Finding the Minimum Work Done for a Thermodynamic Process

In summary: Oh I actually was not aware of that. So the change in entropy is zero because the heat leaving the hot object is equal in magnitude for the heat entering the cold cold object (##dS= \frac{dQ}{T})##)? The only thing then that concerns me with that logic is I believe T refers to the heat of the object so the hot one has a larger denominator throughout the...
Potatochip911

Homework Statement

Given two indistinguishable objects at the same initial temperature ##T_i##, calculate the minimum work done by a refrigerator functioning between the two objects till one of the objects reaches a new temperature ##T_2##, assume constant heat capacities and constant pressure.

a) Prove ##W^{min}_{on} = C_p[(\frac{T_i^2}{T_2})+T_2-2T_i]##

b) Now prove it using ##W_{by} \leq -\Delta A##, are there any other requirements necessary for the results from a) and b) to agree?

Homework Equations

##dU = \delta Q_{in} + \delta W_{on}##
##\delta W_{quas} = -PdV##
##dS=\frac{\delta Q_{quas}}{T}##
##C_P=\left(\frac{\delta Q_{rev}}{dT}\right)_P##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
For part a:

Since it's constant pressure ##\delta Q_{rev} = C_pdT##, now since there's two objects I think the total heat is ##Q_{revT} = C_p\int_{T_i}^{T_2}dT + C_p\int_{T_i}^{T_h}dT## where ##T_h## is the final temperature of the object that isn't being cooled, I believe the heat of this object goes up. Factoring and integrating gives ##Q_{revT} = C_p(T_2-T_i+T_h-T_i) = C_p(T_2-2T_i+T_h)##

Edit: Ok I've managed to get the answer but frankly I don't know how to justify what I've done.

For the change in entropy we have $$\Delta S = C_p\int_{T_i}^{T_2}\frac{dT}{T}+C_p\int_{T_i}^{T_h}\frac{dT}{T} = C_p\ln(\frac{T_2}{T_i})+C_p\ln(\frac{T_h}{T_i})=C_p\ln(\frac{T_2T_h}{T_i^2})$$

Now if I set the change in entropy equal to zero I can get ##T_h = \frac{T_i^2}{T_2}## which plugging into the above expression gives the answer but I don't see why ##\delta S = 0## and it seems volume remains constant as well which gives the result ##W_{on} = -Q_{in}##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Potatochip911 said:

Homework Statement

Given two indistinguishable objects at the same initial temperature ##T_i##, calculate the minimum work done by a refrigerator functioning between the two objects till one of the objects reaches a new temperature ##T_2##, assume constant heat capacities and constant pressure.

a) Prove ##W^{min}_{on} = C_p[(\frac{T_i^2}{T_2})+T_2-2T_i]##

b) Now prove it using ##W_{by} \leq -\Delta A##, are there any other requirements necessary for the results from a) and b) to agree?

Homework Equations

##dU = \delta Q_{in} + \delta W_{on}##
##\delta W_{quas} = -PdV##
##dS=\frac{\delta Q_{quas}}{T}##
##C_P=\left(\frac{\delta Q_{rev}}{dT}\right)_P##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
For part a:

Since it's constant pressure ##\delta Q_{rev} = C_pdT##, now since there's two objects I think the total heat is ##Q_{revT} = C_p\int_{T_i}^{T_2}dT + C_p\int_{T_i}^{T_h}dT## where ##T_h## is the final temperature of the object that isn't being cooled, I believe the heat of this object goes up. Factoring and integrating gives ##Q_{revT} = C_p(T_2-T_i+T_h-T_i) = C_p(T_2-2T_i+T_h)##

Edit: Ok I've managed to get the answer but frankly I don't know how to justify what I've done.

For the change in entropy we have $$\Delta S = C_p\int_{T_i}^{T_2}\frac{dT}{T}+C_p\int_{T_i}^{T_h}\frac{dT}{T} = C_p\ln(\frac{T_2}{T_i})+C_p\ln(\frac{T_h}{T_i})=C_p\ln(\frac{T_2T_h}{T_i^2})$$

Now if I set the change in entropy equal to zero I can get ##T_h = \frac{T_i^2}{T_2}## which plugging into the above expression gives the answer but I don't see why ##\delta S = 0## and it seems volume remains constant as well which gives the result ##W_{on} = -Q_{in}##
What part of it are you uncomfortable with? You are aware that, when you are referring to the amount of work, you are talking about the work that the working fluid in the refrigeration cycle has to do, not to work done by the two objects, correct?

