Finding the Right Book for Self-Studying Discrete Math

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for a good book for self-studying Discrete Math. One person suggests a free online version of a book that they found interesting and plans to take the class again. Another person prefers a physical book and is considering purchasing "Discrete Mathematics and its Applications" or "Discrete and Combinatorial Mathematics, an Applied Introduction". They mention that the latter includes extra material for further study.
Nothing000
I am planning on self studyint Discrete Math. What would be a good book for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't use this book. But here is a free online version:
http://www.macalester.edu/~hutchinson/book/book.html

I skimmed through it and it seems cool. I hated math when I took Discrete math. Now that I'm in a different mindset, I want to go back and take the class :)

It'll be interesting to see what people recommend, because I'm pretty sure... I'm going to be doing the same thing as you soon.

For some reason I can't "get into" books on the computer. I have to hold it, and highlight stuff. I also want something that focusses more on application.
I am looking at this book:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0750306521/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I have found it for $25. Has anyone ever used this book?

Last edited by a moderator:
I accidently posted that last comment twice. Whoops.

Last edited:
The book I used was by Kenneth Rosen - Discrete Mathematics and its Applications 5e. I can't really say if it's a great book or not, but it equips you with pretty much the necessary tools needed to know the material.

Frogpad: I also hated the class. Some stuff was interesting (especially the number theory and graph theory material), but I really disliked the combinatoric section (just not something I'm a fan of).

The book I used, "Discrete and Combinatorial Mathematics, an Applied Introduction" by Ralph P. Grimaldi (5e) is pretty comprehensive and includes a lot of extra material for further study.

Related to Finding the Right Book for Self-Studying Discrete Math

1. What is the best way to determine my level of understanding in discrete math?

The best way to determine your level of understanding in discrete math is to take a diagnostic test or quiz. This will help identify any areas where you may need more practice or review, and allow you to focus your self-study efforts accordingly.

2. What are some recommended resources for self-studying discrete math?

Some recommended resources for self-studying discrete math include textbooks, online courses, video lectures, practice problems, and interactive tutorials. It's important to find resources that explain the concepts clearly and provide ample practice opportunities.

3. How can I stay motivated while self-studying discrete math?

One way to stay motivated while self-studying discrete math is to set specific goals for yourself, such as completing a certain number of practice problems or chapters in a textbook each day. It can also be helpful to find a study group or accountability partner to keep you on track and to discuss difficult concepts with.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong math background before studying discrete math?

While having a strong math background can be helpful, it is not necessarily required to study discrete math. However, some basic knowledge of algebra and logic can make the concepts easier to understand. It's important to start with introductory material and work your way up to more advanced topics.

5. How can I apply my knowledge of discrete math in real-life situations?

Discrete math has many practical applications in various fields, such as computer science, engineering, and cryptography. By understanding concepts such as logic, algorithms, and graph theory, you can solve problems and make decisions more efficiently in these areas. Additionally, learning discrete math can help improve problem-solving skills in general.