving first-order differential equations?

There are several methods for solving first-order differential equations, including separation of variables, integrating factors, and substitution. Each method has its advantages and is used depending on the specific form of the equation.

What are the applications of first-order differential equations?

First-order differential equations have numerous applications in various fields, including physics, chemistry, engineering, and economics. They are used to model and predict the behavior of dynamic systems, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.

What are some common mistakes when solving first-order differential equations?

One common mistake when solving first-order differential equations is not checking for initial conditions. These are necessary to find the particular solution of the equation. Another mistake is not simplifying the final solution, which can lead to incorrect answers. It is also essential to check for any algebraic or arithmetic errors while solving the equation.