Likes Potatochip911
Chestermiller said:
What part of it are you uncomfortable with? You are aware that, when you are referring to the amount of work, you are talking about the work that the working fluid in the refrigeration cycle has to do, not to work done by the two objects, correct?

Oh I actually was not aware of that. So the change in entropy is zero because the heat leaving the hot object is equal in magnitude for the heat entering the cold cold object (##dS= \frac{dQ}{T})##)? The only thing then that concerns me with that logic is I believe T refers to the heat of the object so the hot one has a larger denominator throughout the integral.

Potatochip911 said:
Oh I actually was not aware of that. So the change in entropy is zero because the heat leaving the hot object is equal in magnitude for the heat entering the cold object (##dS= \frac{dQ}{T})##)?
No. Less heat leaves the cold object than enters the hot object. That's why the two entropy changes are the same.
$$Q_h=C(T_h-T_i)$$
$$Q_C=C(T_2-T_i)$$
The sum of these two heats is equal to the work that the working fluid has to do.

Likes Potatochip911
Chestermiller said:
No. Less heat leaves the cold object than enters the hot object.

Is this a consequence of work being put into the refrigerator?

Chestermiller said:
The sum of these two heats is equal to the work that the working fluid has to do.

How do we know that the internal energy of the working fluid doesn't change?

Edit: Ok I see now that we didn't set internal energy equal to zero for the working fluid but the work done by the fluid is 0 and then the sum of the internal energies of the working fluid is equal to the work. I don't understand why that sum gives work

Last edited:
Potatochip911 said:
Is this a consequence of work being put into the refrigerator?
A refrigerator works by pumping heat from a cold object and rejecting a greater amount of heat to a hot object (usually, the surrounding room).

How do we know that the internal energy of the working fluid doesn't change?
The working fluid is subjected to a cycle. Actually, as the hot body gets hotter and the cold body gets colder, the size of the cycle applied to the working fluid expands gradually, but the deviation from a perfect cycle in any pass is regarded as negligible. So, as in any cycle, since internal energy is a state function, it does not change over a cycle.
Edit: Ok I see now that we didn't set internal energy equal to zero for the working fluid but the work done by the fluid is 0 and then the sum of the internal energies of the working fluid is equal to the work. I don't understand why that sum gives work
Since the change in internal energy over any cycle is zero, the work done on the working fluid is equal to the heat discharged to the hot reservoir minus the heat removed from the cold reservoir.

Likes Potatochip911
Chestermiller said:
A refrigerator works by pumping heat from a cold object and rejecting a greater amount of heat to a hot object (usually, the surrounding room).The working fluid is subjected to a cycle. Actually, as the hot body gets hotter and the cold body gets colder, the size of the cycle applied to the working fluid expands gradually, but the deviation from a perfect cycle in any pass is regarded as negligible. So, as in any cycle, since internal energy is a state function, it does not change over a cycle.

Since the change in internal energy over any cycle is zero, the work done on the working fluid is equal to the heat discharged to the hot reservoir minus the heat removed from the cold reservoir.

Thanks this all makes a lot of sense now!

Related to Finding the Minimum Work Done for a Thermodynamic Process

1. What is the minimum work done for a thermodynamic process?

The minimum work done for a thermodynamic process is the amount of energy required to move a system from one state to another while maintaining equilibrium. It is also known as the reversible work, as it represents the maximum amount of work that can be extracted from the system without causing any changes to the surroundings.

2. How is the minimum work done calculated?

The minimum work done is calculated using the formula Wmin = ∫PdV, where P is the pressure and dV is the change in volume of the system. This integral represents the area under the curve of a pressure-volume graph, and it can be calculated using calculus.

3. Why is finding the minimum work done important?

Finding the minimum work done is important because it allows us to determine the efficiency of a thermodynamic process. The closer the actual work done is to the minimum work done, the more efficient the process is. It also helps in understanding the energy requirements for a process and optimizing it for maximum efficiency.

4. Can the minimum work done be negative?

No, the minimum work done cannot be negative. It is always a positive value as it represents the minimum amount of work required to move the system from one state to another. If the actual work done is negative, it means that the system is doing work on the surroundings, which goes against the definition of the minimum work done.

5. How does the minimum work done relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

The minimum work done is related to the first and second laws of thermodynamics. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. The minimum work done represents the amount of energy needed for a process, which cannot be less than the actual work done. The second law states that in any thermodynamic process, the total amount of energy remains constant, but there is always some energy loss due to entropy. The minimum work done takes into account this energy loss and represents the maximum possible work that can be extracted from the system.